Favorite Airport

Guest donaltopablo

I like both the Chep Lak Kok Int'l Airport (Hong Kong) and the Kensai Int'l (Japan) because both are huge, up-to-date airports built on a man-made island, which is not as easy as it seems. The Kensai Airport I think was harder to construct as it was farther out to sea than the HK one. A bridge specifically for the airport had to be built. Unfortunately, that airport is sinking steady into the sea and the terminal and other buildings have to be raised constantly. :cry: Good airport layout. :)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Logan Airport in Boston is one of my favorites and a very underrated airport in general. I have never been delayed or had a horror story there, and they have very good security post 9/11.

Tampa International is a very nice, very clean, very moderan airport, nothing bad can be said about it.

Orlando International isn't that great, neither is Philadelphia International.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I am biased here, but in terms of large/busy domestic airports...my vote goes for DFW International Airport.  It is much easier to navigate than those in Chicago, Atlanta, NY, LAX, Houston, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Starting February 1st, 2005, DFW is going to have some "ghost-town" terminals. Terminal E, the old Delta Air Lines terminal will be basically empty when Delta pulls its hub at DFW. Terminal D, the soon to be finished International Terminal will be beautiful, but not incredibly busy. Maybe AirTran will beef up their schedule at DFW, because they can certainly charge much less than American Airlines, and Southwest airlines at nearby Love Field is constricted to only flying to cities in Texas and states that touch Texas. Beyond that AirTran can offer cheaper service than American.

One of my favorite airports is Kansai Airport in Osaka/Kobe Japan.  This is the airport in which they built an island in the ocean specifically for this airport.  Making it even more difficult to construct is the island is slowly sinking so the entire terminal is on top or electronically adjustible jacks.    It also looks good. 

Nagoya is also building a man-made island airport. The difference is that it won't just be an international airport like Osaka's Kansai. If you fly into Osaka on an international flight and want to go to another Japanese city, you have to transfer to Itami airport, which is Osaka's domestic airport. Nagoya's new airport will handle international and domestic flights, so if your destination is Fukuoka, for instance, and you fly into Nagoya from Los Angeles, you won't have to change airports to catch your domestic flight to Fukuoka. This will give it a big edge over Osaka's Kansai Airport, which is already struggling for more traffic. Many international airlines may decide it makes more sense to fly into Nagoya's new airport.

Keep in mind that this is just, like my opinion man...

ATL - Its my home airport and my fav (#1). Though it can be confusing its people mover is the most efficient I've ever ridden. Plus it pioneered parallel runway concept, the main reason why its one the nations busiest.

BOS - Old but being revitalized. Getting to the airport by car was a nightmare before they opened the Ted Williams Tunnel, and the parking fee is straight robbery. Getting to the airport by train is also a pain as it lacks a direct connection. Crosswind runways make for numerous delays.

DCA - The new terminal is quite nice and its downtown location is quite convienent...which coincidently are the only two thing going for it b/c the runways are small and their are restrictions on when certain flights can ARR/DEP.

ORD - I love it b/c of its size. It has a direct connection to public transit and has 9 or 10 runways (though many are crosswind) There are plan to redo the runway scheme to a more parallel format, an undertaking I wish I could see!

DEN - The terminal is simply beautiful (#2). It has a airiness that reminds me of the GA Dome. Being that its brand new (for airports anyway) its kinda unfair to actually rank this one.

IAD - While's out in the middle of nowhere I LOVE the terminal (#3). I though they were inconveinent, the mobile lounges were cool b/c you actually were out on the tarmac with the aircraft.

HOU - Air open air airport...Brilliant!!! The foral gardens are a wonderful welcome to the islands

ORF - Someone already mentioned this, but this airport is tucked away behind the botanical gardens and on a swamp...you can't even tell its there.

• 4 weeks later...

Tampa is my favorite because its modern, clean, easy to get around, great parking garage, and luxurious bathrooms :lol: . Dallas/Fort Worth is also a great airport. Here is a little article.

TIA has been named the best airport in the U.S. and one of the best in the world

For the second time in it's 30 year history, Tampa International Airport has been named the best airport in the United States. In fact, this time our airport was named one of the best in the world.

The rating is a result of the annual poll taken by Conde Nast Traveler magazine. The poll ranked TIA first in the United States and third in the world.

Two other Florida airports received honorable mention; Orlando International and Palm Beach International. Other mentioned were Portland, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, and Washington Dulles. Atlanta Hartsfield and Chicago O'Hare continue to compete for the title of world's busiest. The criteria for judging the airports in the poll were:

Location and ease of access

Baggage handling and Customs

Comfort and design

Food

Shopping and amenities

TIA was last named tops in the U.S. by the survey back in 1993. The airport has seen many improvements since that date in the way of renovations to level 3 of the main concourse and the addition of airside E which is primarily occupied by Delta Airlines.

