Furniture market in High Point to change name

cityboi

I think its a bad idea to go from "The International Home Furnishings Market" to "The High Point Market". IHFM says to me its the world's showcase furniture market. By calling it the High Point Market, its seems just like any other market. Even if people already call it the High Point market for short I still think its a bad idea.

http://www.wfmy.com/news/local_state/artic...x?storyid=69869

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its a bad idea to go from "The International Home Furnishings Market" to "The High Point Market". IHFM says to me its the world's showcase furniture market. By calling it the High Point Market, its seems just like any other market. Even if people already call it the High Point market for short I still think its a bad idea.

I agree with you. I think they're taking the Las Vegas market too serious (as they should) by delaring that market the Las Vegas market and this market the High Point one. They could've just renamed it "The High Point International Home Furnishings Market" if all they wanted was recognition. I think this will tremendously hurt the market in the long run.

Sadly enough, I'll admit it. I think what will keep High Point from completely going under is HPU its proximity to other growing Triad municipalities.

The name change is relatively meaningless. High Point twiddled its thumbs while Vegas built up its infrastructure, and while nobody will admit it yet, the market and High Point are sliding into the economic development version of hospice.

Thank you, my thought exactly. It's kind of a basic marketing premise it would seem, how someone didn't raise that point during their discussions I don't know. 'The International Market' says it all, 'High Point' has the appearance of a local Mom & Pop. Definately a psychological or whatever you want to call it step down in my opinion.

High Point twiddled its thumbs while Vegas built up its infrastructure, and while nobody will admit it yet, the market and High Point are sliding into the economic development version of hospice.

Ties into a question I've had for a while - why isn't Charlotte positioning itself to take up the slack in the wake of High Point's inertness? It is near enough by that some of the businesses around HP that owe their livelihood to the IHFM would not have to relocate/go out of business; would keep the Market in NC, as well as all that revenue; and would contribute to Charlotte's boom. Better Charlotte than Vegas in my opinion, since HP can't sustain/occupy the increased hotel and showroom space needed during the non-Market times of the year anyway.

Thank you, my thought exactly. It's kind of a basic marketing premise it would seem, how someone didn't raise that point during their discussions I don't know. 'The International Market' says it all, 'High Point' has the appearance of a local Mom & Pop. Definately a psychological or whatever you want to call it step down in my opinion.

Ties into a question I've had for a while - why isn't Charlotte positioning itself to take up the slack in the wake of High Point's inertness? It is near enough by that some of the businesses around HP that owe their livelihood to the IHFM would not have to relocate/go out of business; would keep the Market in NC, as well as all that revenue; and would contribute to Charlotte's boom. Better Charlotte than Vegas in my opinion, since HP can't sustain/occupy the increased hotel and showroom space needed during the non-Market times of the year anyway.

If im not mistaken, didnt Charlotte try to still the market away from High Point many years ago. I know a number of cities such as Atlanta and Dallas have tried but they all failed.

I think High Point's biggest weakness is lack of hotel rooms within walking distance of the market. The problem is nothing goes on in High Point during the rest of the year so there is no demand for alot of hotel rooms except for during the market which is only a few weeks out of the year.

If im not mistaken, didnt Charlotte try to still the market away from High Point many years ago. I know a number of cities such as Atlanta and Dallas have tried but they all failed.

I didn't know that, but it has to be different now, and so is Charlotte. Many places could make a better case for the market than Charlotte of course, but I would think that High Point would not fight that choice so much now that the Market leaving is a reality. I hate it for High Point that this is happening, but in my opinion think that Charlotte would be a better choice for HP so as to keep some of it's connection to the market.

I don't think it would change it much when it comes to attracting buyers and shoppers. According to the NCCBI, and other sources, most American furniture is produced within 200 miles of High Point, so I think this state will continue to attract shoppers and buyers. These sources also say the Hickory Furniture Mart has been praised by Oprah Winfrey, Interior Motives with Christopher Lowell, national magazine's like Women's Day, and newspapers like New York Times, and L.A. Times. This is major notoriety, so it looks like a bright future ahead, even though most of the furniture is now made in China and imported by them.

so it looks like a bright future ahead, even though most of the furniture is now made in China and imported by them.

Until we put a stop to China "dumping" inferior made and rock bottom cheap furniture products in this country, I would say the furniture industry in NC will continue to contract and slowly die. There have literally been thousands of jobs lost in the Hickory and High Point Metros due to this. And High Point is completely oblivious to the fact they are more than likely going to lose hold of the Furniture Market to Las Vegas. This is really a SAD time for the NC furniture industry.

