Restaurant in Peerless

AriPVD

...how about a Republic sort of place?

http://www.thinknoodles.com/

This place is soooo good and reasonably priced. The Union Sq-NYC spot is not unlike Peerless--high ceilinged cavernous place. It's pretty loud and fast-moving inside. Long picnic-table seating, seats at a bar, some tables. And the noodles are so good. You go back again and again. Wasn't that a requirement?

Outstanding suggestion...

With the exception of the fact it's not New American and old-boy-clubish, it would fit Ari's requirements perfectly. When I lived in NYC, I'd go 2 or three times a week to meet folks there at times.

Absolutely perfect suggestion.

- Garris

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and then there is always Coffee Shop...

I do wish there were a cafe like Coffee Exchange Downcity. Tazza doesn't meet that need and Brewed Awakenings is gone. I've become partial to Cafe Chocolad at North Main & Thomas lately, which being on the East Side of the river is technically not Downcity. But then again, with two Starbucks Downcity, plus the DDs and Tim Horton's, maybe there isn't a need.

and then there is always Coffee Shop...

There's actually a great coffee shop called "The Village Cafe" in Wrentham. They also had a shop in the Emerald Sqaure Mall, but I suspect were forced out when Starbucks wanted to move in. As far as I know, the Wrentham location (in the outlets) is the only one around now. I'd love to see them do something in Providence. Their coffee is 80 times better than either Starbucks or Dunkin.

Union's Sq's Coffee Shop isn't exactly a coffee shop, more like a place to hang out iwth brazilian models if you like that sort of thing. I did like the sidewalk smoothie bar. Do they still have that? Providence could use one of them smoothie sidewalks. Didn't Lupos used to have sort of a sidewalk sandwich setup? Was it a Geoff's offshoot or its own deal?

Did Prov ever get one of those take-out soup places during the soup craze? Like the Seinfeld soup nazi? I know there's Spoons, but...sigh...

Think noodles!

What I would really like to see in providence is a Hawaiian place. Either something seriously good like this: http://www.nohos.com/ or even just a fastfood place like this: http://www.hawaiianbarbecue.com/

Its where Japanese and American comfort food come together. SO GOOD!

Oh, I love Hawaiian cuisine!! I was just telling a friend yesterday that I think it's going to be one of the next culinary big things. It's the ultimate Asian-fusion comfort food.

I think one of the best meals I've ever had (and super cheap too, for like 15 bucks for an obscene amount of food) was at a Hawaiian place at a hole in the wall restaurant in a suburban style strip plaza on the Big Island...

Is there any Hawaiian place North of NYC (where I know there are a few)?

- Garris

Oh, I love Hawaiian cuisine!! I was just telling a friend yesterday that I think it's going to be one of the next culinary big things. It's the ultimate Asian-fusion comfort food.

I think one of the best meals I've ever had (and super cheap too, for like 15 bucks for an obscene amount of food) was at a Hawaiian place at a hole in the wall restaurant in a suburban style strip plaza on the Big Island...

Is there any Hawaiian place North of NYC (where I know there are a few)?

- Garris

I googled around a bit a while ago and I think there is one in Boston, but thats it. L&L Barbeque is a franchise deal - Its not the best, but its a lot better than most fast food and its a great novelty. I think it could be very successfull in pvd. Even better would be a "real" hawaiian restaurant. While we were in Portland we went to NoHos twice. Fanfriggentastic! A $12 Chicken Yakisoba was enough for 3-4 people easily. SO good!

i would be ecstatic if the mews opened a location in providence!! and i think that covers everything that ari would want (although i'm not sure the size of the place would be big enough, so it'd have to be sort of both the martini bar and the restaurant all in one.

I agree that they couldn't have "regions" sectioned off like they are in Wakefield. The layout of the current location is more a result of the organic nature of their growth than anything else. I mentioned the martini bar just to let folks know they knew how to run a beer bar, a martini bar, and a restaurant all quite nicely. In the Peerless they would have to roll all 3 into one but I think they could pull it off with ease.

I agree that they couldn't have "regions" sectioned off like they are in Wakefield. The layout of the current location is more a result of the organic nature of their growth than anything else. I mentioned the martini bar just to let folks know they knew how to run a beer bar, a martini bar, and a restaurant all quite nicely. In the Peerless they would have to roll all 3 into one but I think they could pull it off with ease.

definitely... it could be hip and comforting. :thumbsup: the burgers there are awesome and i don't think there's anywhere in providence that has the beer selection they've got.

definitely... it could be hip and comforting. :thumbsup: the burgers there are awesome and i don't think there's anywhere in providence that has the beer selection they've got.

The Wickenden Pub has a wide variety, however they don't keep as many on tap as the Mews.

I think The Mews would be a great candidate. The only downside is that I know the one in South County tends to attract quite a few college kids, which Im sure is not exactly the clientele that one would want at Peerless.

I must say I cant imagine eating out 5X's a week! I think it would kill me! One of the things I hate when I travel for business is having to eat out every night. It just seems to eat up so much time, plus I think I would be even fatter than I already am.

frankly, i don't think it'll matter. it will attract a lot of college kids, but almost anything that ari seemed to describe will, unless it's an usual ethnic place. you also have to remember that there are more non-college kids in providence than there are in wakefield during the school year. narragansett is almost entirely populated by URI students from labor day to graduation. but you have to admit, there's nothing like the mews currently in providence. while i've never had their pizza or anything other than burgers, they have a decent sized menu, which fits the bill for what it sounds like ari is looking for, not to mention their bar.

i also can't imagine eating out 5x's a week. i can't even imagine eating out 3 times a week. it gets expensive and will make me fat (and i can't afford to gain anymore weight or spend anymore money than i already do).

• 8 months later...

Archived