YMCA vs MVP Metro Club

twoshort

Which one would you choose? The Peninsular Club is running a special where you get membership to their club as well as the MVP Metro Club for the same price as a family membership to the Y. I hear parking can be a pain at the Y and it's constantly busy. Does anyone have any opinion?

/not affilitated w/ either, just looking for insight

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go to the Y, and I love it! I constantly hear people complain about the parking, but the dash lots across the street are available for Y members to park in, and those are always near empty (especially after 5 pm and on weekends). Funny, people are going to the Gym, but they don't seem to want to walk across the street. Also, I've never had to park in the Dash lots; there has always been a space in the Y lot, even when it's super busy.

Even when it's busy at the Y, I've never waited for more than a minute or two for a machine, and it's very rare to have to wait at all. The staff is really helpful, and there are a lot of locations to choose from (downtown being my favorite and the one I frequent the most). Also, the classes that they offer (which are free to members) are fun, and they have a ton to choose from. They also offer classes (that you pay for) for things like piano, guitar and dance.

I've been impressed with the facility so far, the pools are great, especially with the waterslide. And the locker rooms are nice and always very clean, aside from the problems they had with the showers this spring, but that's all been fixed.

Overall, I've been very pleased with the Y, I recommend making a visit there, and they

I had a free membership to the Y last summer and, being the dutchy I am, had to go there. I went to the West Leonard Y (can you say "crap hole?") until the DT location opened. My favorite part of the Y is the track around the upper level, with views that go all the way around. I have never had a problem with parking, as I would always take the bus. :-)

however, my girlfriend, who is a member of MVP, took me with a free day pass to the E. Paris location, and I have to say, I was very impressed with the building. It wasn't nearly as big, but it was very very nice, not to mention it had a cool outdoor pool. The indoor pool at the Y is pretty cool, too, but not as much as the MVP's.

I once belonged to the Penn Club. It was cool but back then before it merged with MVP they had a requirement to spend about $600 per year on food & beverage. That may no longer apply since merging with MVP...true?

I was never too motivated to go there because it was dark and lonely, seldom saw other people there.

I worked out at the new YMCA for a few months last winter and loved it! The panoramic view from the track is awesome. I enjoy the people who use the Y as well.

A very important aspect of mine for using a club is the location!! In my opinion, it is stupid to get in a car and drive for 15 minutes to a club to work out. I live downtown, so the only clubs I would consider are the ones downtown.

I can ride my bike to the YMCA in about 5 minutes...that is bliss.

I'm at the "Y" partly because I like the social service good cause aspect, and partly because I play that catchy jingle at every square dance party.

Locker room is nice. My favorite elliptical is the arming one facing west, and the ones by the courts come with free entertainment. As someone mentioned, the track view is great. Have yet to set fin in the pool.

I'm not crazy about all the C-word aspects (and what's with the awful music blasting in a few places on the third floor? I would rather hear contemporary praise than that dreck). Lots and lots of familes. Lots of little kids. The "village" needs to train said little kids about proper manners while climbing stairs (I've been almost run over during prime time) and where it is/not appropriate to bounce a basketball. The snack bar is a nice touch.

There's a sports therapist in the building and they are open late one evening a week. I believe there's also massage therapy.

The nice new building suffers from architecturalization, e.g. the cracks/tiles someone else mentioned. By that I mean incredibly WOW looks but impractical applications. (Like the membership sign-up desk, where the staff is seated and you;re standing, no chairs to use while you fill out their forms, lots of noisy hard surfaces nearby so you can;t hear what they say.)

As a cyclist, I prefer to use bike racks that are well lit and located in front of windows. Looks like the building layout person has never tried lining up the numbers on a lock after dark.

Sometimes it seems like someone just isn't thinking. Last winter there was a promotion that had helium balloons tied all along the bannister of the big staircase. Well, excuse me, what if I want to use that hand rail for its intended purpose? I brought this up and the balloons immediately vanished.

Other than that...they realize that the building is very popular and are always tweaking things. More machines, longer hours coming. And it's DT. I belonged to a Contours Express in Kentwood, and frankly it was a pain to get there. Would rather go DT and work out and try to stay until 10 pm so that Four Friends' dulce de leche gelato shuts the hell up.

HTH

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.penclub.net/opportunities.html

I'd like to hear from anyone who goes to the downtown MVP club... is it any good? Too small?

You might need letters of recomendation to join the Peninsular club as well.

I belong to the Pen Club and MVP Metro Club. You can join the health club without joining the Pen Club.

It is a fantastic facility and lightly used. I've never been there when there was more than 5 or 10 other people around. I have never had to wait for any piece of equipment. On weekends you may even find yourself alone and free to use any equipment at will. The equipment is state-of-the-art. There are private trainers if you'd like.

I think they offer a try-it-before-you-buy-it session or two.

On-street parking is free after 5 PM.

I have no idea how the cost compares with the YMCA because mny membership is blended into my Pen Club dues.

http://www.mvpsportsclubs.com/mvpmetro/

I belong to the Pen Club and MVP Metro Club. You can join the health club without joining the Pen Club.

It is a fantastic facility and lightly used. I've never been there when there was more than 5 or 10 other people around. I have never had to wait for any piece of equipment. On weekends you may even find yourself alone and free to use any equipment at will. The equipment is state-of-the-art. There are private trainers if you'd like.

I think they offer a try-it-before-you-buy-it session or two.

On-street parking is free after 5 PM.

I have no idea how the cost compares with the YMCA because mny membership is blended into my Pen Club dues.

http://www.mvpsportsclubs.com/mvpmetro/

YMCA - $150 initiation (Special until Oct. $75) - Monthly charge is $60 pp / $90 family, you get to use all YMCA's

MVP - $200 Associate member (Special until Oct. $50) / Addition intiation for each addition person - Monthly charge is something like $76 for first person / $45 for second person. This is use of ONLY 1 facility, to get the duel benefit there is another $30-40 per person.

Needless to say, my numbers might not be exact for MVP.....because I was in shock or didn't care once I started hearing this cost. :rofl: Location is critical for anyone...you don't want to drive 20 minutes each way...you will have no work out motivation. As for downtown living....you can't beat the YMCA. That facility is FAR better than the downtown MVP especially when compared to cost.

MVP - $200 Associate member (Special until Oct. $50) / Addition intiation for each addition person - Monthly charge is something like $76 for first person / $45 for second person. This is use of ONLY 1 facility, to get the duel benefit there is another $30-40 per person.

If you're under 35 you can join the Peninsular Club and MVP Metro for $100 initiation and $90/month for the whole family. A membership in the Pen Club includes reciprocal membership in hundreds of clubs around the world.

... just sayin.

Is there a yearly minimum for food/beverage at the pen club? Any other costs above your initiation and monthly dues? Do they require letters of recomendation?

If you're under 35 you can join the Peninsular Club and MVP Metro for $100 initiation and $90/month for the whole family. A membership in the Pen Club includes reciprocal membership in hundreds of clubs around the world. There may be added costs though, hopefully Civitas can answer that.

... just sayin.

Interesting....I was there a few days ago with my wife, we are well under $35. Wonder why this was not 'sold' to us. The downtown MVP did not seem 'kid' friendly either. We don't have kids, so not a problem for me. Could be wrong here but, I have worked out and been part of various gyms since my college days. 8+ years. When there is no one in a gym at 5:30 on a Tuesday night, that's an indication of something not right.

I will say their equipment is decent. I think TechnoGym is very overrated. I have used that equipment at the Sportsplex in Grandville (now the YMCA, of which I was part of both) before going to Powerhouse gyms. It's not the best weight/cardio equipment as it's touted by MVP. Cyberplex is smoother and better motion equiment for muscles, you just don't get the fancy electronics to keep track of your workout. BTW, that will become more of a pain than just bringing a pad/pencil and writing it down yourself.

Sorry, digressed into the gym comparison. If the numbers you mentioned are true, then it's a bit of a different story, but I am surprised this was not mentioned just a few days ago. That combination as you stated, is less than the MVP membership I was quoted, and it adds the Pennislar Club. I am curious though, you give me these numbers, but ask questions about food/beverage? Who quoted you this price? I went into MVP downtown, not the Pennisular Club.

They sure need the memberships....did I mention how there was 1 person working out at 5:30 on a Tuesday.

Which one would you choose? The Peninsular Club is running a special where you get membership to their club as well as the MVP Metro Club for the same price as a family membership to the Y. I hear parking can be a pain at the Y and it's constantly busy. Does anyone have any opinion?

/not affilitated w/ either, just looking for insight

Going to this question too. The YMCA has a parking lot. I don't think, could be wrong, but a pennisular/mvp probably doesn't include the parking structure. If that is the case, you will have to FIND parking on the street downtown. But hey, there wasn't much activity in the gym fighting for those parking spots. So you will only be competeing with the downtown businesses.

twoshort....I am just typing fast, so don't read any negativity into my posts. I have belonged to gyms for a long time. If you are close to the downtown, the YMCA's facility is better in my experienced opinion. It is somewhat backed up by the number of members too. I am only trying to give you the perspectives.

MVP = exclusive / professional / (not political term here) snobby membership,

few people / lightly used equipment / quiet / etc.

I like people to talk to, motivate, build freindships...that is how I know everyone of my friends in GR, since moving here and knowing no one. It was at the gym.

YMCA = Family oriented / community / sometime too many kids or people

you find the times you like to get to the gym, and they do have ADULT only locker rooms at the dt YMCA. That was the final plus for me. The grandville YMCA, I had money stolen out of my locker...my fault not locked up. Can't assume a kid did it, but my guess would be that. Not to mention, kids don't need to see naked 80 year old guys. (they always like to be so naked in the locker room too! :sick: )

For women, don't forget Curves. They have one right downtown at the corner of Ottawa and Monroe Mall and it's $29/mo. Of course, it doesn't have all the amenities of a major fitness place, but the machines are good, and I have seen excellent results. Another downside: the hours are limited. I'm still trying to work it into my new schedule (i.e., now working all the way out in BFE vs. smack downtown, when I could walk to Curves on my way home from work).

:angry:

No question that the YMCA is probably a better facility, bigger, free parking, etc. But if you want to be a member of the pen club too.. it's a good deal.

Only one person at MVP on Tuesday night...that was probably me. For the extra few bucks a month I have the place almost all to myself. It is fantastic! No waits for anything, the trainers know me personally, free parking after 5 PM. The YMCA, on the other hand is very crowded.

If you have a family the Y may be better, but if you're looking for a high-end club with very personal attention and the potential to network with the who-s-who in town, join MVP.

Only one person at MVP on Tuesday night...that was probably me. For the extra few bucks a month I have the place almost all to myself. It is fantastic! No waits for anything, the trainers know me personally, free parking after 5 PM. The YMCA, on the other hand is very crowded.

If you have a family the Y may be better, but if you're looking for a high-end club with very personal attention and the potential to network with the who-s-who in town, join MVP.

You're also a member at the Penn correct? Just curious as to what "value" that brings, what's it all about. What do you guys do :ph34r: ? Drink Scotch and smoke Imported Cuban Cigars?

You're also a member at the Penn correct? Just curious as to what "value" that brings, what's it all about. What do you guys do :ph34r: ? Drink Scotch and smoke Imported Cuban Cigars?

From the sounds of it, its main function is for 'networking' and impressing clients. I'm sure there's a lot of scotch sipping as well. :)

Secret handshakes, code books, no girls allowed...oops, I almost forgot, they changed that one :P .

There was a time when old fat bankers swam naked in the men's only pool and smoked cigars in the lounge on the 2nd floor and there really were, no girls allowed, and I assume it was racially pretty monotone also. But those times have been gone for a long time and today the Pen Club is mostly a very exclusive private club that offers food, social activities, reciprocal privileges with other private clubs around the world, etc. Mostly it is an exclusive place to network and entertain.

The membership is not terribly economically diverse. You have achieved some level of financial success to afford the dues. There are old members, but at lunch you'll mostly see parties in their 40's and 50's with some younger and some older. Mostly business men, but more and more business women are joining too. My wife doesn't work, but I'll often see her there for lunch with a lady friend.

Today at 4 PM I'm meeting a friend for an informal drink in the lounge. At 5 PM I'm meeting my son at MVP to work off the drink. Very convenient.

A few years ago my wife was taking a weight lifting class. She was early one day and had never seen the Pen Club pool. She peaked in the window on the door and was shocked at the sight of an old fat banker who apparantly hadn't seen the memo about girls being allowed. Buck naked doing the back stroke. She has never looked in that window again.

A few years ago my wife was taking a weight lifting class. She was early one day and had never seen the Pen Club pool. She peaked in the window on the door and was shocked at the sight of an old fat banker who apparantly hadn't seen the memo about girls being allowed. Buck naked doing the back stroke. She has never looked in that window again.

The membership people at MVP are having a stroke right now with that little tidbit of information made public civitas. :sick: I've eaten lunch there. Very nice!

The membership people at MVP are having a stroke right now with that little tidbit of information made public civitas. :sick: I've eaten lunch there. Very nice!

That was before MVP took over the health club :D . They would never allow such a mistake.

The Pen Club has a new chef. The food is very good.

They have a small shuttle van. You can leave your car with the valets, have dinner before a concert, take the shuttle to the concert, get picked up by the shuttle after the concert and be driven back to your car which has been already warmed up by valets who remember you by name.

That was before MVP took over the health club :D . They would never allow such a mistake.

The Pen Club has a new chef. The food is very good.

They have a small shuttle van. You can leave your car with the valets, have dinner before a concert, take the shuttle to the concert, get picked up by the shuttle after the concert and be driven back to your car which has been already warmed up by valets who remember you by name.

How would you rate the food and drink?.. like what restaurant d/t could you compare the atmosphere/style to?

I find it very interesting, probably be fun to join if I didn't work way out in Holland. I love the social networking circles like the GRYP and such.

Archived