Until we put a stop to China "dumping" inferior made and rock bottom cheap furniture products in this country, I would say the furniture industry in NC will continue to contract and slowly die. There have literally been thousands of jobs lost in the Hickory and High Point Metros due to this. And High Point is completely oblivious to the fact they are more than likely going to lose hold of the Furniture Market to Las Vegas. This is really a SAD time for the NC furniture industry.

Yes, I completely agree about the cheap Chinese goods flooding in. It is sad that the U.S. is sacrificing it's manufacturing to the god of "free trade." If I had the power, I would scrap ALL free trade agreements, because each nation should decide who and when they trade, and how they do so, not other countries, not the WTO, etc.. I think U.S. industry is important. When I said the future looked bright, I really meant for the furniture showrooms and markets in N.C. The manufacturing probably will die, but it will have to be imported and advertised and marketed here. There is no evidence that part of it going to die, at least immediately. People from around the nation and world still come en masse to the Hickory Furniture Mart. They claim it is the 5th most popular tourist destination in the state. They claim 500,000 shoppers and buyers every year. Other cities have tried to take the furniture conventions away from High Point in the past, such as Dallas, but they haven't succeeded. High Point remains #1, and I hope they will remain there. Only time will tell, I guess. Like everything else, we'll need a crystal ball to see... It is worrisome though, being Las Vegas is so attractive already as a convention city. :(

Not all of the furniture being dumped is of the cheap variety, and that is a bigger problem. Some of the big showrooms with the finest furniture are having theirs made in China as well. I am personally guilty of buying a high quality Chinese made dining room set that would have cost around $7,000 if American made for practically nothing in comparison during Furniture Market in HP. I feel guilty about it, believe me, but that is the reality - as a consumer I couldn't turn down such a deal. I suppose there is some upper eschelon of craftsmanship that Chinese mass producers can not approximate, but I can still see them pushing out some of the better manufacturers around here.

The name change is relatively meaningless. High Point twiddled its thumbs while Vegas built up its infrastructure, and while nobody will admit it yet, the market and High Point are sliding into the economic development version of hospice.

Vegas has pretty much stuck a stake in the heart of the High Point Furniture Market. I wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear in the next 5-10 years.

If I had the power, I would scrap ALL free trade agreements, because each nation should decide who and when they trade, and how they do so, not other countries, not the WTO, etc.

Judging by your inflammatory signature, I imagine you vote Republican in most elections, assuming you vote. If that's the case, you regularly choose to do the OPPOSITE of scrap free trade agreements with other nations with the one lever of power you control as a citizen. Maybe if you realize this, you vote libertarian.

The same people who run NCCBI are the same people who have been saying things like "people will keep coming to High Point instead of Vegas because they won't get any business done out in NV with all the distractions." Getting excited that Oprah has praised the Hickory Furniture Mart when FURNITURE INDUSTRY EXECUTIVES are praising the Vegas market shows the level of denial and cluelessness at NCCBI.

NCCBI would tell you that if we just gut the government and lower taxes enough, we wouldn't be losing the furniture market to Vegas. Nothing could be further from the truth. High Point's advantage was always "this is where the showrooms and the stuff are"- and ultimately, little else. The city spent years neglecting its development as a PLACE, and now Vegas, which is a veritable entertainment theme park for adults by comparison, is going to suck High Point dry because all it had to do was build the showrooms, sit back, and wait.

Judging by your inflammatory signature, I imagine you vote Republican in most elections, assuming you vote. If that's the case, you regularly choose to do the OPPOSITE of scrap free trade agreements with other nations with the one lever of power you control as a citizen. Maybe if you realize this, you vote libertarian.

The same people who run NCCBI are the same people who have been saying things like "people will keep coming to High Point instead of Vegas because they won't get any business done out in NV with all the distractions." Getting excited that Oprah has praised the Hickory Furniture Mart when FURNITURE INDUSTRY EXECUTIVES are praising the Vegas market shows the level of denial and cluelessness at NCCBI.

NCCBI would tell you that if we just gut the government and lower taxes enough, we wouldn't be losing the furniture market to Vegas. Nothing could be further from the truth. High Point's advantage was always "this is where the showrooms and the stuff are"- and ultimately, little else. The city spent years neglecting its development as a PLACE, and now Vegas, which is a veritable entertainment theme park for adults by comparison, is going to suck High Point dry because all it had to do was build the showrooms, sit back, and wait.

Well, first of all, Republicans aren't, by a long shot, the only ones that are inflammatory. My signature is not any more inflammatory than many others around here. And yes, I do vote. I have my beliefs, and I'm NOT ashamed of them. I don't have to answer to you. Everything I say is true, and I have the right to disagree with the Marxist agenda many left wing groups have and espouse. I am not a "Republican" although I do agree with them a lot more than the increasingly bizarre Democratic Party. I do not agree with ALL thier policies. I wouldn't have to apologize to anyone or explain myself if I DID vote Republican. I have the right to disagree and fight the ACLU's agenda as well. If you wish to defend openly communist, anti-capitalist, and anti-American organizations that flourish on the political left, go ahead. I don't. Call it "inflammatory" if you wish. Second, I didn't get "excited" by Oprah. I can't stand her. I also made clear that she wasn't the only one who complemented the Mart. I simply stated that national attention is still being given to NC furniture conventions and galleries- nothing more, nothing less. I also stated that other cities in the past have tried to do what Las Vegas wants, and have not succeeded. They aren't killing NC YET. I also stated that perhaps Las Vegas CAN, and that it was something to worry about. Third, I don't really know a lot about NCCBI (I'm not native to NC, there is much I don't know). I just used them because they were one of the first articles I read, and there were many more articles by others. Your opinions of NCCBI are just that-your opinions. Who are you to say they are clueless? If the executives are praising Las Vegas, that's good news for them, but High Point is still #1, Hickory Furniture Mart still attracts 500,000 people a year and growing, and we will just have to wait and see what happens-which is what I was saying. I read an article that interviewed Las Vegas authorities who stated that they didn't want to take High Point's place, they just wanted a successful show, that they were facing resistance by the industry, and that they expected High Point was going to fight for it. Nobody knows what's going to happen. Last, as a U.S. citizen, I have more than one lever of power... You make it sound as though America is a totalitarian society, which is the America-hating left wing's favorite thing to do. I have many ways to make myself heard, as do everyone else. A lot of what you posted had nothing to do with the subject, it was a personal attack on me and was not really relevant. I am so sorry you don't like my politics, but I am not sorry for my beliefs. Perhaps, if you don't like me, it's best to not read what I post, because I'm not going to stop posting unless I get banned or leave the site, and I'm not going to adopt the liberal agenda.

..... (I'm not native to NC, there is much I don't know). ....

If you are interested in knowing more, then it might help if you stop the constant political drama that comes in almost every one of your posts. We have a coffee house where you can go get your rocks off there if that is your bag of tea, but please stop with it in the rest of the forum. It's helping nobody and getting you a lot of negative reaction as demonstrated yet again in this thread. I don't have any problem with you believeing as you do, but I have a website to run and I don't have the time to keep putting out fires that you somehow always seem to be involved with. Eventually something will have to be done about this if you don't find it in yourself to be more friendly towards the others on this site.

Not all of the furniture being dumped is of the cheap variety, and that is a bigger problem. Some of the big showrooms with the finest furniture are having theirs made in China as well. I am personally guilty of buying a high quality Chinese made dining room set that would have cost around $7,000 if American made for practically nothing in comparison during Furniture Market in HP. I feel guilty about it, believe me, but that is the reality - as a consumer I couldn't turn down such a deal. I suppose there is some upper eschelon of craftsmanship that Chinese mass producers can not approximate, but I can still see them pushing out some of the better manufacturers around here.

I really should have said "cheaper." I did not mean cheap made. You are correct that China makes quality furniture as well, and I also am worried about how much of NC's furniture industry is going to be lost. I think trade and dumping should be restricted at least somewhat one way or another before all the furniture industry in the U.S. is destroyed, but most people around the nation aren't really worried where anything is made, so it probably won't be stopped. We are all guilty of buying imported furniture I guess. There's no way of knowing how much is made elsewhere. I believe in beneficial trade, but I just don't see the wisdom in outsourcing it all, don't you agree?

If you are interested in knowing more, then it might help if you stop the constant political drama that comes in almost every one of your posts. We have a coffee house where you can go get your rocks off there if that is your bag of tea, but please stop with it in the rest of the forum. It's helping nobody and getting you a lot of negative reaction as demonstrated yet again in this thread. I don't have any problem with you believeing as you do, but I have a website to run and I don't have the time to keep putting out fires that you somehow always seem to be involved with. Eventually something will have to be done about this if you don't find it in yourself to be more friendly towards the others on this site.

