Restaurant in Peerless

AriPVD

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wish list for Prov also includes a great seafood place like Quito's or Evelyn's. No McSchmormacks or Big Fish. Fresh basic seafood a la clam shack. Horton's is just too far.

I'm hoping for a good seafood shack on the waterfront south of the Hurricane Barrier after the 195 work is done.

How about getting the owner of Madeira to open a nice Portuguese Restaurant? There's practically none in Providence itself. On Sundays they could have fresh malassadas (however the hell you spell it) for breakfast.

I was thinking the same things, we really should have a Portuguese restaurant in Downcity Providence. I don't know if anyone from East Providence would come here though, they seem to be doing just fine in EP. If someone sold Malassadas Downcity I would weigh 500 pounds within a week. :sick:

I'm not sure if it detracts from Ari's point of posting, but...

I think a Portugese place would be great too, but I'm not sure about right downcity. I actually think that either of the SBER locations would be great for a nice Portugese place. Actually, considering how much of RI's heritage is Portugese, maybe having it right next to the Heritage Harbor museum would work well?

I know chains in general suck but I am surprised that there isn't a Fresh City downcity somewhere. The postive thing about chains is that they have a lot better financial backing. It seems that lunch-style places come and go at a furious pace downcity. I'm not really sure where it would go, though.

It should be a place that residents feel comfortable going to several nights a week.

I was thinking of this aspect of Ari's post... How many places do most people consider going to several nights per week? Whew, not many. I'm reading Ari's mind here that perhaps they're looking for a "Kitchen for Downcity."

So, several times per week. The only types I think that most people would do that for would be:

- Pub food

- Pizza

- Chinese

- Breakfast/diner

And what else, really? That's where Cotuit's point about something like Fellini's makes sense, since I can see a good, hip, slick sit down pizza place doing well there. Especially something like Pintalle's in NYC, this from the NYTimes:

"Pintaile''''s, which has several branches scattered around Manhattan, specializes in pizzas with crisp, paper-thin crusts that are light in calories and heft yet full of flavor. The classic pie is the best, made with sliced plum tomatoes rather than sauce, with mozzarella, Parmesan and herbs. Vegans can order it without the cheese. Other nonmeat choices include wild mushrooms; goat cheese, eggplant, pine nuts and olives, and Greek pizza, made with feta cheese, olives and artichoke hearts."

Another candidate could be (in the New England chain category) American Flatbread (although I bet that space would be too small for them).

Everything else we've all been suggesting (Ethiopian, New American, Portuguese, German, Middle Eastern, etc, etc) I can't see being a several night/week affair.

I do have to agree with Jerry ( :shok: ) and cast some doubt on the entire idea of a "neighborhood" restaurant for Downcity, though for different reasons. "Neighborhood" style restaurants don't seem to be doing that well right now anywhere, and the people I know in the food/dining industry keep telling me how there isn't enough population in any one neighborhood anywhere in the city to support them and that restaurants need to have some "destination" character or element.

If we get another New American downtown, why would someone, say, living in Summit go there regularly over Blaze? Why would someone in Wayland Sq go there frequently instead of Red Stripe or Twist? Why would someone in downtown going to the Trinity Rep go there over Bravo a block away, or someone working in Citizen's there over 3 Steeple or Citron? Federal Hill folks have their own New American options. I just worry it'll get lost in the shuffle. I mean, I love Blaze in Hope Village, but rarely go since I also love Red Stripe and Red Stripe is a block from my condo.

Is there enough critical mass now downtown to support what will essentially be a neighborhood restaurant vs having something more unique that might draw from the entire city or region?

Just food for thought...

