>> Providence Northwest Neighborhoods

runawayjim

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I call downtown Downcity, I like it, I think it sounds nice and it gives Providence a bit of character. Does anyone know if there is a Downtown vs. Center City issue in Philadelphia, or is it decidedly "Center City."

On 95 they have lots of signs telling people which exit to take for different parts of the city now that old 195 is closed northbound. The construction signs say "Downcity" (there's also one for the "Courthouse District" that's the "Parking Lot District" isn't it?), but the Big Green highway signs for the Civic Center exit say "Downtown."

I call downtown Downcity, I like it, I think it sounds nice and it gives Providence a bit of character. Does anyone know if there is a Downtown vs. Center City issue in Philadelphia, or is it decidedly "Center City."

On 95 they have lots of signs telling people which exit to take for different parts of the city now that old 195 is closed northbound. The construction signs say "Downcity" (there's also one for the "Courthouse District" that's the "Parking Lot District" isn't it?), but the Big Green highway signs for the Civic Center exit say "Downtown."

There was a Red Lobster on Route 132 in Hyannis on the Cape for about 20 minutes a few years ago. I think there was a tear in the space time continuum that made it visible for that short time. The people across the street at Cooke's Seafood didn't even look up from their clam rolls long enough to notice it.

There was a Red Lobster on Route 132 in Hyannis on the Cape for about 20 minutes a few years ago. I think there was a tear in the space time continuum that made it visible for that short time. The people across the street at Cooke's Seafood didn't even look up from their clam rolls long enough to notice it.

I don't know where I got Silver Spring from but I've always known it as that for some reason. Isn't the road that AAA is on considered the Silver Spring industrial park or something? Maybe that's where I got it from.

• 3 months later...

I'm in the process of buying a house. I'll be moving back to Elmhurst, this time in the lower Elmhurst Chalkstone/Pleasant Valley Parkway area. I can't wait, though I will miss living on the Hill and being able to walk everywhere. Now I just need to sublet my apartment.

Well good luck to you and your young bride. I guess now is the time the buy, but I think home prices will continue to decline in this dismal economy. Does your wife like Providence? I think the Pleasant Valley Parkway area would be a good area for you to look at. Actually, most of the Elmhurst/Academy/Mt. Pleasant neighborhoods are nice. Planning having children any time soon? :)

Not a clue on children. We're buying in the Parkway area. While prices may continue to decline, we couldn't pass up the deal we were able to get on this house. We looked at a lot in the Elmhurst area in our price range and everything, except this one, needed at lease some amount of work.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to mention to anyone interested that there's going to be a community meeting with Councilman Solomon and Rep Giannini to discuss ways to slow traffic on Pleasant Valley Parkway. The organizers are in favor (as am I) of making it back to 2 one way streets (similar to Blackstone Blvd) with bike/jogging lanes. Apparently it was switched to 2 two way streets about 25 years ago. The meeting will be on May 13 at 7pm at Capitol Ridge on Smith St.

Archived