UP's influence on my life

grrwymg

So there I was walking out of McFadden's tonight @ 8PM heading home after golf.

As I walk out the door, appx 15 bike cops roll by on Ionia. First thing to pop in my head: "Boy, too bad Veloise wasn't here - she digs the boys in blue...on bikes to boot!"

Man - 6 months on this board and it has set its claws into me. And as Jerry Seinfeld would say: "Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

Sorry you missed it Veloise (and the rest of you who are fond of the boys in blue on bikes). :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I walk out the door, appx 15 bike cops roll by on Ionia. First thing to pop in my head: "Boy, too bad Veloise wasn't here - she digs the boys in blue...on bikes to boot!"

Man - 6 months on this board and it has set its claws into me. And as Jerry Seinfeld would say: "Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

Sorry you missed it Veloise (and the rest of you who are fond of the boys in blue on bikes). :)

Wow, me too!

(And they dig me. At BotM a cop greeted me by name. It was Ernie, the sarge in charge. I did not recognize him in "Class A" garb.)

You know you're hooked on UP when you fire up the 'puter in the AM to check the latest...

Explain something, if you will. I live kitty-corner from the cop shop, and during the changing of the guard, I see many young men (some women, too) carrying lunch pails (usually walking two abreast)... but they do not make eye contact, and if I happen to catch their eye and smile at them, they become suspicious.

What is up with that?

Wow, me too!

(And they dig me. At BotM a cop greeted me by name. It was Ernie, the sarge in charge. I did not recognize him in "Class A" garb.)

You know you're hooked on UP when you fire up the 'puter in the AM to check the latest...

Is this Ernie also a bike cop? Quite tall, really buzzed haircut, great smile, married, at least

one daughter?

From today's paper:

"On Thursday, [sgt Ernie] Stafford ran 11 officers through his 10-hour program. He's trained a total of 21 this week on the difficulties of jumping curbs, dealing with rough ground and being able to dismount and steady themselves in case they have to shoot their weapons."

So that's what it was.

Some years back I ran across bike patrol training in Ann Arbor, tagged along, and wrote a piece about it for the Observer. Pretty cool.

Archived