Should Coffee Cup Restaurant be declared Historic?

monsoon

Should Coffee Cup Restaurant be declared Historic?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should Coffee Cup Restaurant be declared Historic?

• No - The Developer should be allowed to develop his property.
    • Yes - Charlotte should preserve this part of its history.
  2. 2. Could the developer change his plans to incorporate the Coffee Cup into the Plan?

• No - it would reduce his profits
    • Yes - there is no reason why this can't happen

If the value of the Coffee Cup is its shear ugliness, as a social equalizer, then let Beazer make its ugly eifs and brick veneer building for it. Cinderblock was the cheap building material at the time, just as those are the cheap materials of our time.

Another option, though, would be to just dismantle the building and rebuild it elsewhere nearby, preferably facing a street where it can help spur foot traffic. It couldn't be that expensive to rebuild (again, it is made of cinderblocks). And some projects nearby (perhaps 3WWD) might enjoy being the project that saved the Coffee Cup.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. Maybe I do want it saved. It is still so hard to decide for me, as it is still about the human story. Stories are best told through writing and images, but there is some validity to the notion that stories are also well told by viewing their locations. It is the whole reason half the globe fights over a mediterranean desert.

Good Article on why it is important for the city to save the Coffee Cup.

Consider this: Charlotte was the first city to have forced busing to create integrated schools. Greensboro is site to, I think it was first, the first sit-in at a diner counter for the civil rights movement. We hold a large part of the history for African Americans getting the rights the deserved, and if we can save one place that was a part of the era maybe it is worth it. I read this article this morning, and though I already had hoped Coffee Cup would be saved, now I see importance over my simple consideration of saving something in our city that is "old"!

You are correct about the sit-in in the Woolworth's cafeteria in downtown Greensboro. I believe it was preserved as a museum.

The supreme court case you mention about busing was "Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenberg Board of Education (1971)". The court decided that race neutral assignment plans that came into being were not fullfilling the intent of the more famous Brown case which said seperate was not equal. The court forced CMS to scatter Black students all over the county through the use of busing, and this precident started court ordered busing throughout the entire USA. It led to many riots including some right here in Charlotte.

Flash forward 30 years. A group of parents in Mecklenburg county successfully sued CMS because of the long bus rides that were now common due to decades of busing. It was not uncommon for bus rides in Mecklenburg to last more than an couple of hours for kids to get to their assigned schools. This was a long bitter fight in the courts and ended where Swann was overturned in a Federal appeals court and the Supreme Ct. refused to hear the case. This effectively ended court ordered busing in the United States and again Charlotte was at the center of this event.

This is one of the reasons that CMS today is so disfunctional. The current board consists of members that fell on both sides of this issue, and one of the board members, Larry Gauvareau is one of the parents that brought the lawsuit that overturned Swain. Members of the board, all of them elected from districts, continue to fight this battle at the exclusion of all else.

Places like the Coffee Cup are where some common ground could be reached over some good food. Another place that broke racial barriers was the very well known (by long timers here) McDonald's Cafeteria which unfortunately is now closed.

Hmm. Maybe I do want it saved. It is still so hard to decide for me, as it is still about the human story. Stories are best told through writing and images, but there is some validity to the notion that stories are also well told by viewing their locations. It is the whole reason half the globe fights over a mediterranean desert.

Very nice analogy dubone, you're really crankin them out lately.

You all know that I am a very progressive, pro-growth type of person. But when it comes down to saving a piece of land that someone views as sentimental, I believe their ideas and views should be heard. I agree with earlier sentiments that if people want it saved, they need to do a little more than complain to the city. If the developer wants to make money rather than lose money, I can understand that completely; I'm sure we all can.

However, given the complexity of the situation, I wonder how feasible it is for the developer to leave the inner portions of the cafe intact and build around it. Because, let's face it, it's really his/her own choice. I can see patrons of the cafe going back decades from now saying to their children and grandchildren "I remember back in the day when this coffee shop used to be the only thing here." By building around it and/or incorporating the current building into the design of a new one, you won't be taking away from anything except the exterior. The culture remains. I believe the city should step in and offer the developer an arrangement such as tax breaks if he develops his land, but keeps the coffee shop open.

Another thing, would this even be up for debate if the coffee shop had gone out of business a few years ago and only the shell remained?

• 1 month later...

Evidently a compromise is being worked out between Beazer and the Coffee Cup. At the October Char-Meck Historical Landmarks meeting Beazar requested that there be a one month delay to designate the Coffee Cup as historical while they work out a compromise. During this time Beazer has committed to not tearing down or removing anything from the Coffee Cup.

I think the Greensboro Woolworth's referenced earlier did become a museum exhibit - I think the interior was displayed at the Smithsonian. Maybe they could rebuild the Coffee Cup interior at the Levine museum. I know its less authentic - but the story could be told to a lot more people (who otherwise wouldn't go there to eat).

It would be nice for Beazer to follow the lead of The Fat City Loft developers and incorporate the restaurant into the site plan. I really think it would be a plus for future residents. The Cup would also add some flavor to Beazer's horribly bland and sterile product. Just go a few blocks down from this site and take a look at Lela Court :sick: I really hope they use some imagination and creativity for this one and preserving The Coffee Cup would be a great move in that direction.

• 2 weeks later...

I am to the point where I don't even want Beazer to develop this land. They are proving to be obnoxious and disinterested in the good of the city. I could potentially support the outcome if they at least tried. But the fact that Conformity, and likely others, are willing to buy that small parcel from them proves that they are completely ignoring the city's values and history.

I'm sure they'll have trouble selling anyway, the air really does wreak around there.

I would rather look out the passing car window and see The Coffee Cup's worn but historic building than the fake urban Levittown crap Beazer passes off for "city living". I hope the CC proprietors continue to hold their ground, it only makes Beazer look even more like an insensitive bully in the press.

beazer really is showing their colors on this one. they have a long history of aiding to sprawl, shoddy craftsmenship, and poor design... i hope this comes back to bite them (of course it won't b/c we grant these idiots immunity). beazer, keep your business in georgia.

What if Beazer were given the option of recladding the building in EIFS and masonite? They really know how to work with those products and might understand the building a little better and it might fit within their "look" much more. Pop out the windows, add some vinyl ones...

Hey, put a front load garage on it for the owners!

I'd be a lot more optimistic about this development if it were almost anyone other than Beazer. I haven't seen a single development they've done that's been quality at all.

How the hell did they get such a prime tract?

I haven't seen the site plan, but I'm guessing it's low density with lots of vinyl siding.

Somebody please tell me I'm wrong.

I agree that Beazer hasn't done the most impressive work but I can only hope they will step it up with a high profile project such as this with a retail element included. I guess I am being optimistic about the area.

Lela Court is looking better than I thought with landscaping in place but the townhomes still look bad. They should of relocated the parking to the back of the townhomes because it looks like an apartment complex. The houses look nicer than I thought.

I have eaten at coffee cup and I am not impressed with the food at all.

Again, it's could be me being insensitive or ignorant of the cultural importance of the restaurant but that's how I feel.

I just noticed this for the first time today - On CMHPF's site they now have a report on the Coffee Cup:

It includes some interesting drawings showing what looks like Beazer's idea for preserving the facade...

coffeebeazer1.jpg

coffeebeazer2.jpg

I guess it's better than demo'ing it completely - it will provide a visually interesting point on the site.

The Historic Landmarks Commission voted this "solution" down. They meet again on November 13th to discuss the issue of designating the Coffee Cup historic. The report you linked does a great job of outlining the building historical significance. Beazer certainly has the right to do what ever they want with that building, but I strongly suspect that despite that fact, they will do what IS right rather than what is within their right.

UPers, if you have a minute to skim back over this topic, I would appreciate it and I am sure Anthony McCarver and Gardine Wilson, the proprietors of The Coffee Cup would as well. If you have strong feelings about The Coffee Cup, please lob a call into your council member. I am working with Anthony and Gardine as we continue to negotiate with Beazer. We are making some headway, but your calls to council will help.... as would calls to Historic Charlotte, Inc. and Charlotte/Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission

Archived