Greer to develop a Cherrydale like shopping area?

G'ville-gal

There is to be a new shopping center in Greer. I am editing this as I realize my title sounds like Greer is developing it. It is being developed in Greer. Sorry for any confusion.

I have heard from a neighbor that the land beside the Village at Pelham is to be developed into a Cherrydale like shopping center. It will be the corners of hwy 14- Westmoreland and Abner Creek.

The developers are trying to buy a house on Abner Creek and when the owner of the house questioned what was to be developed, she was shown plans for the shopping center.

I wonder if this is the $250 million dollar project that has been discussed.

I have mixed feelings. I like the idea of shopping being close but do not like the increased noise and traffic. I fear hwy 14 within 5 years will be like Woodruff Road.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greer will have a major shopping center one day. Tough outdoor "lifestyle" centers are popular now, I would rather see an enclosed retail center to balance shopping options. Take something like Haywood Mall and add various sections of retail, residential and lodging around it connected by a monorail of sorts. It could be the upstate's version of "Mall of America".

Traffic on that section of SC-14 is not bad. The long section from Pelham and Batesville roads down to Simpsonville needs four lanes. It isunfortunate that area lacks proactive leaders to make that happen.

It is a great location for Bass Pro Shops if they do not choose Pelham Road now.

So which county will this developemt be in? I do not think it would make sense for BPS to build in Greer. I know it is in the middle of Gville and Sptbg, but it would be a farther distance from the lakes surrounding Anderson, Pickens, Occonee counties. Greenville or Powdersville would make more sense and would still be in the middle of everything. But I am not optimistic about BPS anyway, UP is the only place I have ever heard that rumor, and it seems to remain just that.

This possible development in on the Spartanburg County side.

Locating on I-85 in Greer, it should be easy access to Lake Hartwell 45-60 minutes away.

GSA Business reported Bass Pro Shop was looking at Spartanburg's Westgate Mall for its upstate SC location. (Costco is building there instead.) BPS has its selected isites for its coming location. It is a waiting game now to announce its exact location and opening date. Cabela's is scouting the area as well. If one does not act sooner, the other will seize the opportunity to set foot into the area.

So which county will this developemt be in? I do not think it would make sense for BPS to build in Greer. I know it is in the middle of Gville and Sptbg, but it would be a farther distance from the lakes surrounding Anderson, Pickens, Occonee counties. Greenville or Powdersville would make more sense and would still be in the middle of everything. But I am not optimistic about BPS anyway, UP is the only place I have ever heard that rumor, and it seems to remain just that.

I've heard that Pelham Rd area was being looked at BPS... we shall see...

If anything would happen it would straddle the county line, it would likely be in both counties. Also, take a look at the Village of Pelham Site Plan. I do not think we will see a project of $250,000,000 but maybe multiple projects over time that might reach that number, and that may include the hospital and hotels to be built there as well.

Also, I think things look good to happen there, becuase of the Pelham Rd @ Garlington Project falling thorugh, some of those retailors may just go to this project.

If anything would happen it would straddle the county line, it would likely be in both counties. Also, take a look at the Village of Pelham Site Plan. I do not think we will see a project of $250,000,000 but maybe multiple projects over time that might reach that number, and that may include the hospital and hotels to be built there as well.

Also, I think things look good to happen there, becuase of the Pelham Rd @ Garlington Project falling thorugh, some of those retailors may just go to this project.

:shok: What? How? The Greenville Journal just last week was saying stuff about that site at Garlington and Pelham Roads in the TBA section. I knew something was up after I noticed the sign for the development had been takin down. So much for BPS at that site.

Word is that the owner of the land decided not to sell. I also got confirmation from the leasing firm that the project was dead, at least for the time being.

Hnestly, I think it would be better if what was planned there moved out to HWY 14 at 85.

This has nothing to do with this, but KDS Properties is not doing the Villagio Verde site, somebody else is according to Bob Ellis Architecture. The plans are still the same though for the two 7-story condo buildings. :thumbsup:

Word is that the owner of the land decided not to sell. I also got confirmation from the leasing firm that the project was dead, at least for the time being.

Hnestly, I think it would be better if what was planned there moved out to HWY 14 at 85.

I wonder if Super Target will decide to build out there on HWY 14 and I-85.

I knew they were not doing it, but I heard that the people who might may redesign it, i am glad to hear the plans are staying the same.

I had heard a while back what the new site would be, I take it that didn't work out and they are looking for yet another site?

I knew they were not doing it, but I heard that the people who might may redesign it, i am glad to hear the plans are staying the same.

I had heard a while back what the new site would be, I take it that didn't work out and they are looking for yet another site?

Bo Garland of Bob Ellis Architecture emailed me wondering if I knew anybody who had 6-7 acres of land and some investors so they could build Villagio Verde somewhere else.

Archived