Nashville's riverfront development

Skyscrapergeek

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm excited about this. Please, please, please find a way to relocate the metal recycling plant.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?se...p;news_id=51658

I'm pumped about the unveiling of Hargreaves Associate's plan for Nashville's waterfront. These guys, who designed the Olympic Park in Sydney, Australia, and crafted the master plan for Chattanooga

I'm excited about this. Please, please, please find a way to relocate the metal recycling plant.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?se...p;news_id=51658

Yes!!!, the scrap metal company must be relocated. Once the river cleans up we should see all typs of development's on the East side of the river.

Hargreaves Associates looks like excellent choice for this vision for the river. The company has done great work.

Yes!!!, the scrap metal company must be relocated. Once the river cleans up we should see all typs of development's on the East side of the river.

Hargreaves Associates looks like excellent choice for this vision for the river. The company has done great work.

I have it from a source that it won't be until another 3 years that some special incentives that were given to the Titans expire. They predicted that there wouldn't be any big projects announced until that they sunsetted. Does anyone have any insight into this?

The riverfront plan probably will just be starting to come into full swing by then though :D .

They just brought us the renderings to mount for tonight meeting. Wow! This looks like a very ambitious plan. The plans call for the stadium site to become an island by bringing part of the river along I-24. Almost all the industrial buildings on the east bank would be gone.

They just brought us the renderings to mount for tonight meeting. Wow! This looks like a very ambitious plan. The plans call for the stadium site to become an island by bringing part of the river along I-24. Almost all the industrial buildings on the east bank would be gone.

Say what?! You mean like a river walk (a la San Antonio)? Damn that would be interesting. What would the industrial buildings be replaced by? The scrapyard too?

Wow!!!! That sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see those renderings. Even though the finished product is years away--this could be the project that takes Nashville downtown/riverfront to a whole other (previously unimaginable) level.

If it comes to be reality and if it is as great and ambitious as it sounds this will be one of the most important projects for Nashville.

Would like to leave a request... those of you who go, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take pictures and post them here tonight!!!!!

PLLLLLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!

Ditto from me. I can't wait to hear the scoop. This may be one of the most exciting announcements to come in a long time!

Thanks for that. I am extremely excited about this, and that's an understatement. Looking at those renderings, I truly can't wait. I would LOVE to have that island thing going on. It would be HUGE, ambitious, one-of-a-kind, and simply AMAZING, which right now would completely tip Nashville over the edge, and make it a major national city. Even if they go with the first choice, this will still be huge. I'm looking forward to seeing more detailed renderings, maybe up close.

Thanks for that. I am extremely excited about this, and that's an understatement. Looking at those renderings, I truly can't wait. I would LOVE to have that island thing going on. It would be HUGE, ambitious, one-of-a-kind, and simply AMAZING, which right now would completely tip Nashville over the edge, and make it a major national city. Even if they go with the first choice, this will still be huge. I'm looking forward to seeing more detailed renderings, maybe up close.

I totally agree. This is extrememly exciting. I hope they go for the island, even though it will cost "an arm and a leg." What it would add to the quality of life for this city would be difficult to calculate.

That's true. Nashville needs parks within walking distance to downtown, and think this should cover that. I don't know if I would rather have this or mass transit. I might actually rather have this, which is saying a whole lot for it just being a park. But this park really is huge. It'll be exciting to see what they do with the space.

The history of pollution of the Cumberland is really a complex issue spanning decades and decades of use and misuse. From storm water and feeder streams, to industrial plants such as the alum dumped into the Cumberland by the Ford Motor Co., to the actual deposit of sewerage into the waters all have contributed over the years to the river's declining quality. But, that's all changing. I wish I was able to communicate these changes, but the water quality is better now than it's been in many, many years and will continue to improve.

Here's a sampling of what you might find in your searches, it's quite encouraging. The river now meets state and federal quality guidelines. Here's a snippet. The cost of this Overflow Abatement Program was almost $700 million. But worth every penny. This river is almost clean.

"The OAP, with construction costs in excess of $700 million, has three basic components: wastewater treatment plant and pump station design, combined sewer projects, and sanitary sewer projects. On November 25, 2002, Tennessee's governor, Nashville's mayor and representatives from the USEPA Region 4 office held a press conference on the banks of the Cumberland River. At the ceremony, it was announced that 33 miles of the Cumberland River and multiple tributary streams now meet state and federal water quality standards and have been removed from the list of polluted rivers."

http://www.cte.aecom.com/MarketsAndServices/39/66/index.jsp

I was at the presentation tonight. Pretty amazing stuff. I look forward to hearing and seeing more. Much more.

It seems that one of the city's biggest battles will be to communicate these successes and put the outdated view of the river as a polluted mess to rest once and for all.

That's true. Nashville needs parks within walking distance to downtown, and think this should cover that. I don't know if I would rather have this or mass transit. I might actually rather have this, which is saying a whole lot for it just being a park. But this park really is huge. It'll be exciting to see what they do with the space.

How about getting both? The plan they presented tonight suggests a tram line (YAY!!! :D ) connecting East Nashville and Germantown (thru downtown) in a V shape. They mentioned that this was similar to how the hugely successful Portland tram was started. That was definitely my favourite suggestion on the night.

Overall, I was a bit disappointed (believe it or not). Although I was happy with their suggestions for a transit-linked system to connect the riverfronts and neighborhoods and preserving the old Nashville Bridge building, I thought there was entirely too much of a focus on green space for the East Bank. Having gone to many successful waterfronts recently (Hamburg, Boston, Washington) I feel that having developments that interact and are directly addressing the river really create a focus on the rivers that passive parks cannot do on their own. I realize it is early in the process, and I made my suggestions. I hope they will take them into account with future plans.

Archived