Demolition of the 1917 Birmingham News building

Dystopos

The News' request for a demolition permit goes before the Birmingham Design Review Committee tomorrow (Wednesday) morning at 7:30 at the Center for Regional Planning and Design, 1731 1st Avenue North.

Some talking points on the demolition issue:

* Quinlan Castle, 10 years newer than the News

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from the design review meeting.

There was a lot of opposition to the demolition of the old sNews building, and it appeared that it was going to go for a vote...

But someone made the motion to carry over the vote to the next session when the design review board's President was present and when the head of the Auburn design group was present as well....

The matter that is before Design Review now may, ultimately be of no significance to the future of the building. I have a feeling that, in the end, that committee will be discussing the most appropriate design for a parking lot fence. I at least hope that they stick to their guns and, when the permit is finally issued, that it is clearly against the interest of the public as represented by the Committee and the Council at Large.

For the building to be saved, I think, will still require the News to change its mind. I think that they should and I hope that they will. If a developer made them an unexpected offer to redevelop the building with a new shared parking deck alongside it, I think that would be the ideal solution both for the City and for the News.

So, anybody know any developers?

• 3 weeks later...

The decision to demolish the old Birmingham News building on 22nd Street has been denied. The City Design Review Committe has postponed the decision at least 6 months. However, Victor Hanson III, the publisher of The News said:

He said the company explored renovating the building three years ago, but its heating and air conditioning, electrical, plumbing and other systems were so outdated the work was priced at a minimum of $17.4 million.
Basically, he saying that it would cost too much to renovate the building to current reasonable standards.

However the opposition to the building's demolition:

Randy Marks, an architect involved in historic preservation in Birmingham, told the committee he understands the company's dilemma but believes that in time a suitable alternative to demolition can be found for the structure.

This seems not to be the end of this.

Panel denies News' demolition request

Basically, he saying that it would cost too much to renovate the building to current reasonable standards.

I am assuming Hanson III means that it would have cost too much to renovate and continue to use as the newspaper's hq?

Is renovationg for the purpose of residential use is not an option?

• 6 months later...

http://www.al.com/business/birminghamnews/....xml&coll=2

The City of Birmingham Design Review has approved the plan to demolish the 1917 Birmingham News Building. What is so embarrassing is the fact the The News the preservation and revitalization of historical downtown building, but they are doing the total opposite themselves. I guess at the end of the day regardless of what they say on paper, all that matters is the dollars and cents. :rolleyes:

http://www.al.com/business/birminghamnews/....xml&coll=2

The City of Birmingham Design Review has approved the plan to demolish the 1917 Birmingham News Building. What is so embarrassing is the fact the The News the preservation and revitalization of historical downtown building, but they are doing the total opposite themselves. I guess at the end of the day regardless of what they say on paper, all that matters is the dollars and cents. :rolleyes:

One would hope that the days of tearing down historic downtown buildings and replacing them with parking lots were over. Shame on the Birmingham News.

I don't believe that $17.4 million dollar renovation figure. That number looks like it was fabricated to help their demolition argument.

Just curious: how many of the people upset about the decision put up their own money to buy the building and then do what you think appropriate?

I hate to see that building go (I worked there briefly) but it doesn't seem the News is capriciously demolishing it. Although, parking was an issue even at that point.

• 2 weeks later...

did anyone catch this? the bham design review committee has reversed a pending demolition permit for this building, and, apparently, the onus is now on the news and victor hanson to challenge the decision. that means demolition plans are somewhere between 'on hold' and 'suspended altogether.'

birmingham weekly article, march 28:

http://warondumb.wordpress.com/2007/03/28/...e-news/#more-30

did anyone catch this? the bham design review committee has reversed a pending demolition permit for this building, and, apparently, the onus is now on the news and victor hanson to challenge the decision. that means demolition plans are somewhere between 'on hold' and 'suspended altogether.'

Archived