Favorite Airport

Guest donaltopablo

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree with pdxstreetcar, the Port of Portland has done a magnifacent job in remodeling Portland International Airport. The extension of the MAX to the airport has created an alternative mode of transportation to the airport...always a good thing. In addition. the use of glass above the drop-off/pick-up area is stunning. Furthermore, the setting of PDX is hard to beat in terms of US airports. Last, but certainly not least, Portland will soon have the closest IKEA to any airport in the world. Overall, an excellent airport.

• 1 month later...

Best for me are Manchester NH, Boston, O'Hare, and Cleveland Hopkins.

As for Atlanta, it has some of the rudest and unhelpful employees of any airport and the train system breaks down too much.

As usual in threads like this, the home town "whatever" is more often than not most poster's favorites. Obviously, when you are more experienced with navigating a particular airport, or city you're going to think much differently about it than a stranger who doesn't know his way around.

That said, I find it strange that anyone would have a problem navigating Hartsfield Intl. Airport in Atlanta. It's probably the best layed out airport of any I've visited. You never have to walk more than half the length of any concourse to get to the transporation mall. Unless there is a major breakdown of the underground people mover (and I've never experienced a total shutdown in all the years I've flown out of Atlanta), the trip to the main terminal is effortless, unless you consider riding a subway train an effort.

The only thing I don't give Atlanta praise for is in getting to the rental car lots. But, now that they are building another people mover that will take you directly from the terminal to the rental car facility that should take care of that problem nicely.

I've flown out of airports that I consider holy terrors such as O'Hare and DFW and can't imagine anyone finding those airports easier to navigate than Hartsfield. I haven't flown through DFW in quite a few years but I remember when I was last there, nobody used that people mover at all. I had read somewhere that passengers no longer even had access to the system and it was strickly for staff. Is this true, and does DFW have any other automated system to get passengers from one terminal to another?

The Richmond International Airport is currently undergoing a major reconstruction and expansion. With the

addition of a new terminal building, multiple parking garages, and a major landscaping project. This expansion project will be done mid 2007.

Map of New Airport

Term_Map.gif

Inside the terminal building

richmond01.jpg

Richmond International Airport

Construction Updates

Oh, I just have to mention the security guy at the metal detector I saw at Hartsfield a couple years back. I recognized him from being a drug dealer at the apartments I used to live at back in college! I noticed he was talking with fellow security guards as passangers beeped, and just allowed them to go through.

• 5 weeks later...

I work at PHX, it's a monster, but pretty boring in Design. DTW's McNamara Terminal is very very nice, but I spent a night in it due to an incompetant airline. If anyone has seen the Smith Terminal of DTW, it sends waves of nausea it's so old and ugly, It looks like the 50's took a crap and they put an air terminal there.

I hate IAH (Bush Intercontinental in Houston) I will not fly continental, not that it's a bad airline, but every time I do, I end up at IAH, and I end up running to catch, or completely miss my conecting flight all together. I'll pay a couple hundred extra to fly a different airline just so I don't have to deal with Houston.

I have to say SFO. I like the way it flows. Plus it has easy access to transportaion options. The worst IMO is Newark. Just getting to the entrance is hell and confusing. That is why I never drive to or from there.

Interesting comments, just wish PIT would come back on the radar screen like it used to be with USAirways. CondeNast and OAG regularly rank it in the top 10 in the world. DTW's McNamara is also fantastic!

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I'm biased and I don't fly very often but I'll say Charlotte-Douglas Int'l airport. Fares are cheap and it's easy to get around. I also was impressed when I got lost in the parking lot at 11pm forgetting where my car was. I gave them my plate and the lady drove me right to it (I guess other airports do this as well, I just was impressed)

I have to say SFO. I like the way it flows. Plus it has easy access to transportaion options. The worst IMO is Newark. Just getting to the entrance is hell and confusing. That is why I never drive to or from there.

If you have to transfer from an international to a domestic flight at SFO, it's not that smooth. It used to be much better.

My all time favorite airport is Schipol.

Vancouver International is a very nice airport, clean with artwork etc. probably one of the nicest I've seen. Sydney's Kingsford Smith is nice because of the free internet terminals, and it's easy to navigate (at least when I was there last year).

TWA's International Terminal at JFK was always nice to fly out of because of the architecture. Not very functional though, I'm sure some of you had the pleasure of flying to Europe between 7PM and 10PM with the terminal crowded full of people, or arriving in the afternoon with their customs hall full of people from Europe and the Middle East.

Worst airport- Ibiza, small crowded and full of smokers with no real restaurant.

HSV (Huntsville International) in Alabama is the best I've ever been to. It's very very clean, and is filled with history displays of the role Huntsville played and plays in sending people into space. There's hardly ever a delay, even though it's the second busiest in the state. Of course 1.5 Million passengers isn't that many, but it's still quite a bit compared to some airports.

HSV's also the cheapest to fly with. Birmingham is also cheap to fly out of, some drive from Atlanta just to fly outta BHM cause it's cheap than ATL and has flights to most of the same airport.

Also, Huntsville already has international flights, it has one of the longest runways in the South, 12,600 Ft. It's also used for when space vehicles have to be flown to Marshall Space Flight Center for service. But HSV gets a lot of business from other countries flying to North Alabama to the Boeing plant in Decatur, and Cummings Research Park, Redstone Arsenal, and MSFC in Huntsville.

So, in closing, Huntsville may not be a hub or anything, but if you're ever flying into the area, it's a great place to land in. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived