More notable quotes from the mailing list:

Keep in mind the following if the City has not actually hired new

policemen for the shifts:

a. It's most likely temporary until the latest complaints die down

b. It's even more temporary if there's an emergency somewhere else in

the City and these patrolmen have to be pulled for that emergency

c. It's also temporary if they catch the two mostly unidentified armed

robbers (see letter to the editor in Monday's paper) that have been

assaulting people in parking lots recently.

Meanwhile, enjoy the serenity!

Evelyn Angeletti

[Police] were everywhere last night. Even

walking employees to their cars. Slowly moving

forward!

Scott Webb

Oysters on the West End

Despite all the complaints and scepticism over these issues, there are plenty of positive remarks. I don't think anybody regrets being a part of downtown.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The City of Greenville will discuss the report from the recent meeting

concerning downtown issues at the Tuesday, September 5 City Council

meeting.

The meeting will be held in Council Chambers on the 10th floor of City

Hall at 5:30 PM.

Dr. Barry Nocks, who facilitated the downtown meeting on August 23,

will present a written summary to City Council. All are welcome.

We are in the process of posting the meeting summary and notes on

www.greatergreenville.com in the scrolling section on the opening

page for your review.

Mary Douglas Neal

Downtown Development Manager

This is actually a fairly common practice, unfortunately. Cities round up vagrants and provide them with one-way bus tickets to cities where it is believed they may have more opportunities to find work or whatever else that can get them on their feet. Evidently, it must be felt by some that Greenville is a place where opportunities exist that do not exist in whatever city is giving these people bus tickets. :unsure:

This is actually a fairly common practice, unfortunately. Cities round up vagrants and provide them with one-way bus tickets to cities where it is believed they may have more opportunities to find work or whatever else that can get them on their feet. Evidently, it must be felt by some that Greenville is a place where opportunities exist that do not exist in whatever city is giving these people bus tickets. :unsure:

I'd like to believe that this is the intention, but how can I with such hostility having been shown toward Greenville in recent months. Some people would stop at nothing to damage a rival's image, especially if that image has been very pristine. I say that really sucks, but they have much more to worry about in the end. Greenville is currently gaining a positive reputation they can only hope to experience someday. :D

I have some previous connections to how rescue missions, etc. work through church, etc.

There is nothing that rescue missions dislike more than things like this, almost as much as just raw handouts. It is a very dehumanizing way to treat someone. While irritating to Greenville, it is a disgusting way to treat another person.

No offense guys, but this is nothing new. Johnson has been saying the same thing for years about homeless being bussed hear. Asheville, N.C. says the same thing as well. So does Myrtle Beach. This is just a scare tactic by the police now to find a "cause" for downtown problems.

While that may indeed be true (and I can understand if it is), I had noticed more vagrants wandering the streets of downtown before the recent hub bub began to be heard and seen in the media. This is a rather "sudden" increase in the problem, which I found disturbing enough to notice. Something must be done to ensure the safety and quality of our most precious attractions.

just my two cents: back about 12 -14 years ago (back when Sparky's was still open...just for reference) me & my gang of misfit friends used to hang out at piazza bergamo at nights and from living downtown now, i would have to say it seems like the homeless and panhandlers were more of a problem back then...but then again i'm not usually out late into the wee hours of the morning anymore so i may be just missing them

I live down behind the Westin and walk to / from work every day. My route used to take me by the bus station but I've since changed so I walk straight up Main Street. It got really old being asked almost every day for money. It's almost always right there at the bus station. I wish there was a way to relocate the bus station to some other part of town.

Mine and my brother's favorite line that we got all the time "Hey can I quarter for a hot dog?" :blink:

if one of them would actually just say they wanted it to get booze i would probably give it to them.....back when i was younger and they would ask for money for food because they haven't eaten in days, we would say "okay lets go to Subway, i'll buy you a sandwich" everytime they would say "oh im not hungry right now"........didn't you just tell me you were hungry :rofl:

Bicycle patrols is an idea that was presented here on U.P. months (if not years) ago, and I know it's been suggested to the City of Greenville at least once in the past two years. :whistling: Uniformed patrolmen on bikes downtown were commonplace when I lived in Orlando. It's good to hear that they've been implemented here in Greenville now, too.

It was such a good idea, that TR is now implementing it too! :thumbsup: I don't see many vagrants on the streets of T.R. though (aside from myself, of course).

I saw that driving along on Main Street this past weekend. My wife asked if it was a meter maid and I reminded her what the meter maid vehicles looked like, but I wasn't sure what exactly this was. I've seen similar vehicles hauling around supplies (water, sodas, etc.) during Fall for Greenville and other festivals. I believe these are called "gators?" It's cool that the city is using them for police patrols now, but I prefer bikes and horses. :lol:

• 5 years later...

I'll be the voice of reason over what's been happening on this sub-forum lately. Just look at who created this thread. ;) Yes, I was Carolinadude9409 several years ago. Time to bring up the dark side stuff again. Let's take a look at the "cracks" Greenville has developed over the past year or two:

-GSP Airport landing Southwest Airlines

-GSP Airport announcing $102 million renovation that will start construction later this year

-New road improvement projects along Brown Street, Church Street, Fairforest Way, etc

-New bike lanes and sidewalks along roads that didn't have them before

-Swamp Rabbit Trail continuing to get better with Cleveland Park section improvements and it expanding next to Greenville Tech and at Lake Conestee

-The Kroc Center opening

-The Bi-Lo Center landing a new ECHL hockey team that went to the playoffs in their inaugural season

-New major mixed use development called ONE announced and under construction that is the largest investment ever downtown

-Other mixed use projects announced and under construction downtown like 100 East and RiverWalk

-Major renovation projects announced with some under construction downtown currently like Piazza Bergamo, Peace Center, and Hyatt

-New USC medical school at GHS now under construction

-Festivals continuing to get larger and better with Artisphere having the most artists apply to be a part of it in 2012 than ever before

-Major shows announced for area venues like Lion King at Peace Center and sold out country concerts at Bi-Lo Center

-New major HQ for two banks (TD and Certus) announced that will bring between 1,500-2,000 jobs to the city

-New great retailers announced and coming here if they haven't already like REI and Anthropologie

-Progress toward implementation of Reedy Square and Reedy River Park to help continue the west side revitalization

I have to say it is really sad and disturbing to see some of our veteran forum members (Skyliner and Gsupstate) who are normally the biggest Greenville boosters around beginning to bash the city. :( Due to this happening out of nowhere all of the sudden, I have to say it doesn't pass the smell test which tells me there is more going on behind the scenes here than what meets the eye. As you all know, I have personally always had my mood swings on this and other forums. I really hope that's the case with these two and they start to come around soon.

• 1 month later...

Something needs to be done now before somebody gets hurt: http://www.wyff4.com/news/30760392/detail.html and http://www2.wspa.com/news/2012/mar/26/shot-fired-crowded-greenville-park-police-say-ar-3483107/

I saw this Saturday night and it was NOT pretty. Left a horrible impression on any visitors that were visiting downtown at this hour. If it was up to me, the curfew would start at 8pm seven days a week and the fine would be a minimum of $400-$500.

Archived