Gentrification

It seems like a lot of older neighborhoods in Little Rock/NLR are thriving...

The River Market revitalized the stagnant eastern fringe of downtown.

The Heights has always done well but prices are really commanding a premium.

Hillcrest homes are being renovated at an impressive pace and prices have skyrocketed.

Stifft Station seems to be benefitting from the Hillcrest property values and renovation is common there.

Who could be next?

MacArthur Park is such a good candidate but some of the apartments there are shoddily managed and badly need new ownership. Many of the nice homes are converted to apts and reconversion would be pricy. The location is perfect, though.

The Quapaw Quarter still has stagnated home prices and I think crime is the reason. If we can fix the crime problem there the area has nowhere to go but up and it has the potential to be the state's most affluent neighborhood.

Capitol View can benefit from Hillcrest/Stifft Station's momentum but first there are some seedy apartments that need to be dozed.

Argenta is suffering in many ways from the same problems as the Quapaw Quarter but has the additional problem of much of the older housing was long ago torn down.

The Fair Park neighborhood has some great homes but borders some marginal areas. Could it benefit from a midtown resurgence?

I'd love to hear your opinions about these neighborhoods and others.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't say I'm very familiar with a lot of the area neighborhoods. But one I always wanted to see live up more to it's potential is the Quapaw Quarter. I just remember it being very nice. But I got the impression it was surrounded by not so nice neighborhoods around it. I even had a guy 'bother' me a bit when I was taking pics. But that was years ago.

I think the area west of Pike Ave. near the river in NLR could see some redevelopment. As for Argenta there are a lot of empty lots ready for infill.

The Fair Park neighborhood could be helped out with the growth of UALR.

The MacArthur Park area is vital for downtown redevelopment. The city should do everthing it can to help this area. A police substation will soon open on Capitol Ave. One thing the city could do is to make sure that code enforcement in this area is a priority. I would like to see all one way streets returned back to two way.

It seems like a lot of older neighborhoods in Little Rock/NLR are thriving...

The River Market revitalized the stagnant eastern fringe of downtown.

The Heights has always done well but prices are really commanding a premium.

Hillcrest homes are being renovated at an impressive pace and prices have skyrocketed.

Stifft Station seems to be benefitting from the Hillcrest property values and renovation is common there.

Who could be next?

MacArthur Park is such a good candidate but some of the apartments there are shoddily managed and badly need new ownership. Many of the nice homes are converted to apts and reconversion would be pricy. The location is perfect, though.

The Quapaw Quarter still has stagnated home prices and I think crime is the reason. If we can fix the crime problem there the area has nowhere to go but up and it has the potential to be the state's most affluent neighborhood.

Capitol View can benefit from Hillcrest/Stifft Station's momentum but first there are some seedy apartments that need to be dozed.

Argenta is suffering in many ways from the same problems as the Quapaw Quarter but has the additional problem of much of the older housing was long ago torn down.

The Fair Park neighborhood has some great homes but borders some marginal areas. Could it benefit from a midtown resurgence?

I'd love to hear your opinions about these neighborhoods and others.

I understand that Stiff Station was just designated a "National Historic District" - the same as the current designation for Hillcrest. This brings the total to 13 of such districts in Little Rock alone.

I hope the continually escalating property values across Markham in Hillcrest continue to creep south to Stiff Station to see it live up to its potential.

I can't say I'm very familiar with a lot of the area neighborhoods. But one I always wanted to see live up more to it's potential is the Quapaw Quarter. I just remember it being very nice. But I got the impression it was surrounded by not so nice neighborhoods around it. I even had a guy 'bother' me a bit when I was taking pics. But that was years ago.

The Quapaw Quarter has been largely restored and the area that is fully restored expands a few blocks a year. There is one high rise housing project (Pharris Tower?) in the middle of it, though this actually is a fairly attractive building. The big problem is that some of the city's worst neighborhoods are nearby. When people from LR say that the serious crime is largely limited to a few areas we are being serious. The problem with the Quapaw Quarter is that a couple of these areas are just South of it. The other issue is that local churches assist the homeless and there is a lot of homeless foot traffic through the neighborhood during the daytime. This problem is magnified by the fact many homes lack garages (they predate the automobile) unless they were added later, in which case they rarely connect to the home.

I love the area and the homes are a genuine bargain. You can move into a circa 1890-1900 fully restored mansion at a price that would shock you. The crime issue is too much for me and my family to swallow. I think the city needs a small satellite police station here in a bad way and the station at Capitol would've been better on Main near the QQ.

I understand that Stiff Station was just designated a "National Historic District" - the same as the current designation for Hillcrest. This brings the total to 13 of such districts in Little Rock alone.

I hope the continually escalating property values across Markham in Hillcrest continue to creep south to Stiff Station to see it live up to its potential.

I think the area of Stifft Station north of Markham has essentially become like Hillcrest. What I'd really like to see is the boundary of gentrification to make it South to I-630. One problem with this is that the homes adjacent to UAMS are being allowed to decline as the medical center has expansion plans for that area and investment in those homes is pointless. The area around Woodrow south to 630, though, is full of potential gems.

• 3 weeks later...

The area east of the Clinton Library to the airport wouldn't exactly qualify for gentrification as there is hardly anything there now except for scrap yards it seems but it has huge potential for development. I believe there are apartments and some retail announced for the area but nothing has moved on it.

Isn't that where they were talking about putting in that Lighthouse Pointe or something? A large, low rise condo project w/ marina would be perfect over there... although close to the airport (noise).

Isn't that where they were talking about putting in that Lighthouse Pointe or something? A large, low rise condo project w/ marina would be perfect over there... although close to the airport (noise).

That project has been on the horizon for almost a decade. I'm not sure we'll ever see it built.

I think the area of Stifft Station north of Markham has essentially become like Hillcrest. What I'd really like to see is the boundary of gentrification to make it South to I-630. One problem with this is that the homes adjacent to UAMS are being allowed to decline as the medical center has expansion plans for that area and investment in those homes is pointless. The area around Woodrow south to 630, though, is full of potential gems.

What area of Stiff Station is north of Markham? I believe that all the area north of Markham is considered part of Hillcrest, though technically the old streetcar "Stiff Station" obviously straddled Markham. But as far as the current definitions of neighborhoods go, everything south of Markham is generally considered Stiff Station. I can assure you that that is true of the boundary of the new Historic District for Stiff Station.

The Quapaw Quarter has been largely restored and the area that is fully restored expands a few blocks a year. There is one high rise housing project (Pharris Tower?) in the middle of it, though this actually is a fairly attractive building. The big problem is that some of the city's worst neighborhoods are nearby. When people from LR say that the serious crime is largely limited to a few areas we are being serious. The problem with the Quapaw Quarter is that a couple of these areas are just South of it. The other issue is that local churches assist the homeless and there is a lot of homeless foot traffic through the neighborhood during the daytime. This problem is magnified by the fact many homes lack garages (they predate the automobile) unless they were added later, in which case they rarely connect to the home.

I love the area and the homes are a genuine bargain. You can move into a circa 1890-1900 fully restored mansion at a price that would shock you. The crime issue is too much for me and my family to swallow. I think the city needs a small satellite police station here in a bad way and the station at Capitol would've been better on Main near the QQ.

What are you guys talking about regarding "deals" or "stagnant prices" in QQ? I suppose its a deal compared to some other areas (such as Heights and Hillcrest), but real estate prices in this district have risen dramatically over the past 3 years, and are as high as ever! There is also lots of activity regarding renovations and new construction - of which 2 of my colleagues at work are building and/or have built.

What are you guys talking about regarding "deals" or "stagnant prices" in QQ? I suppose its a deal compared to some other areas (such as Heights and Hillcrest), but real estate prices in this district have risen dramatically over the past 3 years, and are as high as ever! There is also lots of activity regarding renovations and new construction - of which 2 of my colleagues at work are building and/or have built.

If you watch online listings closely, and I do as I will be looking for a house in LR in just a few months, the same houses in the Quapaw Quarter have been sitting for what seems like eons while houses all over town seem to be moving well (the exception being the $1.2 million plus homes Rick Ferguson built in Valley Falls and other far West LR neighborhoods). There is an absolutely gorgeous 10,000 SF mansion in perfect condition with expensive woodwork and art glass as well as a tile roof for sale that is directly across from the Governor's Mansion. You may have noticed it before it has a lot of stone, tudor accents, and a green tile roof. There are a couple of homes on Arch and a gorgeous one on Broadway that are also in top condition but don't seem to be moving despite quite reasonable prices. One of them is 3600 SF and only $350,000 and is a classic Victorian. Theyv'e all been gutted with new kitchens and bathrooms. The Empress is for sale and is admittedly rather expensive and this is keeping it from selling. The Rozelle-Murphy House (former SCAN HQs) is for sale at a rock bottom price and has shockingly been sitting a while as well. There are a few homes just south of Macarthur Park and the Art Museum across the interstate near the Eastside Lofts that have recently been gutted. They are priced very reasonably, under $200k. Were your friends involved in those?

These houses would all be at least triple that value in the Heights and double that in Hillcrest. Really, if you look at both square footage and quality you get more for your money in the QQ than with new homes in far West LR. You really don't pay the historic premium in the QQ or in Macarthur Park that you do in other historic areas. I'd love to see the city embrace an aggressive plan to clean up and protect the Quapaw Quarter to the point any visitor there would feel comfortable taking a walking tour. It's such a terrific resource for the city.

• 3 months later...
I'm sitting in one of those Broadmoor homes right now. Fortunately, UALR is investing quite a bit of effort and money in its strategic plan and in the University District plan. They've hired Wallace, Roberts, and Todd out of Florida to work on the district, and they've held several meetings with people from UALR and the surrounding neighborhoods.

The problem with this part of Little Rock is the loss of middle-class population to the west and to the outlying counties. To succeed, UALR has to attract people back here to create demand for something besides check cashers and tattoo parlors.

The consultants have suggested building a mixed-use development at one of the corners of Asher and University or in one of the spots occupied by strip malls across University from the campus.

http://www.ualr.edu/communityengagement/un...itydistrict.asp

Good post. I work at UALR and there is a concerted effort to maximize the potential of this area of Little Rock. Due to the road work on University, I have become more familiar with Broadmoor. I live north of Briarwood. I take the Hughes to 12th, then turn at the Bess Chism YWCA and wind around through Broadmoor. This makes a safe route for a bicycle too. Do you have any idea of the price per square foot range for these homes?

What sorts of retailers and restaurants would you like to see in a mixed-use development? Which corner or area do you think is ideal for redevelopment?

Now that you mention it, yes there are some nice homes on that stretch. And yes they are underpriced. Is there any plans to renovate the the University Plaza at the corner of Asher and University? Last I heard UALR was buying it to expand the school.

• 1 year later...

I wanted to bring this topic back into play.

Stifft Station is looking at designation as a historic district and many of the preliminary steps have taken place including an architectural survey. That area is up and coming and if the present economy doesn't kill the momentum I think it would be a great place to invest in older homes.

I think we may have differing opinions about healthy neighborhoods and gentrification. My personal choices for neighborhoods that will likely experience gentrification or are primed for it are the Central High neighborhood and Baring Cross in NLR. Rockwater Village a TND is planned for just south of Baring Cross and you should see definite gentrification occurring over there simply because values in that area are rock bottom right now.

I think if LR ever gets a handle on crime, Central High neighborhood should really blossom. We will have to see though, the city invested a lot in that area getting prepped for the 50th celebration. Enthusiam may fade on that area.

I'm not well versed in LR history, but I'm not completely sure if some of those other neighborhoods have ever really seen sharp decline, excluding MacArthur Park and QQ.

I think we may have differing opinions about healthy neighborhoods and gentrification. My personal choices for neighborhoods that will likely experience gentrification or are primed for it are the Central High neighborhood and Baring Cross in NLR. Rockwater Village a TND is planned for just south of Baring Cross and you should see definite gentrification occurring over there simply because values in that area are rock bottom right now.

I think if LR ever gets a handle on crime, Central High neighborhood should really blossom. We will have to see though, the city invested a lot in that area getting prepped for the 50th celebration. Enthusiam may fade on that area.

I'm not well versed in LR history, but I'm not completely sure if some of those other neighborhoods have ever really seen sharp decline, excluding MacArthur Park and QQ.

I don't count complete de novo developments like Rockwater Village as gentrification. As a young child I lived in Stifft Station. It definitely took a dip and is on its way up again as is Capitol View, which is more depressed. They were never completely lost, though, everything north of 630 kept some kind of value. I guess those neighborhoods are ultimately an extension of Hillcrest, though, and that was predictable.

I don't know about the Central High area or Baring Cross. Both of those neighborhoods have tremendous obstacles, namely very high crime rates, abandoned buildings, and lack of nearby shopping/conveniences.

I meant gentrification in Baring Cross will likely occur because of Rockwater Village, at least in the areas south of 15th St.

Again "depressed" is very relative. I wouldn't call either Stift's Station or Capitol View depressed. I live there now, some pockets may be blighted, but when some houses are listed for over $130 per sq ft that is not emblematic of a depressed area. I think its more an issue of poor property maintenance than being poor property value.

Archived