The "dead" University Mall

I would agree on observation that PHYSICALLY, Universtiy Mall itself is a much nicer, newer, better designed structure than McCain Mall. It has never been a physical, infrastructure problem - rather deliberate mismanagement. The press has highlighted leaks and repairs, but that's just for the Ward store location, etc...

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

University is older than McCain. P Plaza and University were built in the 60's, McCain in the very early 70's, 73 I believe. University will still be there 2 years from now., this is gonna take a while to solve. If the property owners get it back from Simon, that would be good, I agree.

Are you sure McCain is older than University. I can remember going to University Mall in the late 60s and don't believe McCain was built until later. You're right about Simon's mismanagement of University. Every structure needs regular maintenence and they just quit doing any. Eating at the U.M. Franke's over the years you could see the mall deteriorating. I hope the property owners are able to regain control of the land and engage a top notch developer.

Yes, you are correct. The original University Mall was actually built just before McCain Mall, but University was essentially rebuilt in 1988 - completely overhauled with a second level, entirely new roof structure, parking deck, etc. McCain has never seen any extensive renovation - just minor interior updates. I was comparing existing structures, and in that vein, the current University Mall is a "newer" facility than McCain.

One thing I am curious about....now with more merchants at Park Plaza, the new Midtowne shoppes, and Shackleford Crossing opening in 07, what retailers are left to completely fill a new project such as a brand new rebuilt University. It also makes me wonder what boutique-type shops will go out at Promenade. I mean, anchors like Macy's or Dillards are easy, but how many little shops are left to fill these up, such as Chicos, Gap, etc.???

One thing I am curious about....now with more merchants at Park Plaza, the new Midtowne shoppes, and Shackleford Crossing opening in 07, what retailers are left to completely fill a new project such as a brand new rebuilt University. It also makes me wonder what boutique-type shops will go out at Promenade. I mean, anchors like Macy's or Dillards are easy, but how many little shops are left to fill these up, such as Chicos, Gap, etc.???

There are plenty of retailer that can locate here and fill up another development. Just look at some of the retailers that have located to the Pinnacle Hills Promenade in Rogers that aren't in the Little Rock Market:

CJ Banks

Christopher & Banks (In McCain Mall, no location in LR)

Coach

Nine West

Discovery Channel Store

Forever 21

Sephora

Brookstone

Brighton Collectibles

Brighton

Just to name a few and stores like Crate and Barrel, Restoration Warehouse, Apple Store and many others that aren't in Arkansas at all.

Courtesy of Rory Brock at Talk Business, here are a couple of pictures of recent mixed use redevelopments owned by Simon Properties. Note I don't think we can pull off the type of stores you find at the Domain or South Park, at least not some of them. It's just an example that Simon CAN do it if it wants to.

Village of South Park (Charlotte, NC)

These are apartments over retail coming to Charlotte at Charlotte's premier mall, South Park.

Simon%202.jpg

The Domain (Austin, TX)

From www.urbanaustin.com...

The Domain, opening in March 2007, will feature 800,000 square feet of luxury, couture, contemporary fashion and restaurant space. It will cater to Austin's affluent population with luxury retailers like the city's very first Neiman Marcus. The 57-acre first phase of this mixed-use project will include an upscale Main Street center featuring Macy's, eight first-class restaurants, 75,000 square feet of Class A office space, 390 high-end apartments and a full-service hotel.

Joining Neiman Marcus & Macy's, in Phase I, will be Tiffany & Co., Polo Ralph Lauren, Barney's Co-op, Willams-Sonoma Home, Louis Vuitton, Bailey Banks & Biddle, Lilly Pulitzer, Hugo Boss, Emporio Armani, Tourneau, St. Thomas Boutique, Betty Sport, Scarbroughs, Oakville Market, plus many others to be announced in the near future. Two restaurants have signed on; NoRTH and Pauli Moto's Asia Bistro (co-owned by Iron Chef Morimoto).

Phase II of The Domain is expected to begin construction sometime in 2007. Very little information is being released with regards to possible tenants including two anchor stores.

470px-Domain200301.jpg

472px-Domain200302.jpg

Domain200305.jpg

DSCN4582-vi.jpg

Aside from poor management isn't part of the problem of UM the fact that its anchors are lack-luster? I would suspect the fall from glory that MM Cohn took would be part of the issue. I remember we used to have them here in Memphis and it was a nicer store. When I last visited LR I was disappointed to see that MM Cohn had almost become like an indoor yard sale.

JC Penney attracts a specific crowd as well. Without having someone to compete with Dillard's the mall just lost all competitiveness. macy's could probably save the mall. Question is... is LR on Macy's radar?

Aside from poor management isn't part of the problem of UM the fact that its anchors are lack-luster? I would suspect the fall from glory that MM Cohn took would be part of the issue. I remember we used to have them here in Memphis and it was a nicer store. When I last visited LR I was disappointed to see that MM Cohn had almost become like an indoor yard sale.

JC Penney attracts a specific crowd as well. Without having someone to compete with Dillard's the mall just lost all competitiveness. macy's could probably save the mall. Question is... is LR on Macy's radar?

There's an article in the newspaper this morning talking about Simon's mixed use developments. It mentioned Richardson Square Mall near Dallas as another candidate for redevelopment and I've mentioned that here before as very similar in many ways to University Mall in size and scope (though it already has a Super Target attached to it). A lot of the specific developments Simon mentioned are larger and much more upscale than I think they would plan here.

