Nashville's riverfront development

Skyscrapergeek

This may be the first sign of the riverfront development. The Titans are to try turf parking. This is from the Tennessean today. I hope this is at least a fist step and they agree to do the rest of the parking lots. Number 1 from the look they will get with all of the trees and number 2 the water run off into the river will be greatly reduced. Both of these issues are environmental as well as. The huge parking lots help sustain the urban heat island effect and the water will be able to filter through the turf system reducing oil, gas, and other fluids polluting the water directly.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...S0202/803090394

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome! I think this will make a HUGE visual impact, and I'm glad the Titans are tentatively signing on... I was afraid they would resist. As much as I usually hate the people who post at the bottom of Tennessean stories, they did raise a valid question today; who's paying for this, and shouldn't Bud chip in some?

An article today from Richard at the the City Paper.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=59172

Finally they are calling for private funds to help develop the riverfront and used Memphis and Chattanooga as examples. I do not understand why this has not been looked at before, but I am glad that someone is taking notice. This is encouraging.

• 5 months later...

Some new developments here:

I am using my phone to post this so I am unable to copy/paste the link to the Tennessean article (it's tiny anyway) so I'll just type a clip of it.

"Mayor Karl Dean has asked the MDHA to oversee redevelopment of Nashville's downtown riverfront and will include redevelopment funding in his capital spending plan, he plans to announce today.

'The Cumberland river should be the focal point of our city,' Dean said in a news release."

Looks like they're giving the go-ahead. They're going to include just about everything that was in the original plan it looks like as well plus a "private development along the Cumberland" too -might be something to look out for.

Chris Koster will lead development and Ed Owens of Gresham Smith & Partners will be director.

(Legal- Article by Michael Cass. Article courtesy of The Tennessean)

Very good news indeed. Chattanooga has literally reinvented itself with a $120 Million waterfront development project that has become a model for such projects all over the nation. The enhanced quality of life downtown was a major factor in the landing of the VW assembly plant here. A well thought out waterfront project in Nashville can have a profound effect on the quality of life in Nashville and contribute to significant growth in the downtown area and to the entire metropolitan area.

Funny that Dean approved a project intended for Purcell. I liked him at the time but looking back, he was kind of a do nothing mayor. I just 1 year, Dean has approved a new convention center, started waterfront redevelopment, and intends to start up a new mass transit system throughout metro Nashville. What did Purcell do? Well he built a bridge and courthouse and it took him 4 years to do that too.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in Chattanooga at the moment and decided to check out the riverfront while I'm here. Hankster is absolutely right; it's amazing! It sends a vibe that can be felt all through town while giving a sense of pride in the area. No wonder the city is reaping so many benefits! I only hope Nashville can match Chattanooga in it's riverfront endevor and do it in a way that says we care about our land/our home enough to make it attractive and presentable. God knows Chattanooga has!

• 2 weeks later...

so for history's sake, what happened to this building?

riverfrontterminal.jpg

"The Ozburn-Hessey Terminal building could become a focal point for a planned waterfront park, if Metro Government accepts either of two proposals for development of the building into a tourist attraction. (Jimmy Ellis / The Tennessean) 9/2/1976"

from the Tennessean link

It was a river terminal that was built around 1921. What were the plans for it as an attraction, and why were these decided against?

• 4 months later...

Still.. its encouraging that they are more or less ready to start.. I wonder what alternative they have planned for the March 7 meeting? I think starting with the Adventure Park is just fine.. it sounds really cool.

• 2 months later...

Dean's capital budget includes $ for the riverfront:

$30 million for riverfront redevelopment, including the Adventure Play Park, the NABRICO building and NABRICO gardens, the east bank River Lawn, a new east bank redevelopment district, and the First & Broadway Overlook, City Wharf and Pioneer Walk on the west bank

http://blogs.tennessean.com/politics/2009/...capital-budget/

thats a good link... i like the part where they want to create a non country music festival. yea for country, but i miss river stages... and music city is about encompassing more than just country, its all music, and nashville needs to realize that very very soon.... this is what will keep us going.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Karl Dean has officially set aside 30 million for phase I of the riverfront development, does anyone know when exactly construction is supposed to start?

From what I understand.. the Mayor has submitted his 'recommended budget'.. but it still has to be voted on by Metro Council.. which happens in June.

I assume money starts getting distributed in July? But i dont really know.

I found this:

http://www.nashville.gov/Citizens_Budget/2...rocess_text.asp

From what I understand.. the Mayor has submitted his 'recommended budget'.. but it still has to be voted on by Metro Council.. which happens in June.

I assume money starts getting distributed in July? But i dont really know.

I found this:

http://www.nashville.gov/Citizens_Budget/2...rocess_text.asp

Mike Jameson is my Councilman, and at our last neighborhood meeting he said that construction of the Adventure Park would probably get started next year and would take a few years to complete.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived