The population boom in the Triangle

willrusso

I read on MSN last night Raleigh was ranked #3 of Americas most educated cities.

I would love to see a ranking of the educational attainment of the elected officials of major cities. I'd love to see where Raleigh and Wake County Commissioners stack up.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think numbers like that mean a place is more sprawling. Don't the numbers above ^^^ reenforce the notion that Atlanta, GA is the "Capital of Sprawl"?

I think there is a correlation as well, but I've seen some nasty sprawl within the city limits of a metro's primary city as well. University City in Charlotte anyone???

• 1 month later...

The Raleigh-Cary Metropolitan Statistical Area continues to grow at one of the fastest rates in the nation, according to the latest population estimates released by the U.S. Census Bureau.

The MSA grew 3.8 percent to 949,681 people during the 12 months ended July 1, 2005. That was the 12 fastest growth rate in the nation, the Census Bureau said.

The area has grown 18 percent since posting a population estimate of 804,139 in 2000. That rate rates the Raleigh-Cary MSA 10th in the nation in terms of percentage population growth between 2000 and 2005.

Raleigh-Cary ranked 51st in size for the second consecutive year, up from 54th in 2003.

The Triangle's other MSA, Durham, ranked 103rd in the nation in 2005 with a estimated total population of 456,187. That's up about 7 percent from 2000, when Durham's population estimate was 425,923.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/storie...tml?t=printable

So Raleigh-Cary's 949681 plus Durham/CH's 425923 =

The Triangle's estimated population at 1.38 million.

Cool.

No, you're using Durham's estimate from 2000. The new estimate is 456,187. I've been noticing that that Durham half of the Triangle is not growing nearly as fast as the Raleigh half.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get too excited over these stats since the overwelming percentage of growth is located in the rural parts of Wake and Chatham Counties through large annexations... in other words, sprawlville. (check out this link for more info on Raleigh) Growth is going to become completely unmanageable if we continue to grow this way--especially if we do not figure out a way to get TTA built sooner rather than later.

With the Chandeliers, Plensa, and now the TTA issue (among others), I'm getting less optimistic by the day that we have the leadership necessary to make this a liveable, vibrant, and progressive place in the coming years.

Yea, but you're still second best. :silly: Naw, I'm just kidding. Raleigh's growth is much faster than I had imagined it would become. Sprawl does need to be managed though, but I think every major metro in this country is encountering that same problem. Only issue with them, they've run out of room, so now they can correct the issue by building infrastructure to reconnect areas and build upward.

I'm hoping the "Urban Crescent" of RalChar becomes like that of BosWash. Or they may just become part of the BAMA (Boston-Atlanta Metropolitan Axis) once it fills in.

With the Chandeliers, Plensa, and now the TTA issue (among others), I'm getting less optimistic by the day that we have the leadership necessary to make this a liveable, vibrant, and progressive place in the coming years.

Hey thats Raleigh. Us western Triangle folks don't want to be associated with Cowtown USA. :rofl:

So finally the Triangle is officially larger than the Triad in population. I wonder when the Triangle will hit 2 million? It is unreal that Raleigh's MSA has gained 150,000 people since 2000 alone.

Using the CSA population number ( the 2 MSAs and the several Micros together) of 1,509,560. The growth in the past five years has been 197,000 people. At that rate of growth the Triangle will reach 2 million people in 2017/2018.

So in 10 years we will have 2 million people in the Triangle. How fast that is approaching us. Poor 1-40 will be renamed parking lot 1-40.

Using the MSA numbers which include orange, durham, chatham, person, wake, johnston, and franklin counties it would be 2021. So in 15 years.

Pretty phenomenal growth.

http://www.census.gov/population/www/estim...ages_final.html

I've been noticing that that Durham half of the Triangle is not growing nearly as fast as the Raleigh half.

That will have to eventually change as Wake County gets filled up. Durham County, and definitely Orange County, have way more room to grow. Plus they're more affordable than Wake (well, outside of Chapel Hill proper, that is)...and thus may be the beneficiaries of Wake County just getting too much and people realizing how less appealing the eastern alternative (Johnston County) is. :P

That will have to eventually change as Wake County gets filled up. Durham County, and definitely Orange County, have way more room to grow. Plus they're more affordable than Wake (well, outside of Chapel Hill proper, that is)...and thus may be the beneficiaries of Wake County just getting too much and people realizing how less appealing the eastern alternative (Johnston County) is. :P

There's a difference between Wake and Orange/Durham. Orange and Durham have figured out to a large degree what their water capacity is and don't intend to go over the limit. Ever wonder why the drought restrictions were all over Raleigh, but not a problem in Chapel Hill or Durham? This is why.

I think Johnston county is growing faster, (% wise), than Orange county and probably Durham county as well. It's just cheaper/more land out there than in the western Triangle and still has direct access to Raleigh. Or at least that is what my friends say who live in Johnston county. :)

Using the CSA population number ( the 2 MSAs and the several Micros together) of 1,509,560. The growth in the past five years has been 197,000 people. At that rate of growth the Triangle will reach 2 million people in 2017/2018.

So in 10 years we will have 2 million people in the Triangle. How fast that is approaching us. Poor 1-40 will be renamed parking lot 1-40.

Using the MSA numbers which include orange, durham, chatham, person, wake, johnston, and franklin counties it would be 2021. So in 15 years.

Pretty phenomenal growth.

http://www.census.gov/population/www/estim...ages_final.html

I believe that the Triangle will reach 2 million+ before 2017/2018 based on the fact that the Census re-examines each MSA/CSA every 10 years. And as in past Census they are adding/subtracting counties. And I think in the 2010 Census we will be adding at least several more counties to the Triangle CSA. :D

http://www.wral.com/news/5241587/detail.html

Man... you'd be able to get away with posting FUD like that if not for pesky ol' Google.

Okay, then I take it back for Durham. Durham has still done a much better job of conserving the area around Falls lake, while in Raleigh, they build skyscrapers in the floodplain.

OWASA in Orange County has used year-round conservation measures since its last brush with drought and has steered clear of the situation Raleigh (and apparently Durham, too) have faced.

Let hope with all this growth in the Triangle, Triad, and Charlotte, that we can get some power in the state legislature.

I40 and US1 north and south and US 64 will be parking lots if the state does not start some planning and improving these roads and all state roads in the area.

I40 can not be 20 lanes wide, people need other ways to travel. So other roads need to be upgraded.

What Raleigh need:

US 1 North should be a freeway up to I85. Part in north Raleig should be a a Texas style freeway.

US 64 West needs to become a freeway to Asheboro.

US 70 north to become a Texas style freeway to I85

US 70 to become a Texas style freeway to I95 South

NC 55 from US 1 South to a Texas style freeway to I40 and Durham Freeway.

Complete I 450

US 401 to become a Texas style freeway to Louisburg.

US 401 to become a Texas style freeway to Fayetteville

BRT lanes could be built in the middle of some of these projects

Actually, the slower growth in Orange and Durham is the result of the rabidly anti-growth/environmentalist sentiment in those counties. If Orange County weren't so opposed to development, Chapel Hill would be the size of Cary by now.

Well, to be fair, Orange County & Chapel Hill/Carrboro aren't "opposed to development"...but opposed to sprawl (which produces stuff like Cary)...and do encourage Smart Growth. :thumbsup:

Durham too, but to a lesser degree---their slower growth is more due to having a bad reputation, to be honest. I've read on many online forums that give advice to people who are transplanting to NC from other states...every time someone asks about Durham, a ton of people rush in "You don't want to live there! It's horrible!!". It's usually from people who live in Cary or North Raleigh, no surprise. :angry:

Archived