What is the Most Underrated City in TN?

Justiceham

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which City is the Most Underrated?

• Johnson City
    • Cleveland
    • Jackson
    • Murfreesboro
    • Clarksville
    • Cookeville

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which one of these cities do you think is often overlooked? (other? please explain)

I went with Jackson, though I was also torn between Clarksville and Murfreesboro. Cookeville is too small to be in a category with these other towns. Johnson City is also a strong contender, but we probably overlook it even more than the other places because there isn't much representation for it on this board. I almost consider it to be Baja Virginia. :lol:

Which one of these cities do you think is often overlooked? (other? please explain)

I don't think Murfreesboro is overlooked at all. Murfreesboro and its recent and rapid growth gets some major publicity and press from the Nashville media.

Quite frankly, Johnson City, Cleveland and Jackson are places outside my Middle Tennessee region and are therefore, in a sense, outside my consciousness and my ability to judge since I never venture to these towns.

Cookville only has 28,000 people. How much are we supposed to look?

I think if you want a town vastly overlooked, underestimated and vastly under-represented then Clarksville would be my choice. I do not think it resides in Nashville's collective conscience and there are many, even in Murfreesboro, who are surprised to learn Clarksville is the larger of the two. Clarksville's press tends to center on various heinous acts of criminality. What Clarksville news made the Nashville papers recently other than the Titans Training Camp? Let's see; A Clarksville man was found dead in Kentucky with multiple gunshot wounds, his body allegedly dumped there after a gang related drive-by did him in in Clarksville. Uhm, one or two people have been found dead in Hotels - foul play is suspected. A man picked up a girl at a nightclub and she asked him to drive downtown where two men dragged him out of his car and stabbed him 12 times - the girl might have been in on the crime. Clarksville is a great town but that is the press it gets. What seems to go unnoticed to many is that Clarksville is still growing rapidly and has made the rounds in all those National "Places to live; Places to do business" polls and articles. She is, arguably, the most slighted city on the list.

There is perhaps one way in which Clarksville has been recognized above at least the other Middle Tennessee choices (of course, I could be mistaken); The Interstates running through Nashville label certain cities as being the next "major" municipality on that Interstate. I-40 West mentions Memphis as being the next "major" destination. This does not recognize Jackson. I-40 East mentions Knoxville; This does not recognize Cookville. I-24 East mentions Chattanooga. This does not recognize Murfreesboro. Clarksville did manage to replace St. Louis on the I-24 West signs although it is shared in some locales.

I voted Clarksville. It has a nicer downtown than most people that I talk to give it credit for. And their riverfront redevelopment currently is on par Nashville's, lol. I think most people think the sprawl out on Wilma Rudolph Boulevard when they think Clarksville, not the nice downtown/riverfront.

I don't think Murfreesboro is overlooked at all. Murfreesboro and its recent and rapid growth gets some major publicity and press from the Nashville media.

Quite frankly, Johnson City, Cleveland and Jackson are places outside my Middle Tennessee region and are therefore, in a sense, outside my consciousness and my ability to judge since I never venture to these towns.

Cookville only has 28,000 people. How much are we supposed to look?

I think if you want a town vastly overlooked, underestimated and vastly under-represented then Clarksville would be my choice. I do not think it resides in Nashville's collective conscience and there are many, even in Murfreesboro, who are surprised to learn Clarksville is the larger of the two. Clarksville's press tends to center on various heinous acts of criminality. What Clarksville news made the Nashville papers recently other than the Titans Training Camp? Let's see; A Clarksville man was found dead in Kentucky with multiple gunshot wounds, his body allegedly dumped there after a gang related drive-by did him in in Clarksville. Uhm, one or two people have been found dead in Hotels - foul play is suspected. A man picked up a girl at a nightclub and she asked him to drive downtown where two men dragged him out of his car and stabbed him 12 times - the girl might have been in on the crime. Clarksville is a great town but that is the press it gets. What seems to go unnoticed to many is that Clarksville is still growing rapidly and has made the rounds in all those National "Places to live; Places to do business" polls and articles. She is, arguably, the most slighted city on the list.

