Catholic Central/West Catholic Construction

Kayak1

Looks like West Catholic and Catholic Central are getting Gym/Fieldhouse additions. Both are going for LEED certification. I can only assume that there is some Wege money behind these projects. West is designed by Beta and Central is designed by Integrated. Golscorer, do you have any renderings?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like West Catholic and Catholic Central are getting Gym/Fieldhouse additions. Both are going for LEED certification. I can only assume that there is some Wege money behind these projects. West is designed by Beta and Central is designed by Integrated. Golscorer, do you have any renderings?

Yes I do. We did the initial design work back in 2001 and I did the renderings when I was home from school that summer, so its nice to finally be getting this project built. The Weges have been behind both projects from the get-go, but the process stalled when the Bishop passed away a few years ago.

I'll get the renderings out there as soon as I can.

I don't know much about Catholic Central, but i know West has been saying they were going to rebuild the gym for a while now. It will be a solar powered/ energy efficient gym, and I think it will have more seating and stuff like that...

i thought that for CC they were thinking of putting this out at the CAT with the rest of their athletic facilities, am I wrong on this? I hope so, because I feel that CC should remain in their heartside location.

CC class of '00

Along the lines of private schools building new athletic facilities, I heard that Grand Rapids Christian has plans to build an additional gym (off of the northwest corner of the building) and totally re-build its 35 year old football stadium. I belive they have plans drawn up but are waiting to retire the debt on their auditorium before begining on this. Will be a nice addition to an already great school.

GRCHS- Class of 03'

Along the lines of private schools building new athletic facilities, I heard that Grand Rapids Christian has plans to build an additional gym (off of the northwest corner of the building) and totally re-build its 35 year old football stadium. I belive they have plans drawn up but are waiting to retire the debt on their auditorium before begining on this. Will be a nice addition to an already great school.

GRCHS- Class of 03'

I believe that Rockford had already been hired as the CM.

Catholic Centrals Gym is being built at the Leffingwell/Knapp site. It will be an addition to the existing locker room that is there presently.

Was this land donated to CC? I always wondered why it's located so far from the school. I'm glad to see that both schools benefit, growing up in a CC neighborhood it was CC vs WC all the time. Or was it CC vs EGR????

EGR 95'

-TripleG

I think the story was that Dick Lacks donated or bought that land for a possible new school for CC but thankfully it was decided that CC would not leave downtown.

I know at one point, CC was looking at buying the land which is now Heartside Park to build soccer facilities back in the 1990's. That obviously fell through and everything ended up out at the CAT.

It will be interesting to see if Catholic makes a push to build a brand new stadium of its own. There is no room at the CAT for a stadium- even around the current freshman football field. Personally I would like to see them stay at Houseman Field. There is a ton of history and tradition there. CC should try to buy a stake in the stadium and help improve it more and thus have a bit more control over scheduling. (example being this year CC vs EGR is going to be at Christian Field while Union vs Wyoming Park will be at Houseman) who will have the bigger crowd???????

alright, here are the exterior renderings of the West Catholic gymnasium, they are really crappy by my standards, but what can I say, I was young and still learning Microstation and Photoshop

circa 2001

south end at night

223180567_5575f69364_b.jpg

view from south

223180568_30f57d6ed5.jpg

view from east

223180569_2a2ffe267f_b.jpg

we have a couple interior shots too, I like them better so I'll put them up when I can

The Bishop is also considering bringing all of the diocesesan office downtown, and extending the plaza that is in front of the Cathedral and CC all the way to Wealthy. It sounds like a very ambitious plan. I hope he does because those offices really ought to be in the middle of the "See" city

WC '89

Archived