If the state allows cities to annex what will be the largest cities in the state by population?

Atlside

Why wouldn't Columbia be able to annex more into Lexington County? NW Columbia is only bounded by Irmo which is in both counties. St. Andrews area is unincorporated too. Columbia could annex in NE Lexington County but not in the eastern part because of Cayce and West Columbia. Broad River area is like 30,000 people not in the city limits and NE Richland is like 80,000 i heard? I think Cola would pick alot up

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In an ideal scenario, we would get annexation laws like our neighbors to the north have. Assuming this scenario, the biggest gainers in terms of a percentage would be in the Upstate. The biggest losers would be in the Lowcountry. In this scenario you woudl have to base your numbers on urban areas (which is more or less how NC does it). However, that is assuming ONE central city per urban area. Right now there is only one city in the state that is the only city in its urban area, and that is Spartanburg.

Spartanburg's UA is about 145,000 as of 2000. So in reality it could become the largest city in terms of population. Greenville would be close, if not larger, but it would have to contend with Mauldin and Greer for territory. It is has a larger urban area than Spartanburg, but it is hard to say how this would work out. Anderson would get a significant boost as well, but it would still be less than Spartanburg.

Columbia can only annex into Richland County. Irmo and Chapin would take their parts of Lexington. Columbia also has to contend with Arcadia Lakes and Forest Acres. Columbia may gain 80k or 90k at best. West Cola, Cayce, Springdale, and Lexington woudl have a field day with annexation. Who knows how that would turn out... but you can rest assured Columbia woudl not see any gain there.

Most urban areas are already claimed in the Charleston area, so Charleston would not see a significant gain. Summerville, Goose Creek, Hanahan and Mount Pleasant may gain some though.

You cannot assume that the current population densities will continue with annexation. Greenville has the second highest population density in the State, but as it annexes outwards it will see that density drop dramatically, particularly if it annexes Taylors.

Florence may also see a gain, but it would be more on the same level of Anderson.

I agree with most of your post, but Hanahan is completely boxed in by Goose Creek and North Charleston. They could add some territory, but it's a pretty small area as I recall, nothing compared to say Summerville. Mount Pleasant could grow some, but most of the developed area there is already in the "town" limits.

Greenville has the second highest population density in the State, but as it annexes outwards it will see that density drop dramatically, particularly if it annexes Taylors.

According to the 2000 census Greenville county has the highest density for a county in SC or are you refering to the city as being the second densest in the state and not the county being the second densest. What is the density of Greenville City compared to Columbia City?

My guess would be Greenville would become the largest city - expanding eastward to Greer, northward only Travelors Rest exists, a town too small to expand. Southward, it depends on how the suburbs like Mauldin would 'split' the county. Greenville would also annex everything westward to the county line. Greenville most likely would not expand into Pickens or Anderson County due to costs of expanding utility services across the river.

Charleston does have Johns Island & the western section across the river to expand. Otherwise the suburbs to the north have Charleston boxed in.

Columbia has the northside, but is mostly boxed in due to the river & Irmo.

I had thought that there was an earlier thread a year ago that I posted some hypothetical population figures. But of course this topic always pops up.

One thing I've said is that if the annexation laws were loosened, theoretically this should also make it easier for city-county consolidations to occur. If that's the case, Greenville would easily have the potential to become the largest city.

Would annexation laws effect city county consolidations? A consolidation would require a referendum anyways & it really wouldn't be the city 'annexing' the county, but a merger of the two.

I just said that because not only do our laws make it hard for cities to annex adjacent property, but city-county consolidation is also pretty hard to do. It's not that they necessarily go hand in hand, but that if our legislature were to "see the light" regarding annexation, they should be able to see how city-county consolidations would be beneficial as well.

Greenville most likely would not expand into Pickens or Anderson County due to costs of expanding utility services across the river.

I live on the anderson side of piedmont and have greenville water already and sewer also. I think powdersville is on powdersville water system?

I live on the anderson side of piedmont and have greenville water already and sewer also. I think powdersville is on powdersville water system?

Correct. I'm not sure which way Powdersville would go, but for all practical purposes, it belongs in Greenville, since it is one of Greenville's suburbs and only a short 10-minute (I-85 to I-185) drive from downtown.

• 1 month later...

...Charleston does have Johns Island & the western section across the river to expand. Otherwise the suburbs to the north have Charleston boxed in...

Actually, I believe Chas could become the largest city because of Johns Island as well as the doughnut holes within the city, but Chas is not as boxed in as you think. The city could extend its limits further north of Chas County on the West Ashley side, all the way past Summerville into Dorchester County. The city limits that are currently up around the Cainhoy peninsula in Berkeley County could easily be extended by annexation practically to Lake Moultrie near Moncks Corner!

Cola would definitely provide Chas some competition, but I would look for other current suburbs such as Forest Acres and Arcadia Lakes to join in the annexation battle with Cola. NE Richland where I live would be fought for by all of those cities.

G'ville would be much larger, of course, and this would be needed to change the reputation and image that the city might still have. G'ville could be hindered to become the largest city due to other competing suburban cities annexing residents who might not want to be in the city originally.

Forest Acres and Arcadia Lakes are almost completely surrounded by Columbia (if you ask me, those municipalities shouldn't even exist). I agree with sonofaque; Blythewood would be the one competing with Columbia for NE Richland.

Arcadia Lakes is almost completely surrounded by Forest Acres actually. And Forest Acres could annex considerable areas that could otherwise go to Cola. F.A annexed a shoestring using a RR track for undoubtedly that purpose.

Arcadia Lakes is almost completely surrounded by Forest Acres actually. And Forest Acres could annex considerable areas that could otherwise go to Cola. F.A annexed a shoestring using a RR track for undoubtedly that purpose.

Thanks vic, I posted in response to this, but my internet connection screwed up, and my post never displayed. Arcadia Lakes is mostly surrounded by FA, but as vic correctly pointed out, FA has its limits bordering Decker Blvd. Beyond that road, there is nothing to prevent them from annexing many areas of NE Cola all the way to Spring Valley. Blythewood is still geographically separated from the more developed portion of the NE, so the town might annex some of the areas around Kilian, for instance, but FA would have tremendous potential to grow and expand. Cola would have to significantly increase annexation of the NE and "cut FA off at the pass" if you will.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived