GaryP

Who do we like for Governor II?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we like for Governor II?

• Jennifer Granholm
    • Dick DeVos
    • Other

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006608300319

Michigan's median income has fell more then any other state over the past six years. I realize part of this fell within Engler's term. However, Granholm's spokesman kinda of dodges the issues that the Governor is party responsible for one of the worst economies in the country

I wonder why they chose 6 years as the timeframe, making 1999 the starting point. It so happens that median household income peaked in 1999. In my opinion, they chose 1999 solely so that they could make a story out of it (i.e. worse drop in the nation), rendering the story worthless. For example, they could just as well have chosen 2002, the last year of Engler's term, as the starting point. If they had done that, there would be no story.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this back and fourth between you all is probably why there is so many undecided voters... MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE THEY'RE SICK OF THIS CRAP.

RIGHTO RIZZO :thumbsup:

Here's my reasons for my indecision

1. Devos has YET to tell me why he WANTS to be our gov. $10mm spend on telling us that Michigan needs to "giddy up" and we need some positive change, well dude - here's your sign, HELLO we ALL know that already. Convince me you want to be Gov and why you would be a good one. I have memories of the multiple DOLE Presidential campaigns where there was never any passion on why he wanted the actual job. Mr. Devos - WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE GOVERNOR?????

2. Granholm - Toyota going to Indiana really ticked me off. I don't buy for a second that she even had her head in the game. I bet a conversation from Gettlefinger to her went something like this...Jennifer, excuse me, I think we must have a bad connection, you wanted to propose a economic package to who? Um, no I don't think so, thanks for checking in. Also, I moved to Michigan in 2000 and was very impressed with her executive approach in tackling some tough budget issues. But after a few years the response of I'm dealing with a previous administation's problems began and still does bug me. Why? You CAMPAIGNED for the job and got it. In business, the minute you accept the title on the card and the corner office - you own the problem.

That's now my $.04 of being an undecided voter. And I DO vote. I have never missed my responsibility!

2. Granholm - Toyota going to Indiana really ticked me off. I don't buy for a second that she even had her head in the game. I bet a conversation from Gettlefinger to her went something like this...Jennifer, excuse me, I think we must have a bad connection, you wanted to propose a economic package to who? Um, no I don't think so, thanks for checking in. Also, I moved to Michigan in 2000 and was very impressed with her executive approach in tackling some tough budget issues. But after a few years the response of I'm dealing with a previous administation's problems began and still does bug me. Why? You CAMPAIGNED for the job and got it. In business, the minute you accept the title on the card and the corner office - you own the problem.

That's now my $.04 of being an undecided voter. And I DO vote. I have never missed my responsibility!

G4G response to Honda allegations:

https://secure2.convio.net/gfg/site/Advocac...tion&id=127

Indy Press piece on what the people of Greensburg did:

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/fortwayne/14928789.htm

And while I have two windows open, an excerpt from her speech last week:

"Because of working our plan, because of our action, let me give you specific examples of companies that we have brought here or are growing here examples from A to Z.

American Axle in Detroit and Avon Automotive in Cadillac; Bosch in Plymouth and BioPort in Lansing; Cleveland Cliffs in Marquette and Carbone in Essexville; Denso in Battle Creek and Daimler Chrysler in Dundee; E-prize in Oak Park or Emerald Graphics in Cascade; Faurecia in Madison Heights or Ford in Dearborn; Google in Ann Arbor or GM in Detroit; Haworth in Holland or Hemlock Semi-conductor in Hemlock; ISS in Ypsilanti or Infineon in Livonia; JTETK in Plymouth or JATCO in Wixom; Kellogg in Wyoming or Konica in Grand Rapids; Lacks in Kentwood or Livonia Tool in Litchfield; Martinrea in Manchestor or Maiden in Novi; Nippon in Grand Haven or Nissan in Farmington Hills; Otsego Paper in Otsego or Oleco in Spring Lake; Quicken in Livonia and Quantum Signal in Ann Arbor; RLP in Farmington Hills and Raymond James in Southfield; Second Chance in Central Lake or Smurfit Stone in Ontonagon; Toyota in York Township or Tellurex in Traverse City; Unisolar in Greenville or U.S. Farathane in Sterling Heights; Visteon in Van Buren or Vision in Flint; Whirlpool in Benton Harbor or Warrior Lacrosse in Warren; Xoran in Ann Arbor or X-Rite in Kentwood; Yazaki in Canton and Yale Lift-Tech in Muskegon; ZF Lemforder in Lapeer and ZuSyn in Kalamazoo!"

Wondering - is anyone (who has been posting regularly in this thread) currently volunteering or working for the candidate of their choice or planning to in the near future?

Me me me meeee!

My yard sign (saved from '02) has been on display since July 4. My name is in several Rolodexi over on Cherry Street (they needed a better PA system for the grand opening; I have one). The US flag holiday lights hanging up are a donation from moi.

And assuming I can dig my G4G T-shirt out of whatever location I moved it to, I will be wearing it tomorrow during this volunteer op:

Monday, Sept. 4, 2006

9:00 am -- arrive at John Ball park where a shuttle bus will transport you to the parade staging area

10:00 am -- parade starts and ends at John Ball Park

If you can walk in the parade with a Granholm t-shirt contact Joan Bowman at 517-230-8111 or [email protected] for all the details. I will have t-shirts if you need one. Thanks everyone!

There's another volunteerist project I recently completed but it is still in my camera.

...my assessment of Dick Devos: I don't like him.

and localtalent, I missed the "dick" comment, or didn't catch the same meaning you did.

"Now here's where I'm supposed to apologize for the rant or insert a little smilie, but I refuse - I've listened to all of you Dick supporters long enough. (pun intended)"

GRDadof3, I suspect that the intended meaning would have been much more offensive if you liked Dick as much as I do (and if you just chuckled at the way that was worded you have proved my point).

The comment was personally offensive and beyond the bounds of a civil political debate.

"Now here's where I'm supposed to apologize for the rant or insert a little smilie, but I refuse - I've listened to all of you Dick supporters long enough. (pun intended)"

GRDadof3, I suspect that the intended meaning would have been much more offensive if you liked Dick as much as I do (and if you just chuckled at the way that was worded you have proved my point).

The comment was personally offensive and beyond the bounds of a civil political debate.

Yes, you're right. Let's all return to a civil political debate, shall we?

Francishsu: I agree that going back to 1999 is quite suspect.

i just noticed that Dick DeVos is running an ad at the bottom of this page. i give his staff credit for exploring Internet advertising opportunities and reaching out to the community... however, i will not vote for him.

i have a friend who voted for Granholm in '02 and says he'll vote for DeVos this time. he is trying to get me to change my vote... or at least convince me to lodge a protest by voting for a 3rd party candidate or leaving that part of the ballot blank.

if anyone tries this with you, please ignore them. your Granholm vote is needed to cancel out their vote and they are just trying to play a little political trick on you.

i just noticed that Dick DeVos is running an ad at the bottom of this page. i give his staff credit for exploring Internet advertising opportunities and reaching out to the community... however, i will not vote for him.

i have a friend who voted for Granholm in '02 and says he'll vote for DeVos this time. he is trying to get me to change my vote... or at least convince me to lodge a protest by voting for a 3rd party candidate or leaving that part of the ballot blank.

if anyone tries this with you, please ignore them. your Granholm vote is needed to cancel out their vote and they are just trying to play a little political trick on you.

I have a feeling everyone on here already has their mind made up, and its just a grudgematch between those who agree on one side or the other (me included) there are very few people in the middle.

That being said, if you really want to win votes for your canidate you cant do it on the internet. Debating on the internet is like throwing tennis balls at a brick wall. Try as you might that tennis ball will never move the brick wall.

I dont understand. You are saying if a person is trying to convince you to vote for the other canidate, or third party, they are playing a trick on you?

He's all over mlive too...just throwing that money around. If he's so concerned (I'll actually open this comment up to all people running for any office) with the state of things, then why not throw some (or all) of that campaign money into things that really matter and will make a difference today?

When a candidate spends money like a junkie on a binge, you gotta wonder what's driving it. In my humble opinion, it seems less out of a genuine concern and more out of a concern for oneself. Look at someone like Bill Gates - the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is doing some really great things for people. There are ways to help if that's what you really want to do - there are also ways to help yourself if that's what you want to do. There's really no way we can see into a candidate's heart and mind to know for sure what drives him/her.

I dont understand. You are saying if a person is trying to convince you to vote for the other canidate, or third party, they are playing a trick on you?

I think the "trick" is getting you to either not vote or vote for the third party in the case you don't like either candidate, but still view Devos worse. Since his friend was not able to convince him to vote for Devos, he's at least trying to get him not to vote for Granholm.

At a higher level, I think there's one state where the Green Party has fielded a candidate and is actually getting contributions from Republicans in order to siphon votes away from the Democrat candidate. They don't really support the Green candidate's positions, but they know that some liberal voters can be persuaded to vote for the Green Party even though the Green has no chance of winning.

Another interesting scenario is the Senate race in Connecticut. Lieberman lost in the Democrat primarys to Lamont; now Lieberman is running as an Independent. There's a Republican candidate Schlesinger, but virtually nobody is endorsing the guy while Lieberman is getting all but the official endorsement from the Republican party. So the equivilant "trick" would be for a Lamont supporter to convince a conservative voter that they should vote for Schlesinger or not vote at all.

He's all over mlive too...just throwing that money around. If he's so concerned (I'll actually open this comment up to all people running for any office) with the state of things, then why not throw some (or all) of that campaign money into things that really matter and will make a difference today?

When a candidate spends money like a junkie on a binge, you gotta wonder what's driving it. In my humble opinion, it seems less out of a genuine concern and more out of a concern for oneself. Look at someone like Bill Gates - the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is doing some really great things for people. There are ways to help if that's what you really want to do - there are also ways to help yourself if that's what you want to do. There's really no way we can see into a candidate's heart and mind to know for sure what drives him/her.

Maybe you're unaware of the Dick and Betsy DeVos foundation? I beleive you'll find some "really great things for people."

True, he could just take the money being spent on his campaign and feed the poor with it. This one time handout doesn't fix the problem. He believes, as do those of us who will vote for him, that spending the money in order to be elected will now put him in place to really help others. Granted, you may not agree with his ideas but to accuse him of not really caring about others because he's spending money on a campaign rather than giving it away doesn't seem very logical.

Maybe you're unaware of the Dick and Betsy DeVos foundation? I beleive you'll find some "really great things for people."

True, he could just take the money being spent on his campaign and feed the poor with it. This one time handout doesn't fix the problem. He believes, as do those of us who will vote for him, that spending the money in order to be elected will now put him in place to really help others. Granted, you may not agree with his ideas but to accuse him of not really caring about others because he's spending money on a campaign rather than giving it away doesn't seem very logical.

You will notice that I say "I'll open this comment up for all people running for any

office" I am aware of the Dick & Betsy DeVos Foundation - it's great that they choose to give some of their money away. I agree, a one-time hand out is not the answer. Money can be applied to programs that aim to fix things on a system-wide basis (The Source and Cascade Engineering's Welfare to Career are two programs working very well right here in GR).

I did not "accuse" DeVos of anything. Based on the fact that I was talking about all candidates and expressing my frustration with a campaigning system that seems relatively twisted, it seems like you may have drawn that conclusion about Mr. DeVos (not really caring about others) all on your own.

I will re-iterate, it is too bad we cannot know what truly lies in the hearts and minds of all our candidates. It would make the voting process a lot less frustrating.

I did not "accuse" DeVos of anything. Based on the fact that I was talking about all candidates and expressing my frustration with a campaigning system that seems relatively twisted, it seems like you may have drawn that conclusion about Mr. DeVos (not really caring about others) all on your own.

At first glance and reading, it sounds like you are directing your comments to Mr. DeVos by using "he" instead of something more gender neutral like "they" or "he/she"

"He's all over mlive too...just throwing that money around. If he's so concerned"

After re-reading your statement from this morning and your response to eagle your point is clearer to me. I do agree that it would be nice to know what every Canidate's "real" reasons for running for office is. I would also like to be wealthy enough not to work and support my family, community, and friends too.

DeVos for me. I feel the overall quality of life in Michigan has taken huge steps backward in the past 4 years for many of it's residents. Not everyone has been affected, but Michigan as a whole hasn't even stopped the economic bleeding yet and the rest of the country has already gone through another upswing and is showing signs of slowing. Our states economy is not just an issue of employment and unemployment, many people are working in the same trades they always have for much less money. Wages have stagnated or have been cut, benefits have been cut or decreased, decent bonuses have dried up and the underlying businesses are struggling. It would also be nice to have someone in office that cares what the west side of the state thinks in years other than those that include an election. We have many great, great business leaders in our area and I don't see Jennifer Granholm in photos with any of them, but I sure didn't miss the one of her and James Hoffa Jr. holding each others hands over their heads. Just what Michigan needs, government with allegiance to the unions not business.

I think I just noticed that the most avid Granholm followers here are also the most active posters in the "Single in 616" topic.

Correlation? :whistling:

Us grrrllls all lust after the "saint" in the First Gent's office. (Heck, I saw a pic of 9yo Jack in the paper. Can't wait!)

Archived