The population boom in the Triangle

willrusso

hopefully infill growth in downtown and its fringes will help build density. what leaders need to do is realize their growth boundries, and begin to fix what we already have, like low density developments becoming denser. If they are so headstrong about downtown's efforts to revitalize itself, then they need to push more on high density living and amenities. they are shooting themselves in the foot if they believe that people will move downtown, where there is no grocer or common-place amenities, including retail. they need to encourage ITB and surrounding areas like Crabtree and North Hills to become more dense, which may mean for leaders to lose their NIMBY qualities and compromise.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All in all the growth is a good thing. We just have to catch up some in schools and transportation arenas. Yes, I love the growth. It's so neat to have all the newness everywhere. And judging from the amount of new retailers and resturauntiers to the area the word is apparently out. That Raleigh and the Triangle is a booming area. Bring it on. :)

It is pretty amazing. The problem I have with the story is it propagates the notion that Raleigh is actually bigger than some of the cities they mention. I realize city population wise it technically is, though.

Kind of sucks WRAL used one of my photos in their graphic

http://raleighskyline.com/wral/

http://raleighskyline.com/images/cc1129s.jpg

Ive already talked to the Direcotr of Programming about that.

St. Louis, Tampa, Minneapolis, and many other much more urban cities will continue being perceived as larger, unless we fix that.

They are larger--in terms of urbanized area and metro population. Municipal population figures are about the most useless in determining the true size of a place.

Then again, don't most cities rely on their city proper population in order to determine who gets city water, trash collection, and other perks? I wouldn't say the number is useless. maybe in an urban way they are but in terms of politics and geography, and sheer pride, they mean something.

true, atlanta looks 10x the size of a city with only 450,000, but most of the population decline came from the city's problems with crime and higher prices with taxes. the same is going here, but our city propers are growing exponentially along with our metros, while atlanta is growning slightly within city limits, but exponentially in its metro.

i guess we'll never answer the question about believing in city propers or believing in urban areas to define a city's limits and size.

Ok I'm confused. If Raleigh gains population inside its city limits and not in the outer communities that means it is still small. In comparison to the other cities. Granted a large metro is what it is but if all of those people moved to Wake Forest, Zebulon, Garner, etc, etc...how would the city help itself in terms of funding. That is why I never got the UA. Whether it is in the city of surrounding area there is still a lot of growth. So in other words if all the growth is inside Raleigh is it not still growing but just densifying.(If the city doesn't continue to extend the city limits). Just a question I need to be answered.

The hurricanes in the Stanley Cup Finals right now is helping Raleigh's image nationwide. Since they are playing the Edmonton Oilers, this also gets the attention of Canadians too.

Hold that thought. I was posting on another site and just so happened to cruise through the Canada forum just to see what they were saying. Well one quote was a little upsetting. He basically said why would a person from Canada cheer for a team based in SOUTH CAROLINA. :sick:

On the flip side of that does the average american know where Edmonton is. I kinda doubt it. My thing is though the majority of the people in this counrty still get the two states mixed up. What will it take for the state to distinguish itself let alone a city. How many Raleighs are there. Really it is time for the Triangle and Charlotte to start boasting and getting their names out in the air. This whole lack of respect and pub is getting a little old........

Hold that thought. I was posting on another site and just so happened to cruise through the Canada forum just to see what they were saying. Well one quote was a little upsetting. He basically said why would a person from Canada cheer for a team based in SOUTH CAROLINA. :sick:

Damn, why'd we have to get the sick face? LOL At any rate, is that really surprising (especially from a non-U.S. resident), being that the name of the team is "Carolina Hurricanes"? After all, everyone knows we were "Carolina" first. :D

No offemse on the sick face I was just trying to convey my feelings on how is it the two states always get confused. More time than not SC is the name that gets tagged on to places in NC. Yeah but at least we tried to be settled first...damned Indians or whatever killed those colonist in Manteo.

They are larger--in terms of urbanized area and metro population. Municipal population figures are about the most useless in determining the true size of a place.

Exactly -- take a look at this list of the top 20 cities ranked by municipal population from Emporis. According to this measurement, Jacksonville, FL is bigger than San Francisco, and Boston didn't even make the top 20 (even though metro population is nearly 6,000,000 vs. Jacksonville's 1,300,00). It's a good way for a medium-sized city like Raleigh or Charlotte or Jacksonville to boost their morale about being a "big city," but it just honestly isn't a good way to measure.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/co/?id=100185

I wonder if he thinks Northern California and Southern California are 2 different states

Just read an article that originally appeared in the Philadelphia Inquirer. The writer had this to say about the home of the Canes:

"Carolina is anything but a traditional hockey market. Raleigh, N.C., isn't even a city. It's part of the Triangle with Durham and Chapel Hill. Yet it might end up with Lord Stanley's chalice."

How does he define city? I would think even Northern friends would say that with a population of more than 300,000, Raleigh would seem to be a city. What else is it if not a city, a town?

Just read an article that originally appeared in the Philadelphia Inquirer. The writer had this to say about the home of the Canes:

"Carolina is anything but a traditional hockey market. Raleigh, N.C., isn't even a city. It's part of the Triangle with Durham and Chapel Hill. Yet it might end up with Lord Stanley's chalice."

Hateration. Plain and Simple. The sad part is he will be moving down here like the rest in a couple of years.<_<

How does he define city? I would think even Northern friends would say that with a population of more than 300,000, Raleigh would seem to be a city. What else is it if not a city, a town?

:rofl:

I love stuff like this - it has less to do with the dictionary definition of 'city,' and more to do with the idea of cities, and lots of Southern and Western cities fit the definition, but not the idea. The hating should be a badge of honor IMO - nothing to get sensitive about. We don't (usually) have row houses, or the Village, or Chinatowns and Little Italies...so be it.

About 20 years ago a major insurance company was relocating their hq from NYC to one of two big Southern cities, and a journalist from the city that wasn't chosen referred to the city that was chosen as "...not a real city; it's just an overgrown truck stop." It could've been the center of some great, irreverent ad campaign, city motto...

^ get used to cities like philly making fun of the "little hick towns" in nc. During the panthers playoff games, their papers were talking so much sh!t. It was pure bliss when the cats demolished them in their own stadium. I wonder after we take all of their people and companies who will be laughing then. Go canes

I'm confused. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that most folks on the forum are pro-bigger. But what exactly *is* 'bigger'? More people? Taller buildings? More urban infill? All of the above? If so, what in turn do each of those mean on a practical daily level?

I'm genuinely curious what you guys think, not trying to be snarky at all. I'm a Raleigh native living DT - it's been interesting to watch the city grow & change.

I think a lot of people here are pro development, but most favor sensible urbanization (infill) over suburban sprawl that we see here in the Triangle. Personally, I like growth, but believe our planning leaves a lot to be desired. Check out the UGB topic over on the main forum.

Since they are playing the Edmonton Oilers, this also gets the attention of Canadians too.

And you know those Canucks are dying to leave behind their socialized health care to come live in Bush's America! :rofl:

True, look at atlanta. ATL City proper is what 450,000 but the metro is 3 million +

I think numbers like that mean a place is more sprawling. Don't the numbers above ^^^ reenforce the notion that Atlanta, GA is the "Capital of Sprawl"?

Bigger doesn't always mean better especially for a place like Raleigh. I get the impression that Raleigh's leadership think they're running a big eastern NC town.

Archived