- Garris

there seem to be plenty of "destination restaurants" in the greater downtown area, how about one where folks just go to dinner when they don't feel like cooking, like a Greggs type deal? Or a place that has a big gourmet to go counter (in addition to being a sitdown place) that would draw not only upon the residents of downtown but all the office workers who need to bring home something for dinner. I would imagine that the rent for that spot will be pricey so the restaurant has to be a winner right out of the box. It probably can't afford to flounder and find a niche market or educate people.

i love most of your posts, garris... and this is no exception.

here's what i'm thinking for that aspect... something with pub type food, sandwiches, and comfort food (which i guess can fall into the pub food category in a way). a down home type place that might also be a bit hip and funky. pasta dishes, meat dishes (like meat loaf, cheaper steak dishes, beef stew), burgers, sandwiches, grilled chicken, big salads, etc. i guess what i'm thinking is sort of an independent fridays type place that's a bit more hip (although i think fridays is trying to become a bit more hip with their newer look and menu). that's what i'm thinking...

there seem to be plenty of "destination restaurants" in the greater downtown area, how about one where folks just go to dinner when they don't feel like cooking, like a Greggs type deal? Or a place that has a big gourmet to go counter (in addition to being a sitdown place) that would draw not only upon the residents of downtown but all the office workers who need to bring home something for dinner. I would imagine that the rent for that spot will be pricey so the restaurant has to be a winner right out of the box. It probably can't afford to flounder and find a niche market or educate people.

wow... i guess after writing what i just wrote, you summed it up with "greggs". why not a gregg's downtown? it's got the name recognition of the locals, it's an extremely popular lunch spot (the one on north main is practically standing room only for lunch), and it's decent food.

i think gregg's can attract pleny of people right from the start, although i think it'd have to have a better bar than most of them do.

I don't care what goes there as long as it has a large, lit sign, situated perpendicular to the street.

DO NOT miss the opportunity to animate that corner with creative signage. If people need to testify at zoning and other committee meetings on this, sign me up! I'll have bells on!

why not a gregg's downtown? it's got the name recognition of the locals,

I think JimmyGreaves mentioned Gregg's to me last night and I looked at him blankly. Maybe it's just me.

So what exactly is Gregg's?

I don't care what goes there as long as it has a large, lit sign, situated perpendicular to the street.

DO NOT miss the opportunity to animate that corner with creative signage. If people need to testify at zoning and other committee meetings on this, sign me up! I'll have bells on!

I think JimmyGreaves mentioned Gregg's to me last night and I looked at him blankly. Maybe it's just me.

So what exactly is Gregg's?

gregg's is a local chain restaurant, similar to chelo's, but 100x better. the food isn't anything to write home about, but it's not expensive and not bad either. and their desserts, especially cakes, are really really good. and the place is always mobbed at lunch.

Why not a gregg's downtown?

Because if the goal is to make Westminster, a hip, cool, trendy etc.. destination/neighborhood Gregg's is the antithesis of all those things... Formica tables, booths, lots of children. I say all that being a fan of Gregg's for what is. Which in answer to Cotuit is a family friendly restaurant, serving sandwiches, salads and comfort food (meat loaf, fried chicken) and a broad array of heavy and delicious desserts. The one on North Main also has a pub attached. In short, a non-chain, local precursor to the TGI Fridays, Applebees of the world.

greggs has good, fresh food. not terribly inventive but a gigantic menu. The desserts, however are classic. I don't know how it is that Cello's always wins best cake when clearly Greggs' has the best regular guy dessert in the universe. the chocolate cream pie, which comes as its own little personal pie is better than any homemade pie (although i'm on the fence regarding the crust) and the only cake which i do not think is stellar is the carrot cake and that's because Pastiche makes the best carrot cake known to man or beast.

in other news: i got a good sammich as per usual at Amentities Deli on Westminster. I needed a big warm comfort-foody sammich after attending a funeral for a 17 year boy this morning. Please, people, wear your seatbelts, if not for your own safety than for those who are left behind when you are exercising your right not to wear a seatbelt. :(

Because if the goal is to make Westminster, a hip, cool, trendy etc.. destination/neighborhood Gregg's is the antithesis of all those things... Formica tables, booths, lots of children. I say all that being a fan of Gregg's for what is. Which in answer to Cotuit is a family friendly restaurant, serving sandwiches, salads and comfort food (meat loaf, fried chicken) and a broad array of heavy and delicious desserts. The one on North Main also has a pub attached. In short, a non-chain, local precursor to the TGI Fridays, Applebees of the world.

i wonder if gregg's would be willing to design a more hip place for downtown...

i don't think this restaurant has to be trendy, and since ari said that he wants people to go there often and it to be neighborhood-y, i don't think trendy is what we're looking for.

i think gregg's maybe with a different look and special menu?