I just want to see a proposal. Until then I'm not getting too excited.

There's an article in the newspaper this morning talking about Simon's mixed use developments. It mentioned Richardson Square Mall near Dallas as another candidate for redevelopment and I've mentioned that here before as very similar in many ways to University Mall in size and scope (though it already has a Super Target attached to it). A lot of the specific developments Simon mentioned are larger and much more upscale than I think they would plan here.

I just want to see a proposal. Until then I'm not getting too excited.

I guess that could happen, but I know the lawsuit isn't going to end for at least another month or so. It could be longer. The city will certainly wait to see what happens then. Meanwhile, the city and/or Simon will prob wait for JC Penney's and Cohn's to move b/f moving forward. Then they have leases to tend with. Some go through 09. Then there's the landowners who might sue if eminent domain took place. I think what might happen is Simon might purchase the land after the case and then try something around 09. Whatever happens, we're looking years out, not months or a year. Target wants the cite, but they'll want a long lease or purchase, and Simon can't give that now. It's a shame they have to tear it down to make everyone happy. It's a nice mall, much nicer than many older ones I've seen in Memphis, Dallas, etc. and has a great location. Building something like Simon proposes could take five years to complete from now by the time all leases expire, it's bulldozed and rebuilt. By that time, funny thing is Midtowne will be a little older with its first round of leases expiring, and if they don't all pan out, some of the better shops could close or move elsewhere.

I guess that could happen, but I know the lawsuit isn't going to end for at least another month or so. It could be longer. The city will certainly wait to see what happens then. Meanwhile, the city and/or Simon will prob wait for JC Penney's and Cohn's to move b/f moving forward. Then they have leases to tend with. Some go through 09. Then there's the landowners who might sue if eminent domain took place. I think what might happen is Simon might purchase the land after the case and then try something around 09. Whatever happens, we're looking years out, not months or a year. Target wants the cite, but they'll want a long lease or purchase, and Simon can't give that now. It's a shame they have to tear it down to make everyone happy. It's a nice mall, much nicer than many older ones I've seen in Memphis, Dallas, etc. and has a great location. Building something like Simon proposes could take five years to complete from now by the time all leases expire, it's bulldozed and rebuilt. By that time, funny thing is Midtowne will be a little older with its first round of leases expiring, and if they don't all pan out, some of the better shops could close or move elsewhere.

This stinks! And Max's comments are on the mark. This is a a less than ideal place for Chick-Fil-A. Access to the site for a fast-food local will be terrible... I hope the franchisee goes under.

Cut and pasted for ARKTIMES BLOG....

Today, you get a small, but telling indication of how these things happen in Little Rock.

It was a meeting of the Board of Adjustment. The fast food chain Chick-Fil-A, wants to put a store in the former Casual Corner property on Markham across from Park Plaza. As city officials tell it to me, the developers promised to abide by the "overlay" rules adopted not long ago to promote rational redevelopment of the University Avenue area. This is going to be critical if, as hoped, a major redevelopment of University Mall is undertaken.

Never mind all the loose talk. Chick-Fil-A, in the person of property owner and developer John Flake, got a waiver on the required number of parking places for the property despite opposition from 1) the city staff, 2) the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board and 3) City Director Stacy Hurst. Board of Adjustment decisions aren't appealable to the city board. The chicken chain earlier had gotten a waiver from sign rules. Their argument: they couldn't make the deal work without more parking. The vote was 3-1. Other land owners include Planning Commissoner Jeff Yates, Director Hurst said.

And so it goes in Little Rock. The next property owner seeking redevelopment in this area will say, "Well, if you can bend the rules for a chicken joint, why can't you bend them for me?" And if history -- from Asher to Rodney Parham to Highway 10 -- is a guide, you know what the answer is likely to be.

This stinks! And Max's comments are on the mark. This is a a less than ideal place for Chick-Fil-A. Access to the site for a fast-food local will be terrible... I hope the franchisee goes under.

Cut and pasted for ARKTIMES BLOG....

Today, you get a small, but telling indication of how these things happen in Little Rock.

It was a meeting of the Board of Adjustment. The fast food chain Chick-Fil-A, wants to put a store in the former Casual Corner property on Markham across from Park Plaza. As city officials tell it to me, the developers promised to abide by the "overlay" rules adopted not long ago to promote rational redevelopment of the University Avenue area. This is going to be critical if, as hoped, a major redevelopment of University Mall is undertaken.

Never mind all the loose talk. Chick-Fil-A, in the person of property owner and developer John Flake, got a waiver on the required number of parking places for the property despite opposition from 1) the city staff, 2) the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board and 3) City Director Stacy Hurst. Board of Adjustment decisions aren't appealable to the city board. The chicken chain earlier had gotten a waiver from sign rules. Their argument: they couldn't make the deal work without more parking. The vote was 3-1. Other land owners include Planning Commissoner Jeff Yates, Director Hurst said.

And so it goes in Little Rock. The next property owner seeking redevelopment in this area will say, "Well, if you can bend the rules for a chicken joint, why can't you bend them for me?" And if history -- from Asher to Rodney Parham to Highway 10 -- is a guide, you know what the answer is likely to be.

Archived