I am a bit confused... What "fires" have I started? I haven't noticed any really bad hostility toward me or my posts. His was the first I've really noticed that went out of the way to attack me. Why is it okay for him to attack me personally (not just my post) but not okay for me to respond? Why is it okay for others to inject thier political views into the posts (and into thier topics), but not for me? Why is it ok for others to say what's on thier mind, but not me? I am not the only one. I have not been getting ANY negative messages and few negative responses to my posts. If my signature is the problem, I don't see how drastically different it is from many others I have seen, and I had a complimentary message sent to me one day praising my link... If it is because I hold conservative views, that is my right, isn't it? I know this isn't a conservative site, but I still like it. I didn't come here to purposely offend anyone, but I do think that our society is under threat, and I am a bit fervent, but with no intention to be obnoxious.

I guess I don't see what I am accused of, because no one has responded in such a way before.

I really should have said "cheaper." I did not mean cheap made. You are correct that China makes quality furniture as well, and I also am worried about how much of NC's furniture industry is going to be lost. I think trade and dumping should be restricted at least somewhat one way or another before all the furniture industry in the U.S. is destroyed, but most people around the nation aren't really worried where anything is made, so it probably won't be stopped. We are all guilty of buying imported furniture I guess. There's no way of knowing how much is made elsewhere. I believe in beneficial trade, but I just don't see the wisdom in outsourcing it all, don't you agree?

Outsourcing is certainly not good for the people losing their jobs, no. I work in an industry that is reaching the same kind of alarming numbers as manufacturing for job loss and outsourcing - IT. Macroeconomically, this is an adjustment that should "correct" itself in 50 years, or however long it takes the places outsourcing is going to reach a higher standard of living, but that obviously does not help anyone here and now. Clearly we can not become just an economy of service, some manufacturing must be retained.

As far as trade restrictions, tariffs, etc., that is a mixed bag there. Traditionally such a discussion would become polarized along political lines (ironic considering your signature), but I think today it has finally sunk in that this is more complicated than simple conservatism vs. liberal, democrat vs. Republican nonsense.

To take a crack at your signature, though, are you just 'attacking' those of the left who are false in their aspirations of social justice, or are you saying anyone on the left whose goal is social justice is subversive, a masquerade, etc.? Whether or not the ACLU has been positive in all that is has done, it is difficult for anyone to argue against civil liberties, no matter where you are on the political spectrum, since you benefit from the struggles of those before you, no matter your race or creed. Unless of course you are a billionaire industrialist. Our founding fathers had little concern for children working a 90 hour week in conditions that would kill them, for example. Unless it was their children. They also owned slaves. I really can't imagine how you would truly like to do what you state in your signature - roll back to the state of things in our original Republic.

Everything I say is true, and I have the right to disagree with the Marxist agenda many left wing groups have and espouse.

Third, I don't really know a lot about NCCBI (I'm not native to NC, there is much I don't know). I just used them because they were one of the first articles I read, and there were many more articles by others.

If you struggle to understand why people find you inflammatory, part of it is the combination of the certitude in your first statement combined with your admitted lack of knowledge about the subjects on which you speak, as evidenced in your second quote above.

The second part is the very broad nature of your political comments, which are directed at "Marxists," "left-wing groups" and such, on a board that holds as a central topic, discussion of the urban built environment. I don't think people would find your posts nearly as off-putting if you were posting excerpts from Reason foundation articles about why Smart Growth is a bad idea. Then, we could at least have a germane discussion based on a topic that while it has political components, was more about outcomes than squawk-radio style rants.

The final part is that again, on a board focused on urban issue discussion, you end every post with a quote in which you suggest that any group with a social justice agenda is a potentially traitorous group to our nation's solvency. You may not realize that many people who read this board may work or volunteer with organizations that support social justice issues from basic needs like housing and feeding the homeless to more complex issues like identifying and tracking variations in sentencing for different races for identical crimes in the judicial system. For all we know, you're trying to tell us that People of Faith Against the Death Penalty are trying to undermine the Constitution by waking up in the morning and doing what they do. This WILL rub people the wrong way, whether you mean it to or not.

No, I don't agree with your worldview but that doesn't mean I oppose you being able to express it. But that's not my call as I'm a user, not a moderator of this site. All I was doing in the previous post was pointing out the irony of someone with a very right-wing orientation talking about their problems with globalization/free trade, and then wondering about the future survival of the state's furniture industry, which is pretty much on the ropes because of the lowering of trade barriers.

So if you're going to keep posting, believe me, I'm not bothered. That said, if you continue to make broad generalizations about anyone working towards social justice, don't be surprised if people take issue with those generalizations.

Archived