Additional plans for improvements to the airport include the replacement of Airside C which will become the new home of Southwest Airlines' hub in Tampa, and the destruction of Airside B which will not be rebuilt.

For those of us who travel through Tampa International Airport on a regular or semi-regular basis, these accolades come as no surprise - the recognition is nice to see though.

Ease of navigation within the airports, convenience of gate areas radiating out from main concourses, and intelligent placement of concessions are cited as contributing factors in TIA and other top-named airports receiving their good marks

Little monorail system that goes within the airport/parking garage

664276-Tampa_International_Airport-Tampa.jpg

Basic Overview

TampaInternationalAirport.jpg

There are a few of these trains which take you from the main building to the terminal for each terminal.

TampaInternationalAirport2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that this is just, like my opinion man...

ATL - Its my home airport and my fav (#1).  Though it can be confusing its people mover is the most efficient I've ever ridden.  Plus it pioneered parallel runway concept, the main reason why its one the nations busiest.

BOS - Old but being revitalized.  Getting to the airport by car was a nightmare before they opened the Ted Williams Tunnel, and the parking fee is straight robbery.  Getting to the airport by train is also a pain as it lacks a direct connection.  Crosswind runways make for numerous delays.

DCA - The new terminal is quite nice and its downtown location is quite convienent...which coincidently are the only two thing going for it b/c the runways are small and their are restrictions on when certain flights can ARR/DEP.

ORD - I love it b/c of its size.  It has a direct connection to public transit and has 9 or 10 runways (though many are crosswind)  There are plan to redo the runway scheme to a more parallel format, an undertaking I wish I could see!

DEN - The terminal is simply beautiful (#2).  It has a airiness that reminds me of the GA Dome.  Being that its brand new (for airports anyway) its kinda unfair to actually rank this one.

IAD - While's out in the middle of nowhere I LOVE the terminal (#3).  I though they were inconveinent, the mobile lounges were cool b/c you actually were out on the tarmac with the aircraft. 

HOU - Air open air airport...Brilliant!!!  The foral gardens are a wonderful welcome to the islands

ORF - Someone already mentioned this, but this airport is tucked away behind the botanical gardens and on a swamp...you can't even tell its there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I agree w/ your comment about National Airport (DCA) having small runways, i must disagree that the downtown location (btw even though it's considered part of DC b/c it sits on landfill, it is connected to VA) and new terminal are the only things going for it. My favorite thing about the airport is the view I get when arriving/departing from it (I'm going to consider this part of the airport), the view of the amazing DC skyline, all of the monuments, busy streets, and parks just gives me the chills. I am unable to find a picture that really does the view justice, but I will try to get one next time I take a trip. Sufficit to say, If you have ever flown into National at sunset on a clear day, you know exactly what I'm talking about. (And i'm really happy about the ARR/DEP time restrictions b/c I live only about 2 miles away and don't like being woken up by planes)

I love London City Airport, mostly because it is close to the city and the latest check-in time for flights back home are a mere 15 minutes before departure. I prefer Rotterdam's own regional airport at home over the massive Schiphol Amsterdam for the same reasons. Schiphol however is definitely a great spacious airport, but I find walking distances to be a bit extreme.

Kastrup Copenhagen is nice indeed, and I was also impressed by the rapid growth of Stansted airport north of London due to new carriers such as EasyJet: every time I go there, there seem to be half a dozen of new shops and restaurants. It's mostly the visible boom that gives it appeal to me though, the airport itself is nothing special.

In the US I've only been to JFK, O'Hare, IAH and SFO all of which were okay but again, nothing special.

PS: What are average check-in times for domestic and international flights in the US these days?

Tampa by far.... The new airside C will be opening on the 16th of April! It will be the largest Airside built since the Airport has opened. Sadly, I never fly Southwest or Spirit, so I won't have many chances to fly out of it.

airside_e_interior.jpg

airport.jpg

airside_e_exterior.jpg

Orlando is merely TPA on steroids... copy cats :angry:

The only reason Orlando passed 100,000 people is because of disneyworld and after that other theme parks they might as well call it Disney International Airport :rofl: nah im kidding but its true that its the only inland city in Florida with a big population like that and its all because of a few theme parks the rest came afterwords.

Atlanta (ATL) is the airport we all hate to love but it might be the most efficient airport in the country. For some strange reason, it works! Both the landside and airside components of the airport are designed well. When the new runway opens ATL will only get better.

i beg to differ with the previous discussion. Orlando International Airport is the best airport in the country. It is well designed, user friendly and provides a gateway to one of the most beautiful cities in the country. JD Power & Associates ranks Orlando International as the #1 airport in the United States.

• 7 months later...

Archived