Gentrification

I meant gentrification in Baring Cross will likely occur because of Rockwater Village, at least in the areas south of 15th St.

Again "depressed" is very relative. I wouldn't call either Stift's Station or Capitol View depressed. I live there now, some pockets may be blighted, but when some houses are listed for over $130 per sq ft that is not emblematic of a depressed area. I think its more an issue of poor property maintenance than being poor property value.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baring Cross is on the northside just west of Pike Ave. It was originally a workforce housing neighborhood for the rail workers. The houses are similar to what you'd find throughout CV and SS. Housing values have pretty well bottomed out over there currently. The Rockwater Village development is slated to be a TND and will be built just south of the neighborhood. The development will acutally have streets that will connect with the rest of Baring Cross. I'm don't really know, but I guesstimate houses and townhouses will start in the 200s and go from there. Its going to be a true urban infill development.

Becuase its being built as somewhat of an extension of the Baring Cross neighborhood, one would assume it may have some sort of affect on the remainder of the neighborhood.

The thing about Little Rock is that its so small and reasonably priced AND all the rich whiteys live out west, you don't have the same hard hitting gentrifying affects that come with revitalization as you see in other cities. But again that doesn't mean to jack to the little old granny on Social Security or someone making minimum wage. That's my opinion at least.

Baring Cross is on the northside just west of Pike Ave. It was originally a workforce housing neighborhood for the rail workers. The houses are similar to what you'd find throughout CV and SS. Housing values have pretty well bottomed out over there currently. The Rockwater Village development is slated to be a TND and will be built just south of the neighborhood. The development will acutally have streets that will connect with the rest of Baring Cross. I'm don't really know, but I guesstimate houses and townhouses will start in the 200s and go from there. Its going to be a true urban infill development.

Becuase its being built as somewhat of an extension of the Baring Cross neighborhood, one would assume it may have some sort of affect on the remainder of the neighborhood.

The thing about Little Rock is that its so small and reasonably priced AND all the rich whiteys live out west, you don't have the same hard hitting gentrifying affects that come with revitalization as you see in other cities. But again that doesn't mean to jack to the little old granny on Social Security or someone making minimum wage. That's my opinion at least.

Rockwater Village won't be right next to the residential areas of Baring Cross, it will be an isolated one way in, one way out kind of community. I hope it does recover some but I really think to do it Argenta property values will have to be very high and push people to the outskirts. Historic homes in Argenta are still dirt cheap.

Like abdintp said, property values in CV and SS dropped drastically about 15 years ago and have recovered some since then.

I don't really think of the rich white folks living west as much as North. You can drive through nothing but upscale neighborhoods for 20 miles down Cantrell heading West from downtown. North vs South seems to make so much more of an economic difference in this town. Smaller cities like ours never really have the distance/travel time pressures that large metros do. In Atlanta old neighborhoods are being revitalized because people don't want to spend an hour each way in traffic. Far West LR to downtown is still just a 20 minute commute.

If Rockwater is a success then I think the south part of Baring Cross will redevelop soon after. The reason I say this is because a large number of the lots in the south Baring Cross area are vacant. I would say in the thirty five to forty percent range.

I agree with Central High neighborhood being primed. The Central High Neighborhood Association is a politically active in the City. They still have a long way to go though. The City is working to streamline the process of possessing abandoned property. This will aid in the progress of the Central High neighborhood. The initiative came directly from the Central High Neighborhood folks. It will allow the City to obtain property and sell it to developers much faster. I think it takes about 5 years now. They hope to get it down to 18 months (i think). I maintain my right to be wrong on some of these facts, but that is the gist.

Rockwater Village streets will NOT be connecting to Baring Cross. And from what I observed, for good reason. I do know that the developers have purchased close to 50% of the properties in the area to bring control and stability to the area.

Archived