There is perhaps one way in which Clarksville has been recognized above at least the other Middle Tennessee choices (of course, I could be mistaken); The Interstates running through Nashville label certain cities as being the next "major" municipality on that Interstate. I-40 West mentions Memphis as being the next "major" destination. This does not recognize Jackson. I-40 East mentions Knoxville; This does not recognize Cookville. I-24 East mentions Chattanooga. This does not recognize Murfreesboro. Clarksville did manage to replace St. Louis on the I-24 West signs although it is shared in some locales.

The cities listed on interstate signs are called Control Cities. When the interstates were laid out the control cities were usually the next metro area, or where the interstate begins/ends or intersects another interstate. I think control cities are only updated to reflect major population changes.

The cities listed on interstate signs are called Control Cities. When the interstates were laid out the control cities were usually the next metro area, or where the interstate begins or ends. I think control cities are only updated to reflect major population changes.

I suppose cities you can't see only till you get off the interstate could be called Exit Cities (i.e. Murfreesboro, Jackson).

Clarksville is definitely a town of many flavors. The east side is the upscale neighborhoods. The north side/Ft. Campbell area is full of pawn shops, empty buildings and houses of ill-repute. The mall area is infill and traffic at its finest. Downtown/APSU is historic and picturesque.

Also, fallingwater is right. If its not a homicide that gets the news, its soldier returns and deployment. Clarksville's growth and progress are not something that is reported very often in the Nashville media.

The north side/Ft. Campbell area is full of pawn shops, empty buildings and houses of ill-repute.

Haha, I recall so many years ago when I first got my driver's liscense my parents forbidding me to "cross the river" into the North side of town. Of course, that was one of the first places I headed since they made it into a taboo.

I actually think New Providence/Ft. Campbell look better than it did many years ago. I think they have cleaned it up quite a bit but it is still cheap, garrish and junky.

That's like saying which is more overlooked, Cleveland or Franklin? I think due to it's proximity to Chattanooga, there's no fair comparison.

That said, I don't know who I would pick. I'd say Dyersburg is the best option, and it's not even listed,

Tell me more about Dyersburg, I've never heard of it before.

That's like saying which is more overlooked, Cleveland or Franklin? I think due to it's proximity to Chattanooga, there's no fair comparison.

Cleveland is separated from Hamilton County and Chattanooga by White Oak Mountain which proves not only a physical barrier, but also a cultural and community barrier helping the two separate MSA

Again, I'll make the Franklin to Cleveland comparison.

You could say that Franklin is not dependent on Nashville. In fact, many Nashville fans are mad that all these corporate HQ's keep going to... FRANKLIN. But would Franklin have gotten any of this noteriety without Nashville? No.

Cleveland may have a lot going on in it's own right, but I don't think anyone can say that it would be what it is today without Chattanooga and the railroad hub it once was.

Not trying to dog on Cleveland, but I just don't think it belongs in this list.

Well I've decided to do my own research about Dyersburg, TN and I was impressed. It is a regional hub for northwest TN and the tri-state area consiting of 300,000 people in that statistical area. It is linked to interstate 40 via U.S. 412 and interstate 55. In the future the proposed I-69 will connect here as a direct route from Mexico to Canada. This city offers ammenities of a bigger city, Dyersburg Mall, a 400 seat conference center, regional medical center, and decent housing. From a few pictures I've seen, its downtown is clean and cute.

Well I've decided to do my own research about Dyersburg, TN and I was impressed. It is a regional hub for northwest TN and the tri-state area consiting of 300,000 people in that statistical area. It is linked to interstate 40 via U.S. 412 and interstate 55. In the future the proposed I-69 will connect here as a direct route from Mexico to Canada. This city offers ammenities of a bigger city, Dyersburg Mall, a 400 seat conference center, regional medical center, and decent housing. From a few pictures I've seen, its downtown is clean and cute.

Sorry I just checked in on this thread or I would have filled you in on Dyersburg as this is some place I am very familar with.

The city of Dyersburg is positioned IMO to become a much larger regional player in employment, commercial activity, and medical services. Its key location on I-155, US 412, US 51, and along the future I-69 corridor put it in an amazing position to grow in terms of both population, industrial base, and commercial activity. Not to mention the city will garner a lot of benefits from the new Riverport and industrial park at Cates Landing in Lake County and from the four-laning of TN 78 from Dyersburg to the port via Tiptonville.

