Favorite Airport

Guest donaltopablo

Guest donaltopablo

What's everyones favorite airports to fly in and out of.

Personally, I like Raleigh, Oakland (although their Hertz counter needs some help), and Tampa. All were smaller airports, so it was easy and quick to get in and out of the airport, pickup or return rental cars. However, none have the advantage of local mass transit (other than maybe) bus. Orlando gets an honorable mention. Even though I'm burnt out on Orlando travel, the airport is fairly easy to get around and relatively smooth for an airport of it's size.

My least favorite was Logan. It's a PITA to get in and out of. I also don't really care for O'Hare or Atlanta. They are just too big, it's takes forever to get around in the airport and/or drop off/pickup rental cars. The rental lots require a lengthy bus ride.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have to go with the Columbia Metropolitan Airport . It's was remodel in the late 90's and is very easy to navigate. This airport has a wonderful open air patio that lets you have a cup or coffee and read the paper outside while you wait for your plan to board. The terminal is wonderful with model plans and mobiles threw out the faultily and a very artistic water fountain in the Main terminal.

airport.jpg

airport.gif

marvpi3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dulles was right by where I lived when I lived in the D.C. area. Unfortunately I only lived there about 2 months. D.C. is an awesome city, and I go back every chance I get, which is usually about once per year. I'm hoping to go back again this summer, although my schedule is tight with college starting, work, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

The best I've been to has been Kastrup in Copenhagen. What a beautiful airport, the only issue were all the smoking.

In the U.S., most airports are really utilitarian. I try to avoid the big ones, mainly because I hate connecting. The best architecturally has to be Denver, because it is so new, but it is in the middle of nowhere, which is extremely negative in my mind. Cincinnati is also quite nice. All and all, a pathetic bunch when compared with European and Asian airports.

My home airport is Boston Logan International, which is generally old and decrepit, though I wouldn't rank it as the worst especially with the new International Terminal and soon to be new Terminal A. Not sure why people are having such a tough time getting to Logan, it is like 2 miles from downtown. I never have a problem with access. With the new Ted Williams tunnel and soon to be brand new Airport T station it will be even better.

Pittsburgh International

http://www.flypittsburgh.com

-First Airport with Free Wi-Fi access 24/7!!

-World HQrs for FedEx Ground

-First Airport with E-Mail Fare Alerts

-named Conde-Nast's best U.S. Airport in 2000 and 2003! Has consistently been in the top 3 U.S. Airports!

-Also first Airport to allow "secure" PUBLIC access to all gates through the TSA!

pit_airport.jpg

~~~~

~~~

~~~

~~

Orlando also ranks high and it is a very nice airport, real tropical feel to it.

;)

Flew through the NW terminal in Detriot WOW!! very nice.

Worst Airport Cincinnati, followed closely by Miami (crime central) though i heard they are rebuilding chunks of MIA.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Logan. People complain about delays and stuff all the time, but I fly 5 times a year and rarely have problems. Once runway 14/32 is done, the delays will be cut down a lot, and the big dig has made it much easier to get there. Brand new Terminal A is slated to open next year, and that's gonna be a huge boost too. It's within 5 minutes of downtown.

11-8281.jpg

Wall Mirrors in terminal C:

PC029515.jpg

deltaBoston%20Logan.JPG

One of my favorite airports is Kansai Airport in Osaka/Kobe Japan.  This is the airport in which they built an island in the ocean specifically for this airport.  Making it even more difficult to construct is the island is slowly sinking so the entire terminal is on top or electronically adjustible jacks.    It also looks good. 

KIX.jpg

kix7.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can see in your first picture that they are building a second runway for Kansai. Also, Nagaoya's new airport is almost finished and it is a man-made island airport like Kansai!!

Jacksonville is looking to fix their airport and make it more efficient and more appealing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i flew out of it over break and the neew food court/main area is totally redone plus new security checkpoints that simplify the process. and a new terminal/walking area just for pasengers.

Lehigh Valley International in Allentown, PA was a great airport to fly in and out of when i lived in the Poconos. Nice remodeled planeside concourse, cheap convenient parking that you could pay for before you left the terminal, Free WiFi, close rental car lots and counters, low traffic volume.

Perfect small town regional airport.

As far as RDU, they are in beginning of a major renovation which will extensively remodel Terminal C. Terminal A is laid out in a weird and confusing way, and it gets me that there isn't a Terminal B anymore.

Trying to avoid the usually high cost of flying from Atlanta to Toronto, I flew AirTran from Atlanta to Buffalo, New York, and drove to Toronto. Buffalo was an awesome airport. All the gates in one long terminal, clean, nice restaurants, small, but with enough flights to major airports. I was shocked and have flown through BUF a number of times since then.

Archived