Nashville's riverfront development

Skyscrapergeek

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

Something to look forward to this year. From the Tennessean:

JAE S. LEE / File, The Tennessean

Construction on the first phase of the riverfront master plan, which will include an approximately $12.5 million adventure play park on the east bank, is expected to begin this summer. An overlook at First Avenue and Broadway and an east bank river lawn are also in the riverfront plans first phase.

Tennesean slide show

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The play park and renovation of the Nabrico building are supposed to start this fall, both to open next year.

Nabrico will become offices for the parks dept, as well as concession stand and restrooms.

Going from this:

1396651-300-0-1.jpg

To this:

1396661-300-0-1.jpg

citylimits1-1.jpg

More info at the Scene...

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/metros-plans-to-make-over-the-century-old-nabrico-riverfront-complex-are-impressive-andmdash-with-one-major-exception/Content?oid=1694845

That's really going to be a beautiful transformation! It'll look so much better though I hope that long-term something higher use than the parks department goes in. Is it too insane to dream of a nice restaurant on the river?

Looking at the Adventure Play Park's plans again last night reminded me how much activity the project should add to the riverfront. It may really serve as the spark that gets Nashvillians down to our waterfront.

I remember years ago driving across the Shelby street bridge behind a large limo with Hillsborough County Florida (Tampa) license plates as it turned into the elevated parking deck of the Nabrico Bldg. I assumed it was George Steinbrenner. Nashville Bridge, at that time, was a subsidiary of American Ship Building, the Steinbrenner owned company and he was from Tampa.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

<p>Took a few shots of the construction going on around the NABRICO building and park. </p>

<p> </p>

<p><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/66619038@N03/sets/72157627501460652/with/6073191635/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/66619038@N03/sets/72157627501460652/with/6073191635/</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<div>

</div>

<div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

<div>

</div>

</div>

Awesome sauce. Thanks for the pictorial update, the riverfront park looks to be shaping up as an awesome amenity for Nashville. Maybe it will draw more residents to the downtown area. I'm not sure what's going on with the Nabrico building. As of now it looks like a hot mess, but I'll definitely withhold judgement until the picture becomes clearer. I like the glass enclosed elevator (I think that's what it is). It, and the landscaping and architecture of the park reminds me of some of the projects that Seoul has undertaken at its riverfront. This is exciting stuff and long overdue.

• 2 months later...

One thing that I forgot about on the project list was the next phase of the Riverfront redevelopment that is suppose to start next year.

http://www.nashville-mdha.org/pdfs/Riverfront_Phase_I_projects.pdf

Some of you downtown residents know a lot more on the specifics of the next phase. Please enlighten me a little more.

One thing that I forgot about on the project list was the next phase of the Riverfront redevelopment that is suppose to start next year.

http://www.nashville..._I_projects.pdf

Some of you downtown residents know a lot more on the specifics of the next phase. Please enlighten me a little more.

Do you know which part is suppose to start next year?

I think the riverfront development is going to be huge boost to downtown. Much more than any building in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

while I am excited about something happening on our Riverfront, I believe an amphitheatre would be best located on the East Bank, and a very nicely done park like this would be best for the Thermal Plant Site.

http://www.google.com/search?q=palace+of+fine+arts+san+francisco&um=1&hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&ei=PjlWT7bfEse10AHwvfipCg&sa=N&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=6094l11563l0l11875l13l13l3l0l0l0l235l1375l0.8.1l9l0&oq=palace+of+fine+arts+san+francisco&aq=f&aqi=g4g-S5g-mS1&aql=

is there any update on the Thermal site? It has to be perfect for whatever goes there.

I love the Riverfront Plan, and I think Cumberland Park looks very slick and inviting. However, and this is something I've wondered for awhile, once people are drawn to the park, what exactly is there for people to do there other than walk, sit, and stand?

Maybe some enterprising family will bring a ball?

Hahaha...touche'...I guess I had just always assumed there would be some sort of attraction there since they had always branded it a 'family fun park' or whatever. Either way it's a great addition.

Archived