All of those factors will be magnified and exploited to their fullest extent by the very well organized city and county governments that Dyersburg and Dyer County possess; which are pound for pound two of the best local governments to be found in West Tennessee as far as being prepared, organized, and pro-active in trying to get things done that will benefit their constituents. Seriously, Dyersburg and Dyer County have it together and appear set to do very well in the coming years. It has already done very well in retaining and expanding its industrial base.

Dyersburg is also planning to do big things with their downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. Including utilizing their riverfront, which currently is not even remotely utilized. Dyersburg's downtown is very nice for its size and has a couple of decent sized Bank buildings, some awesome street fronts, and a very nice court house.

Here are is a pics thread of Dyersburg's downtown that I took last year:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...c=14846&hl=

Commercially the city is growing very steadily, but I-69 should be a huge shot in the arm, esp. to its somewhat struggling mall. Except for the mall, the city's commercial activity, medical services, amenities, etc. seem to moving forward pretty well in all areas.

I can talk more about Dyersburg later if folks are interested, but I'm short on time at the moment. Feel free to ask questions.

Well I voted for Cookeville. So far - the only vote. My reasons:

- Location - within a very short drive to three (3) of the biggest cities in the State.

- Education - Putnam Co. Schools are very good. TN TECH is always rated high nationally and as well the city has a full campus branch of Nashville State Community College. Oh and I think there is a Bible College/Seminary School there too. (not bad for a Micropolitan).

- The city is growing and taking advantage of its geography (I'd be willing to bet you'll see a high end resort pop up in the next 20 years).

- Natural Beauty. Jackson or Clarksville neither one can compare to the beauty that Cookeville and the Upper Cumberland have. Johnson City can compete.

-Affordable - one of America's most affordable cities.

I also like Cookeville because there's money to be made there. Its small enough to be off of a lot of people's radars but there's enough transient population to keep it fresh and there are plenty of civic and cultural events there (obviously not as much as a Metro region would have).

Well I voted for Cookeville. So far - the only vote. My reasons:

- Location - within a very short drive to three (3) of the biggest cities in the State.

- Education - Putnam Co. Schools are very good. TN TECH is always rated high nationally and as well the city has a full campus branch of Nashville State Community College. Oh and I think there is a Bible College/Seminary School there too. (not bad for a Micropolitan).

- The city is growing and taking advantage of its geography (I'd be willing to bet you'll see a high end resort pop up in the next 20 years).

- Natural Beauty. Jackson or Clarksville neither one can compare to the beauty that Cookeville and the Upper Cumberland have. Johnson City can compete.

-Affordable - one of America's most affordable cities.

I also like Cookeville because there's money to be made there. Its small enough to be off of a lot of people's radars but there's enough transient population to keep it fresh and there are plenty of civic and cultural events there (obviously not as much as a Metro region would have).

I think you make some good points, that's why it's on the list. The scenery is captivating passing the city on I-40. A slew of new retail, restaurants, and hotels have popped up too...mmm Rafferty's.

Thanks for the information RK, I think we'd have heard more about it if it were mentioned more in the West Tennessee forum.

I try to create and push small town/city threads whenever I have significant news to report on them, but sometimes there is just not much to report that warrants its own thread from these communities. So often Dyersburg, Union City, Lexington, etc get mentioned in other threads with broader range within the West Tennessee forum.

If you do a search on Dyersburg you will get about 4 pages worth of posts and threads, so it gets some commentary now and then. However, compared to Jackson and Memphis its a much lower key town/city.

I think once the I-69 section from Henderson, KY to Dyersburg is opened in 5-6 years (linking the NWTN to I-55 and I-24 via a complete interstate corridor), the city will have its profile significantly raised by the resulting industrial/commerical/populaton growth that should follow; which in turn should increase its regional pull within West Tennessee. I could see the city one day being seen as the 3rd major regional locale within WTN, with Union City maybe becoming a 4th somewhere down the road if they can follow Dyersburg's lead.

Off the current list I would have to vote for Cleveland (due to its economic growth) or Cookville (the state's largest micropolitan area). Now of course if Dyersburg was on the list I would probably vote for it out of respect for its leadership and out of some degree of regional bias :), but it is considerably smaller than most of the other cities on the list, having only a population of 17,452 (2000).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived