Nashville's riverfront development

Skyscrapergeek

while I am excited about something happening on our Riverfront, I believe an amphitheatre would be best located on the East Bank, and a very nicely done park like this would be best for the Thermal Plant Site.

http://www.google.co...g4g-S5g-mS1=

is there any update on the Thermal site? It has to be perfect for whatever goes there.

That development in San Francisco far succeeds any attempt Nashville would make for such a development. I don't think that would go well here, and many Nashville residents may even find that type of architecture offensive for being too "fancy" for Nashville. Remember architecture standards here in Nashville are fairly low compared to many cities in the country.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That development in San Francisco far succeeds any attempt Nashville would make for such a development. I don't think that would go well here, and many Nashville residents may even find that type of architecture offensive for being too "fancy" for Nashville. Remember architecture standards here in Nashville are fairly low compared to many cities in the country.

Actually, that building in San Francisco resembles the band shell that was in East Park in East Nashville. East Park was created after the 1916 fire wiped out one entire block (and parts of other blocks) of the old city of Edgefield. So later in 1916 Nashville turned that block into East Park and built a beautiful bandshell in the Beaux Arts style similar to the one shown. Unfortunately, that band shell was razed during the "Urban Renewal" projects in the '50s and '60s and even many houses that once faced the park were also razed. So it's not that these styles are "too fancy" for Nashville, it's just that so much of that type of architecture in Nashville is long gone. Which is too bad, because that type of architecture is now outrageously expensive to reproduce. (Would the city of San Francisco even go to the expense to build something today that was in style 100 years ago, or would they build a contemporary building?) That's why I am amazed at the Schermerhorn building: it looks like a Beaux Arts building from the turn of the last century. Then again, the Schermerhorn just goes to show you that if you have enough money (especially private money) and vision, you can build good buildings even in Nashville.

Disagree. Schermerhorn and the Parthenon are both beautiful and underrated buildings in Nashville. I think something of similar style and architecture would be great for the Thermal Site.

However, I think an amphitheatre will go there. too bad

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha...touche'...I guess I had just always assumed there would be some sort of attraction there since they had always branded it a 'family fun park' or whatever. Either way it's a great addition.

Also, read this, the latest post in the Dream Cities blog on Salon for more on the over-design and excessive programming of most new parks. As the writer says, there's nothing inherently wrong with an architecture intensive park and/or one with many specific and proscribed uses. On the other hand, neither is there anything wrong with a park that only provides open space and leaves it to the user to determine what to do with it.

• 2 months later...

According to CP, all who don't beat the crowd to Rolling Mill Hill for 4th of July, will be viewing the symphony from the Thermal Plant site.

However, I am undecided on this use of the site. I REALLY feel like there should be something a bit... well, more welcoming and grand there. It is, after all, the gateway to SoBro from the east.

http://nashvillecity...th-july-concert

• 2 weeks later...

The Lawn at Riverfront Park can be both a green space for downtown residences and a grand venue. Think Sydney Opera House shell on the river. The mayor has said that this 11 acres should be a signature space. The Aquarium Chattanooga is also a good example. Besides Martha Ingram is'nt going to let the symphony play in a ugly space.

The Lawn at Riverfront Park can be both a green space for downtown residences and a grand venue. Think Sydney Opera House shell on the river. The mayor has said that this 11 acres should be a signature space. The Aquarium Chattanooga is also a good example. Besides Martha Ingram is'nt going to let the symphony play in a ugly space.

I would love to see this be turned into something like a smaller version of Philadelphia's Mann Center. A large open-air symphony/concert venue that has a band shell and some seating up front, and a large lawn where you can enjoy the show. Sort of a classier Starwood. Nashville would do well to have that sort of high-visibility space to showcase the symphony to a wider public than may be willing to wander in to the Schermerhorn.

Archived