How to go about getting your household trash picked up

Veloise

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recycle like crazy, putting all my plastics and containers and newspapers out for pick-up. Feels good.

Only big problem is kitty litter; helps to work at a place with a large dumpster.

I couldn't believe they shut down my other thread concerning this topic! I'm only curious if people are satisfied with the city collection services before I decide if I want it for our house or if we should go private. I'm a high school teacher, not a businessman looking to start up a new business. But if I can't ask that, I guess I can't ask that.

Oh well...I do recycle quite a bit, although perhaps not as much as I should. I let alot of my junkmail slip through into the trash, when I should recycle much of it. My wife shreds quite a bit too, so I guess thats good, if we recycle all that.

I couldn't believe they shut down my other thread concerning this topic! I'm only curious if people are satisfied with the city collection services before I decide if I want it for our house or if we should go private. I'm a high school teacher, not a businessman looking to start up a new business. But if I can't ask that, I guess I can't ask that.

Oh well...I do recycle quite a bit, although perhaps not as much as I should. I let alot of my junkmail slip through into the trash, when I should recycle much of it. My wife shreds quite a bit too, so I guess thats good, if we recycle all that.

I think monsoon misread your post. Just move on, and you can post your question in this thread.

We recycle regularly and use WM, and have not had any problems. In fact, I forgot to put my trash out a couple of weeks ago, and the trash guy went down the other side of the street first, I think to give me a chance to get it out. :blush:

... I'm only curious if people are satisfied with the city collection services before I decide if I want it for our house or if we should go private. ...

SPOILER ALERT

SAD STORY FOLLOWS

DOG LOVERS DO NOT READ

A few weeks back I noticed a white towel on the curb. Took off, returned in the evening, towel still there. Flies buzzing.

Then I noticed

LAST CHANCE DOG LOVERS, AND PET LOVERS TOO!!

a dead golden retriever puppy. [scroll over the blank text to read, if you are sure you want to.]

Someone put the towel on it, kindof like the VERA LIES HERE - GOD HELP US street burial in NOLA last year, only not as pretty.

I made a mental note to hit the city's website and notify them the next day (higher speed).

That was trash day, and I watched out the front window as the collection woman picked up the bags. She lifted the towel, saw the aforementioned item, gently wrapped it up in the towel, and collected it into the truck. Git 'er done. Just do it. Issue taken care of.

I couldn't believe they shut down my other thread concerning this topic!

The mod misread your other, now locked, post.

I switched from WM to Sunset Waste - from what I can tell was purchased by Allied Waste. Allied's price is $42/quarter versus WM's $73/quarter. I have had great service from AW/Sunset and would recommend them.

I couldn't believe they shut down my other thread concerning this topic! I'm only curious if people are satisfied with the city collection services before I decide if I want it for our house or if we should go private.

I went back and re-read your post and I did mis-read it. Please accept my apoligies for that. We have been getting a huge number of spammers in the last week and I didn't stop long enough to think about your post. That's not an excuse, but that is what happened. I will try not to make the same mistake again.

The mod misread your other, now locked, post.

I switched from WM to Sunset Waste - from what I can tell was purchased by Allied Waste. Allied's price is $42/quarter versus WM's $73/quarter. I have had great service from AW/Sunset and would recommend them.

I too have Allied - never any issues.

Also - I don't know how 'moral' this is - but I (a few months ago) called in to "switch" to Competitor XYZ. Allied then brought to my attention that they could match Competitor XYZ's price and even beat it. Well - when you make up a 'competitive' price - Allied was gracious to match it. Granted I didn't exaggerate the competitive price too much. I think that's why Allied matched it. At the end of the call however, the salesperson said they get a lot of 'creative' competitive prices. :rofl:

I went back and re-read your post and I did mis-read it. Please accept my apoligies for that. We have been getting a huge number of spammers in the last week and I didn't stop long enough to think about your post. That's not an excuse, but that is what happened. I will try not to make the same mistake again.

No problem...it confused me a little bit. :blink:

Anyway, thanks for all the help fellow friends. The wife is really busy with work, so its been left to me somewhat to determine what we should use, so this really helps.

I am over-the-top satisfied with the City of GR's collection services. I recycle all the time, so my trash removal hardly costs a thing. It's free to recycle in GR.

I use the city of GR. No complaints. I have the 35 gallon cart that I pay for once a year and two free recycle bins. The cart is usually big enough for the two of us. If ever we're over I just put a trash tag on a bag and we're good to go.

edit: I see the city excludes condo and apartment dwellers from recycling. Why's that?

I am over-the-top satisfied with the City of GR's collection services. I recycle all the time, so my trash removal hardly costs a thing. It's free to recycle in GR.

Me too - between recycling (free) and composting (free) we only throw out one garbage bag a week. And city bags cost what - $1-1.25 bag?

Not sure if this is on topic or not, but I live in an apartment where we have dumpsters, so no choice of service there. Are there any places I can take my stuff to recycle?

I *think* that the city doesn't have containers suitable for larger buildings. Can you just see the curb out front of Hillmount lined with blue bins? And some folks aren't quick about fetching theirs back from the curb.

If I had this facing me, I would go down the street on recycle night and ask someone if I can add to their bin. Can't imagine anyone saying no. Or, if I did not have a SF home bin lined up, I would add mine to an existing bin. (I can't actually do this; two weeks worth of the Press and 2 Sunday Freeps and all my miscellaneous cardboard and paper fill up a bin.)

At work I scavenged a box, and save the priority cardboard envelopes to load the smaller bits into. (Paperless office, hah.) Those go home now and then to get added to the blue bin.

FWIW, the DT post office collects office paper. I stand there and open the mail, put the junk right into it.

Archived