Should Coffee Cup Restaurant be declared Historic?

monsoon

Should Coffee Cup Restaurant be declared Historic?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should Coffee Cup Restaurant be declared Historic?

• No - The Developer should be allowed to develop his property.
    • Yes - Charlotte should preserve this part of its history.
  2. 2. Could the developer change his plans to incorporate the Coffee Cup into the Plan?

• No - it would reduce his profits
    • Yes - there is no reason why this can't happen

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Could be some good news for the Coffee Cup after all. The observer is reporting that Beazer homes is possibly going to let the current owners buy the property and continue to run the restaurant with the new development surrounding it, or to build a new restaurant on land near the current location. They are also withdrawing their opposition to the hsitoric desigination. Article here.

That is great news. Primarily that the business will continue in its same location, but also that the Beazer has decided not to wipe out the small building on a tiny piece of land simply to sterilize it.

I was in ATL recently, and saw a lot of Beazer's urban townhouses near the IKEA. While something like that would be quite a boost for Charlotte if the area around Coffee Cup were filled with similar structures. But it did have the feeling of monotony, so hopefully steps to keep Coffee Cup standing will prevent a similar effect here.

I'm curious, Conformity, are you part of this new deal?

Dubone:

Our primary goal in presenting a plan was to flush out Beazer and get them talking. I attended both of the recent HDC meetings. At the earlier of the two, Conformity was instrumental in stopping the bus stop solution and the next day we heard from Beazer.

Since then, there have been several meetings. I cannot go into detail, but we continue to attend every meeting and a number of ideas have been exchanged.

Our combined efforts resulted in a unanimous vote by HDC Monday night to recommend the Cup for designation and 180 day stay of demolition. Hopefully during this time we can arrive at some ideas that work for all involved.

It was great seeing Beazer's representative sandwiched in between Gardine and Anthony, the proprietors, doing news interviews after the designation Monday night....a perfect moment....a Coffee Cup moment if you will.

I believe that Beazer will try to accommodate the Cup....although not all of their ideas include saving the building which is problematic.

The ultimate solution may include us. It may not. I am fine with it either way. Communication. Designation. Steps 1 and 2...we'll see what happens next.

Thanks Conformity. I think your proposal helped open minds that there are true options. Most of the time, Charlotteans (including me) assume that the developers already did everything they could and simply couldn't make it viable. When developers present a counter proposal, it really makes us realize that something could be done if just for trying.

• 4 months later...

The Coffee Cup has officially been declared historic. Story here. At least this protects the place from being torn down, but hopefully Beazer will work to incorporate it well with its development and not just surround it with vinyl and EIFS. But you know what they say about what happens when you hope in one hand...

The Coffee Cup has officially been declared historic. Story here. At least this protects the place from being torn down, but hopefully Beazer will work to incorporate it well with its development and not just surround it with vinyl and EIFS. But you know what they say about what happens when you hope in one hand...

I have a natural hatred towards Beazer and I highly doubt they will care too much about this. The story that recently appeared in the paper just exacerbates my hatred towards the cheap builder.

Given Beazer's reputation, and the recent news about their lending and construction practices, I am very weary of any building they build on the site, whether or not it incorporates the restaurant.

That said, given the information that has surfaced in the past and the resent week, why is Beazer still allowed to develop in Mecklenburg County and issue mortgages in the state of NC? Not to sound too small-town movie cliche, but shouldn't they be run out of town by a mob with pitchforks and torches?

Because the building side of the company builds everything to acceptable code, no matter how lax it may be, and because the lending side of the company doesn't do anything that every independent mortgage broker doesn't already do (play with incomes, underreport debt, etc.)

I've read the stories with mixed feelings. I hate Beezer, and all that they stand for, but its hard for me to feel sorry for the people who are buying. The mentality of buying the biggest POS that their salaries can afford (or can't afford) is what is ruining the Charlotte region. They feel the American dream entitles them to own a home, and Beezer has been all to willing to exploit this mentality. Both Beezer and these marginally qualified buyers are creating the next wave of ghettos, and it's coming at the expense of large tracts of otherwise pristine land. It really makes me sick.

Back on topic to the Coffee Cup. Beezer will be building a much pricier product in this location. Even so, I'm doubtful that their will be a harmonious blend between new and old, and fear the the Coffee Cup will be lost in the sea of forgettable structures. What happens if it becomes too difficult to park for the CC? The project won't have the density to support the CC with foot traffic, and if its too hard for people to park there, the long time patrons will disappear, and all of this preservation will have been for nothing.

Archived