I agree - I don't think a Gregg's type of place would work with the new downtown/Westminster image. There's no reason that a local establishment couldn't work though. Citron is a good example of locals collaborating and creating a unique, hip restaurant downtown.

Personally, I always loved Dali and Tasca in Boston and think a tapas place would be a perfect destination restaurant.

i suspect that the downtown dinner crowd will not simply be a bunch of hipsters looking for the next hot thing, but in fact, some regular people who just don't feel like cooking. Not every meal has to be an EXPERIENCE. i think a comfort food station could work downtown just fine. There are plenty of other restaurants people can go to to see and be seen. not every downtown experience has to be cutting edge, you know--some things can be really regular and still be urban.

Chelo's is a crappy restaurant in East Providence, Warwick (two spots, one on the water) and I think Cranston too maybe. People seem to like it, but I think it sucks, nothing special except big burgers.

I'd much rather see a Gregg's, they have the most amazing cakes and pies and are usually open late too.

If we're looking on the order of greggs/chelos, I'd like to suggest Brighams. There used to be a fantastic Brighams in downtown Boston right in the financial district. There were a few others, too.

Great local ice cream. Excellent, comfy diner style menu.

Did I mention great ice cream?

i wonder if gregg's would be willing to design a more hip place for downtown...

i don't think this restaurant has to be trendy, and since ari said that he wants people to go there often and it to be neighborhood-y, i don't think trendy is what we're looking for.

i think gregg's maybe with a different look and special menu?

Don't get me wrong I love Greggs and certainly would not mind seeing one downtown somewhere as another lunch option for me and my cohorts, especially after the loss of Downcity. But Greggs' is a brand and chain, even if only a Rhode Island brand and chain. Putting a Gregg's on Westminster with a different, look, feel and menu would face two burdens 1) convincing the hip and cool denizens of DownCity not to associate this Westminster Greggs, with the other Gregg's locations and 2) convicning Greggs that it should dilute its brand. If you just want a place that does burgers, sandwiches and some comfort food you already have Murphys, Blakes and Trinity within a five minute walk. HEDS will take care of the cakes and pies.

Maybe trendy and hip were a poor choice of words. But "neighborhoody" in the context of Downcity as it is developing along Westminster, does not mean TGI Fridays/Greggs type place to me. Think of the demographics of this particular neighborhood. Who is living in the Peerless lofts at $1300+? I am assuming young proffesionals without kids and empty nesters, I am not envisioning the same minivan/suv crowd that fills Gregg's parking lot night after night. And that it is not a value judgment against the SUV/Minivan crowd. They are my neighbhors and once I have kids i'll be one too - though preferably with a stationwagon.

Wasn't there some talk a while back about a Pho Pasteur opening in Providence? A location like the one in the Telephone Building in Boston would fit nicely in the Peerless space. Carambola (more casual sister of Elephant Walk) would be great too.

Wasn't there some talk a while back about a Pho Pasteur opening in Providence? A location like the one in the Telephone Building in Boston would fit nicely in the Peerless space. Carambola (more casual sister of Elephant Walk) would be great too.

There was talk of both Elephant Walk and Pho Pasteur coming here, but that talk has silenced.

Check this out for general inspiration:

http://www.knickerbockerbarandgrill.com/

Change the name to What Cheer Bar & Grill and you have a winner.

Someone remind me of AS220s plans for the Dreyfus. Are they doing a full service neighbourhood place, or more of a lounge type place?

even jaded, scarf wearing, clunky clear plastic eye glass frame sporting hipsters and certainly empty nesters sick of cooking want a meal made with fewer than 15 separate and distinct ingredients sometimes.

I still don't get why it would be such a stretch to have a regular almost family type restaurant downtown? How does that not fit into some new vision of downtown? That no one wearing a polo shirt and running shoes need venture nor live?

I was going to mention something along the lines of a Kildare's to go on Westminster (or somewhere downcity) until I remembered that the Dreyfus was going to have that cool, old-wooden-looking-with-stained-glass-windows bar on its ground level. Then again, I don't really know what they have planned for that space, so I'll suggest that we get a Kildare's downcity.

Archived