Dyersburg lands automotive steering systems manufacturing plant

Clobber

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just about to post this. :D

This is another great bit of news for Dyersburg. The city of Dyersburg and Dyer County overall have been very pro-active and very successful in attracting industry. From what I can tell being from the region and following economic development, pound for pound, Dyersburg and Dyer County seem to be just as able and successful in landing industry as Jackson and Madison County are. Dyersburg definately is a model for how to go after industry, and is a small city to watch in the future. Its overall a very well ran city, as is Dyer County for that matter.

I also just read in the Dyersburg Gazette that the city is already talking about building a new spec building now that NSK has been landed in the current spec, which was just finished less than a year ago. Talk about being on top of things.

On a related note: Union City in Obion County just opened their new spec building this month, so maybe it can land something just as quickly as Dyersburg did with theirs. I-69 is going to be a huge selling point for NWTN; and as long as cities like Dyersburg, Union City, and others are proactive they should be secure the full economic potential the interstate will be able to offer

There sure do seem to be lots of Japanese auto-related firms opening up shop within 100 miles of Memphis. Let's see...steering columns in Dyersburg, aluminum engine blocks in Jackson, auto-grade steel (possibly) in Memphis...hmmm. Almost looks like somebody's going to put a car plant around here.

There sure do seem to be lots of Japanese auto-related firms opening up shop within 100 miles of Memphis. Let's see...steering columns in Dyersburg, aluminum engine blocks in Jackson, auto-grade steel (possibly) in Memphis...hmmm. Almost looks like somebody's going to put a car plant around here.

I don't remember well, but I seem to recall something auto related springing up in Northern MS as well. Not to mention all the crap going on in the Marion area.

I, and others I have talked to, have speculated that all the new auto related landings in West Tennessee might be indicative that the industry is seeing West Tennessee as a location that is in the position to land an auto assembly plant; esp. since we have the West Tennesse Auto Park in Crockett County and the new mega-site in Haywood County to accomodate such an operation.

I have to think its going to be sooner rather than later that the West Tennessee Auto Park (ie the Crockett County TVA Mega-Site) lands an assembly plant. Its already on Toyota's short list, and when it was designed it had the imput of two foreign auto manufacturers and one domestic, so even if Toyota doesn't pick it this time around, two other firms were clearly interested in the site. It seems that if 3 firms had imput on the site, one of them will pick it down the line at some point. I hope so at least. :D

Even if we don't ever land an auto assembly plant, hopefully auto firms will still look at West Tennessee as a great location due to the cost of living, wage costs, skill sets, transportation (I-155, I-55, I40, I-69, etc), state incentives, etc to set up operations. That being said, those are all strong reasons why West Tennessee should be able to land an assembly plant. :)

I think Marion maybe next on Toyota's list since they already built a Hino plant next to the megasite. Mazda already has a parts plant near the Olive Branch Airport so they might possibly move into West Tennessee, or Tunica.

Have they resolved the EPA concerns? I heard that was the main stumbling block, and it was a big one. Some indicated that was the reason for Toyota to locate their last plant in Ontario.

Archived