118 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we like for Governor II?

• Jennifer Granholm
    • Dick DeVos
    • Other

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, since I'll follow the poles, I'll post the most recent one done by EPIC/MRA that was released today (August 23,2006):

Granholm, Stabenow open leads

Updated: Aug 23, 2006 05:59 PM EDT

GRAND RAPIDS -- A statewide poll conducted on Monday and Tuesday of 600 Michigan voters shows Governor Jennifer Granholm and Senator Debbie Stabenow opening larger leads over their Republican challengers.

The EPIC-MRA poll, conducted for 24 Hour News 8 and our media partners, revealed a seven-point lead for Granholm over her Republican challenger Dick Devos. Granholm is supported by 49%, DeVos 42% and Libertarian Greg Creswell 3%.

http://www.woodtv.com/global/story.asp?s=5317775

All right, who wants to take bets as to who civitas is supporting for governor? I guess Granholm! :rofl:

For the record, I'm still voting for Devos.

I'm not sure why, but I've never told anybody this...

In the mid 1980's I borrowed a car from a certain Holland car dealership that I was doing some work for. I was pleased and surprised that I was allowed to drive a fairly new Cadillac that had recently been turned in from a lease. In checking out all the goodies on the car I found a private phone book in the console. It belonged to Dick DeVos. I left it in the car, but I did peak in it and was stunned at the names and private phone numbers. That phone book was full of the most famous, wealthy, influential and respected people that you could imagine. Who else, for instance, had Walter Cronkite's private phone number in 1980? I assumed they went sailing together or something.

You can feel whatever you want about business and rich people, but the only chance that any governor has to make a difference is based in the ability to form meaningful alliances. Had Dick DeVos gone to Japan he would have called the president of Honda. I wouldn't be surprised that he already has his cell phone number. I can't imagine the names in his phone book today. He is connected to people who can make a difference in this state.

Dick doesn't need this job. He really believes he can make a difference for Michigan and I think we should give him the chance.

So I'll vote for the hometown boy for gov.

Me and the new buddies hung out at this bar on Gulf Rd in Schaumburg and I asked them and snapt this photo from my camera phone

Rizzo, ya gonna vote absentee, or return from Scumbag to cast your ballot?

(bring your illicit ten-centers..."gee, my GF bought them, I don't keep track")

I'll be voting for Granholm. Dick Devos himself I can stomach, it's his wife I don't care for. If he gets in, she'll obvioulsy have some power and that does not sit well with me.

I think everyone, even if they would not be voting fro DeVos, can be thankful for all his family has done for Grand Rapids. Still...I don't necessarily believe that being successful in the private sector means one will be successful in the public sector.

Granholm for me. She is not to blame for Ford and GM's catastrophic downturns. She is not to blame for the outsourcing of manufacturing jobs to China and Mexico. She is not to blame for the subsequent loss of jobs that Ford, GM and outsourcing have caused in the state and to be honest, nobody will turn around the loss of manufacturing jobs.

We've mentioned in other threads that college-educated citizens of Metro-GR have a 2% unemployment rate.

That tells me that the building blocks are already in place for a re-bound. We still have 10s of 1,000s of un-educated factory workers who are going to lose their jobs. It sucks. Big time. But you cannot blame the governor (or the president) for a changing economy. It's going to happen and there's not a damn thing we can do about it.

I should add, DeVos seems like a good enough guy, and I cannot muster the dislike for him that comes so easily for GWB (who I cannot stand), but I don't think being an heir to a family fortune, and the former CEO of a company you didn't build makes you leadership material. I'll say this, I'm very impressed with DeVos' involvement in the Grand Action committee. He really does get some of the credit for helping turn around downtown (though less credit than he gives himself....hey, it's politics).

I should add, DeVos seems like a good enough guy, and I cannot muster the dislike for him that comes so easily for GWB (who I cannot stand), but I don't think being an heir to a family fortune, and the former CEO of a company you didn't build makes you leadership material. I'll say this, I'm very impressed with DeVos' involvement in the Grand Action committee. He really does get some of the credit for helping turn around downtown (though less credit than he gives himself....hey, it's politics).

I am not sure if you heard about it yet, but DeVos publicly criticized the President for not being willing to meet with GM and Ford to discuss auto manufacturing issues.

To me, that sounds like he is more caught up in doing the right thing than political lines

It's Devos' overt religiosity that has always turned my stomach. Just my opinion--now sit down and stop hyperventilating!

Here, here!

Go Granholm!!

I don't want our state to be the world's largest MLM firm.

And don't even get me started about Betsy DeVos.

Jen's cool with me.

With all due respect, Swiping at Devos because he has too much money, runs a business, is actually religious, and other assorted childish comments have not shown Granholm supporters to be very mature in their reasons to vote FOR her.

We have a state with one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation, and more people everyday losing their jobs, and the state is losing people. This is a serious issue for a lot of us. My mother's job is already gone and my dad is lucky enough to be near retirement so he may be ok there.

Both are union people, Straight-line Democrats. They are not happy with the current Governor. This isnt propaganda. And if the Governor loses people like my parents, then she is in real trouble. They dont care about a persons religion or if they made money, they are looking out for their personal well-being. If you can give people like them a reason beyond "Granholm isn

Archived