Columbia area growth

waccamatt

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go with the numbers game again. :)

Columbia's MSA population has been growing at a rate of 6.6% since 2000, which translates into about 43,000 additional bodies; Greenville's has been growing at about 5.6%, which equals about 31,000 people. Of course, if we're talking about the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA, of course it has added more people than the Columbia CSA (even then, not by much--only about 15,000 more people), but is comparable in terms of percentage. I have no idea why people think the Greenville area is growing like gangbusters while Columbia is sitting idle, molding like 7-day old bread. Must be Greenville's visible progress from I-85.

Here we go with the numbers game again. :)

Columbia's MSA population has been growing at a rate of 6.6% since 2000, which translates into about 43,000 additional bodies; Greenville's has been growing at about 5.6%, which equals about 31,000 people. Of course, if we're talking about the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA, of course it has added more people than the Columbia CSA (even then, not by much--only about 15,000 more people), but is comparable in terms of percentage. I have no idea why people think the Greenville area is growing like gangbusters while Columbia is sitting idle, molding like 7-day old bread. Must be Greenville's visible progress from I-85.

ok - I can tell you that I work for a fortune 10 company - we are expanding like mad in Greenville. We are shrinking here. The customer base we have in Greenville is huge compared to Columbia. I admit I don't have a command of the data, but in my world there is a different feel between the 2 cities. I wonder if stats lag reality and in a year or two the difference will show - or maybe my experience is an anomoly. One thing about Greenville is that it is pro-business/private sector, where in Columbia there is an underlying suspicion about anything that is not goverment/education. I am a native of Columbia, btw.

ok - I can tell you that I work for a fortune 10 company - we are expanding like mad in Greenville. We are shrinking here. The customer base we have in Greenville is huge compared to Columbia. I admit I don't have a command of the data, but in my world there is a different feel between the 2 cities. I wonder if stats lag reality and in a year or two the difference will show - or maybe my experience is an anomoly. One thing about Greenville is that it is pro-business/private sector, where in Columbia there is an underlying suspicion about anything that is not goverment/education. I am a native of Columbia, btw.

Well, the October 2006 edition of Entrepreneur Magaize ranks Columbia ahead of Greenville on their list of the best metro areas to start a business.

Well, the October 2006 edition of Entrepreneur Magaize ranks Columbia ahead of Greenville on their list of the best metro areas to start a business.

I also read that... And the fastest growing metros are the coast, the midlands and then upstate. I really don't think any of this matters because at one time Charleston was bigger than Charlotte now look what happened. Both Columbia and Greenville have the potential to become great cities.

Oh there's no doubt that when it comes to the private sector, Greenville is doing a much better job than Columbia. This I do know and it is one of my frustrations with Columbia, considering that it has an excellent base upon which to attract private investment. However, there are several places out there that are experiencing expansion in the business sector but lack high population growth figures (Louisville comes to mind). One isn't necessarily indicative of the other. But even so, the population growth is pretty much comparable for both places. The positive in all of this is that Columbia's local economy is pretty stable. I'm hoping that SCANA's departure from downtown is a blessing in disguise, as it will force city leaders to actively recruit new business to the city, particularly downtown.

Most of the Fortune 10 companies that woudl be 'expanding like mad' are big oil companies. So I assume by expansion you mean in terms of gas stations and what not. That actually makes sense, given the rate that the Upstate in general is sprawling. I would argue that Columbia is soing a better job of retaining and reusing existing facilities than the Upstate, just based on my experience with these areas.

Not knowing what the company is, makes it hard to comment. The 2 cities have an entirely different type of population, though. Columbia and Greenville have little in common, other than being in the same state.

Not knowing what the company is, makes it hard to comment. The 2 cities have an entirely different type of population, though. Columbia and Greenville have little in common, other than being in the same state.

That is a pretty general statement. From my experience in both places, I would say that both cities are Southern, growing rapidly, and totally into new technology/development, among other things. You are correct about there being certain differences, but I don't think you mean that they make one better than the other. Columbia is growing in the way it must, while taking advice from cities it admires, just as Greenville does on a regular basis for its growth in a different location.

I think the development in both cities are paralleling each other in many aspects. Andape. Right now both areas recieving alot of growth. And I've seen it printed more than twice Columbia is as Innovista and ICAR build out, cooperation between the two cities will be key for the good of the entire state.

I do agree what one has done the other has done also meaning Innovista and ICAR. Both will boost S.C.'s economy tremdously. I have read more than twice that Columbia's population is suppose to double by 2025.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived