Who do we like for Governor?

GaryP

Who do we like for Governor II?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we like for Governor II?

• Jennifer Granholm
    • Dick DeVos
    • Other

Discussing the importance of education and misspelling the Governor's name at the same time?

The irony of this is too juicy to ignore.

You're right, even though I think that she is doing a lousy job, I should have been more careful to spell it Granholm without a

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

INVESTING in a communist country is anti-American.

omg, dont start that anti-american jargon...... if we dont invest in other countries (not in their gov't. but in sales in that country) then other countries will and we will lose our edge on the rest of the world, and when our businesses go under then will you still say anti-american???

omg, dont start that anti-american jargon...... if we dont invest in other countries (not in their gov't. but in sales in that country) then other countries will and we will lose our edge on the rest of the world, and when our businesses go under then will you still say anti-american???

oh wait you were being sarcastic :blush: sry i should finish reading b4 i blow my lid...... :(

Investing in sales in a country IS investing in that country . . . .

Just to make sure we're all being consistent and "American", we're all going to stop using Google to do searches, since they are not only doing business in China, but they also let the Chinese government intrude on what Google can have as content: http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/060125-072617

I think the whole "Amway investing in China" argument is a weak one by the Democrats.

I voted for Devos though I don't live in Michigan. ;)

Hey, but some of the politicians tell us that anyone can vote right? So by virtue of formerly living in the state, can't I vote?!

I base my vote on what I hear from my relatives up in the Great Lakes state, and from Granholm's apparent ineffectiveness.

I am still waiting to hear more good points about Granholm.

Seriously, if she is so great, why is the state in the position (economically, educationally, and more) which is way behind the rest of the US?

What good things has the GOP controlled congress proposed for the state that makes you think they'd do a better in the Governor's office?

Why blame just the Governor when the state congress has been obstructionist, and partisan? The Governor needs a congress to work with him/her, and that hasn't been happening. If there has been one person who has brought common sense logic into government its been the Governor.

The congress has proposed all these ideas like eliminating certain taxes, and other revenue programs, and not willing to counteract these revenue losses with budget cuts. The state constitution REQUIRES a blanced budget, and the GOP congress so far hasn't shown me that they would be willing to do that. If Devos's plans were totally implemented, the state would be at a large deficit, and the state courts would probably have to step in, and control the congress.

Nothing in Devos's "Turn Around Plan" makes any logical sense given the current state laws. Unless Devos can convince voters to reverse course and eliminate the balanced budget clause in the state constitution, nothing he proposes could work.

When diagnosing government flaws, you need to begin with the foundation, and work up. Unless the congress is willing to work with the Governor, there isn't much a Governor can do, except get benign do-nothing laws passed.

What good things has the GOP controlled congress proposed for the state that makes you think they'd do a better in the Governor's office?

Current Republican Legislature has:

Established enabling legislation that allows cities to use From-Based Codes and New Urbanism tools to revitalize communities.

Redirected funds to open them up for public transportation including light rail and bus.

Attempted to increase funding for schools in the budget. (Vetoed by the current governor)

And many more that have been blocked or Vetoed by the governor.

DeVos would:

Eliminate the single business tax making it easier for entrepreneurs to stay in business. This is also where most of the people in the state are employed.

Reform health care and insurance in Michigan and improve support for new healthcare technologies, while lowering the cost for those who need it most (Children, Elderly, Impoverished)

Increase funding for education, especially to lower income area while encouraging the teaching of high tech skills such as computers, and encourage recent HS and College graduates to stay in Michigan by improving funding for job creation. (Right now we are close to last in terms of funding for education... which is a STATE function and not a federal one)

Support funding and state tax breaks on technology that will protect the environment such as alternative energy, public transportation, and recycling programs.

Support incentives for businesses to locate within older urban cores to help revitalize city centers.

Support and encourage improved communication with businesses and various government sectors. (He recently showed this by criticizing the White House when they refused to meet with the Auto Makers)

***Oh and they announced that the Michigan Median Income has dropped and is below the national average.

So why is it that no one will answer my question as to what good thing has Granholm done for Michigan?

...So why is it that no one will answer my question as to what good thing has Granholm done for Michigan?

Perhaps because we Dems don't care to keep beating our heads against a brick wall; it's not like you (singular) are going to change your individual mind.

For the truly undecideds, you (all) could look it up:

http://www.granholmforgov.com/site/PageSer...gename=ftr_main

Perhaps because we Dems don't care to keep beating our heads against a brick wall; it's not like you (singular) are going to change your individual mind.

For the truly undecideds, you (all) could look it up:

http://www.granholmforgov.com/site/PageSer...gename=ftr_main

Let's look at the list...

Growing our Economy :rofl: ... Michigan as lost more jobs since she has been Governor than any other state in the US, and today it was announced that the median family income has decreased and is below the national average. The economy has failed since she has been Governor

Affordable Health Care...

Realistically, how has she helped this? With the increasing number of people loosing their job, they loose their insurance and health care. :huh:

Protecting Our Families and Children

She has decreased the number of police officers and drug use (meth) is running ramipd in rural areas. :angry:

Education

State Universities have raised their tuition rates to record levels because funding has decreased. Additionally, more and more K-12 school districts have had to ask people to retire early, established hiring freezes, and the condition of our inner city schools are so bad that many are on the verge of being hazardous. :cry:

Environment.

Ok, I will giver her that one... I like our water to say here.

For those of you who are undecided... check out both websites on both sides and truly look at the conditions across the state. http://www.devosforgovernor.com/

I am not saying that all Democrats are bad and would do a bad job. I am saying that I don

Look, michaelskis, we all know by now who you will vote for.

Good for you!

Keeping in mind what DeVos SAYS he will do in order to get the job is

different than what he actually WILL do, I read your list cynically.

Dick is not very bright. It has been brought to my attention that employees

of Amway/Alticor had great fun laughing at him behind his back. He is

a lightweight. He is a rich kid who thinks money is power. And it is.

But I prefer brains.

Here is what you have to understand: the very rich HAVE TO SPEND

THE MONEY!!!!! OR they can pay it out in taxes

(or maybe not, since they have a VERY good friend in the White House.)

They aren't spending their hard earned lunch money around town,

they are spending all the interest - IT HAS TO GO!!! So why NOT invest

in the city and make themselves look good in the process? And who

doesn't appreciate it? We all do - but give me a break - it's about good

business, the tax man, the accountant, ambition, and conceit that drives

that giving, not getting us all excited.

Also keep in mind, there are other very wealthy people in GR who

give and give and give and DON'T allow their name on a building,

or a school, or a room. This happens to be the particular obsession

of the DeVos and VanAndel families (to the amusement of the others)

It may be hard to understand that kind of wealth, but putting out

millions doesn't even BEGIN to touch the wealth that they have, so stop

being overly impressed with it.

Dick DeVos is running because his "let them eat cake" wife is unelectable.

Since she inserted foot in mouth a couple of years ago, she has to sit

tight before she can go with her ambitions again. So we have Junior.

The economy in Michigan sucks right now. ALL THE MONEY IN THIS

COUNTRY HAS BEEN HIJACKED BY THIS ADMINISTRATION and I will not

support ANY republican/conservative/right wing fundamentalist hack

who supported this idiot president in his crusade of democracy through

the barrel of a gun at the expense of the rest of the country.

Michigan is a state. I don't want Michigan to turn into a corporation.

That, my friend, is facism, and that is where this entire country is

headed. Do yourself a favor and crack open some history books and

read the constitution. I'm voting for Jennifer Granholm because she

supports the Constitution of the United States. I will not vote for

a man who supports through his political ties a party who is driving

this country to facism. (Look up the word, GWB uses it incorrectly.)

Jennifer Granholm is smart. She's fighting a powerful machine. She has

little support with the legislature. Wait for the debates. If you adhere to

the folksy style (read - stoopid) of GWB, then you're in for a treat.

If you don't want a WOMAN who has brains, compassion, fairness,

and balance, then you've got your guy! Be happy with your choice

and know you are not going to change anyone's mind with your

cheerleading.

Now here's where I'm supposed to apologize for the rant or insert a

little smilie, but I refuse - I've listened to all of you Dick supporters

long enough. (pun intended)

Have a nice day.

Michaelskis, a recent study has conclude that Grand Rapids ranks 1 American for being the most affordable for family health insurance. The study also ranks GR second for Children's health insurance. That's probably why I don't have insurance, because I can pay out of pocket. :lol:

http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/content/Re...CitiesFinal.pdf

Sorry if someone's already posted this. I've just skimmed through the thread.

I'm hearing a lot of comments about how Devos isn't a good businessman (as if they've run a global company and would know) because he laid off workers while at the helm.

When did laying off workers = bad business leader?

Rather than running the company into the ground he, by many accounts of people who are actually inside the company, saved it. Sure he had to make a tough decision to lay off 1300 people but in the process saved the paychecks for 13 THOUSAND people.

DeVos took the helm of Amway at a very tough time. Sales were down. The business was based on an antiquated catalogue based, inefficient model. At the core was basic home care products and a catologue that contained some name brand electronics, clothing, etc.

Mr. DeVos had the vision to understand that if this company was going to last for another 50 years and continue to pay the thousands of employees and hundreds of thousands of distributors, some drastic changes had to be made.

This is where a strong, vissionary business leader shines.

Along with Mr. Van Andel they took the company international and enetered some of the largest markets in the world. Even more vissionary was the creation of a completely new business model using the internet. This at a time when the internet bubble was bursting and everyone thought that he was crazy for believing people would really adopt online shopping.

In 9 months he partnered with 100's of the largest and most successful companies in the world and created one of the most profitable internet shopping portals in the world at Quixtar.

He created a division to handle shipping and logistics for Quixtar as well as other companies at Access Business Group.

I may not be the smartest guy in the world but to me that sounds like a successful businessman, a strong leader, a vissionary, and someone I'd like to see turn around our troubled state.

Archived