http://www.thevistana.com/

100 N. Santa Rosa Street

14-stories

246 apartments

30,000 sf ground level retail

4-levels of parking

Opening late spring 2008

thevistanadl4.jpg

So what do you think of the design eastsider?? I think it looks like it came out of the 1930-1940 era...

But if it does have a movie theatre built in then I think that is a way cool amenity!

^I like the design...but I'm not sure about the orangeish tint of it. I think that part of what gives it the look of the 30'-40's era you mentioned. Still I think it will fit in nicely in dtsa. The large floor plate gives the building great opportunities at ground level and if a movie theatre is part of it, even better!

^I like the design...but I'm not sure about the orangeish tint of it. I think that part of what gives it the look of the 30'-40's era you mentioned. Still I think it will fit in nicely in dtsa. The large floor plate gives the building great opportunities at ground level and if a movie theatre is part of it, even better!

Excellent looking condo

I love the 40's look of the building. Art Deco flourishes on urban buildings are often a good way to soften the blandness of large structures. I see nothing wrong with the "period" look of a new building- especially so as the details appear to be in proportion and (we hope) skillfully detailed. Excellent!

I love the 40's look of the building. Art Deco flourishes on urban buildings are often a good way to soften the blandness of large structures. I see nothing wrong with the "period" look of a new building- especially so as the details appear to be in proportion and (we hope) skillfully detailed. Excellent!

I guess i'm just looking at it with comparision stand point with that of Austin's down town development. Seems like high rise living is the new trend. But SA seems to come up short once again with yet another insignificant structure. Should everthing be about character in dtsa???

I guess i'm just looking at it with comparision stand point with that of Austin's down town development. Seems like high rise living is the new trend. But SA seems to come up short once again with yet another insignificant structure. Should everthing be about character in dtsa???

To me Austin is Austin, San Antonio is San Antonio. I've been through downtown Austin and was very impressed with everything I saw, but to me San Antonio and high rise is not really a perfect fit. Obvisiously a few highrises here and there has never hurt any city's urban landscape, however, I've always envisioned a more European look to San Antonio's downtown, where its less about height and awe and more of an amiable down to earth look to it. Sorta like Paris,

To me Austin is Austin, and San Antonio is San Antonio. Austin's dt is certainly going towards the modern look, which is highrises galore, but I don't think highrises and San Antonio fit perfectly. Of course a few highrises here and there has never hurt any city's urban landscape, but to I always envisioned SA's dt with a more european type theme. Which is more of a simple, down to earth, vibrant look than the sorta of intimidating "I feel so puny" theme you get with high rises. I don't mind how many stories it is, along as it brings much needed volume to San Antonio's downtown.

sorry for the double post, I thought I had lost the first one.

I agree San Antonio definitely need some high rises downtown. I just drove by downtown and seem like every building is brown. I woulsd say put a couple hi-rises on Pecan st and a couple more by the Tower Life Bldg and please don't let them be brown. Austin downtown is already getting the look of Paris(check out the Whole Food Store there) along with other hi and low rises with character. SA step up to the plate and get DT

representative of a city of 1.3 mil instead of 300K.

The riverwalk is awesome!!!!

To me Austin is Austin, San Antonio is San Antonio. I've been through downtown Austin and was very impressed with everything I saw, but to me San Antonio and high rise is not really a perfect fit. Obvisiously a few highrises here and there has never hurt any city's urban landscape, however, I've always envisioned a more European look to San Antonio's downtown, where its less about height and awe and more of an amiable down to earth look to it. Sorta like Paris,

Currently, San Antonio's highrises are taller than Austin's. We will continue to have the tallest until Austin's 700+' buildings are built. Who knows, by then AT&T may build a new HQs and return the Southcentral Texas Crown to SA. If you have any question, who has the more impressive buildings, imagine Austin with the TOA, the Rivercenter Marriott, the Weston Centre, and the Tower Life then imagine San Antonio with the Frost Tower, One American Center, Congress Plaza, and the Hilton. Which scenario improves the skyline more?

Austin does have more dynamic proposals-some uc others not-but SA also has several proposals, again some uc others not. It is only a matter of time before SA has a new, truly outstanding, signature tower. Let's hope it is not a residential tower. IMO, the TOA will always be SA's signature tower even if it is dwarfed by a new building.

After seeing what to place with the Hyatt Grand, could the Design and Review Commission be a factor in this. I guess my question is if developers have to go through that kind of hassle, could it be turning them off from doing projects in downtown? Or was the Hyatt Grand just a special case because there was public money involved?

I believe I remember reading within the last year or two that the city of Austin streamlined the zoning/approval process for the downtown area to make it easier for developers. Is this something that could be done in SA?

Who knows, by then AT&T may build a new HQs and return the Southcentral Texas Crown to SA.

This is something that I would love to see. I think that if a major corporation brought in a new large employment base, it would kick-start a huge wave of commercial and residential projects in the downtown market.

Currently, San Antonio's highrises are taller than Austin's. We will continue to have the tallest until Austin's 700+' buildings are built. Who knows, by then AT&T may build a new HQs and return the Southcentral Texas Crown to SA. If you have any question, who has the more impressive buildings, imagine Austin with the TOA, the Rivercenter Marriott, the Weston Centre, and the Tower Life then imagine San Antonio with the Frost Tower, One American Center, Congress Plaza, and the Hilton. Which scenario improves the skyline more?

Austin does have more dynamic proposals-some uc others not-but SA also has several proposals, again some uc others not. It is only a matter of time before SA has a new, truly outstanding, signature tower. Let's hope it is not a residential tower. IMO, the TOA will always be SA's signature tower even if it is dwarfed by a new building.

Okay....lets talk non-residentail tower. Yet another troubling issue to me is once again the new Frost Bank Tower in Austin. AUSTIN? WHY AUSTIN? I realize the new Frost Bank Tower houses more businesses besides Frost Bank, but is not San Antonio the HEAD QUARTERS!!! and please please don't get me wrong I know the Frost Bank Tower here in SA is a beatiful building both inside and out. But is it not out dated? Wouldn't you think for a financial institution who takes pride in being "TEXAN" want to build a neo gothic building like that of Austins' in San Antonio. This confuses me???

Okay....lets talk non-residentail tower. Yet another troubling issue to me is once again the new Frost Bank Tower in Austin. AUSTIN? WHY AUSTIN? I realize the new Frost Bank Tower houses more businesses besides Frost Bank, but is not San Antonio the HEAD QUARTERS!!! and please please don't get me wrong I know the Frost Bank Tower here in SA is a beatiful building both inside and out. But is it not out dated? Wouldn't you think for a financial institution who takes pride in being "TEXAN" want to build a neo gothic building like that of Austins' in San Antonio. This confuses me???

I think Frost was planning to build a Frost II several years ago, it was going to be in the park across the street from the bank. Who knows they may still do it. Nations Bank was also building a 30+ story 3 building complex, at the present AT&T HQs, before the real estate/banking crisis in the 80's. Two of the buildings were completed, the tall one was scraped. It would have been SA's tallest office building.

I am optimistic Frost, AT&T, or Red McCombs will do something major in DT SA soon.

Also, I don't think Frost had much to do, other than being the major tenant, with the construction of the Austin location.

Archived