Say I want to be a developer...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm interested in developing on a small scale, know I will have the money to do so in a few years and want to learn the ropes what should I be doing? Not saying that I'll be in that scenario, I just want recommendations.

Being a physician, as you've said before, I would guess you certainly have the means. I have a good friend who is a physician, and you all make good money. :D You also should have some pretty high-profile contacts... have you considered speaking to friends or patients who are in development? That seems like a good first step...

Well, I wasn't trying to brag on myself and was trying to a bit more vague. Yeah, I should have the financial resources available from my own income and other sources. My family were in real estate - both sales and property management so I know a bit about that. I know very little about the process of development, financing, and construction of major projects.

The other obvious issue is that I won't have time to manage my own properties and will have to hire some of that. Still, I think it's a hobby I would enjoy a lot more than tinkering with stocks. It's more entertaining and you can point to the fruits of your labor. Ideally if I could redevelop distressed properties I could even feel like I was contributing to the community.

I would recommend working with a developer in a joint venture or 2 before starting to create one yourself from scratch.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Were I in a different profession I would try to intern with a developer for a while but that's just not an opportunity for me. Hopefully I'll meet the right people.

I think you've already noticed we have a new guy on the NWA forum who fixes up houses. Granted he'll be in a different metro than you. But if you sent him a PM maybe he could give you some ideas. Not sure if he really looks around aside from the NWA forum so he might not ever see this.

Archived