Cell phone use

Rwarky

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cell phones dont bother me unless:

-you're on one in a restaurant being loud

-you have an annoying ring that is loud

-you're buying something/ordering something at a store or whatever and still talking on one.

-you're an 11-year old girl.

I hate them as well. A lot of people who are walking around with them glued to their ears are just as oblivious to the world around them as some people driving around while talking on them. Especially these teenage girls who talk on those things non-stop. I'm really surprised at how many parents out there are shelling out big bucks for their little "angels" to walk around all day glued to their cell phones!

A couple of the items Recchia pointed out:

-you're on one in a restaurant being loud

-you're buying something/ordering something at a store or whatever and still talking on one.

These two are pet peeves of mine more so than the other two on the list.

Great thread... I'll bet the responses you receive will be VERY diverse with some striking similarities thrown in as well.

I was behind a guy a store's checkout line about an hour ago talking and cussing on his phone. Is that really necessary? The last time I went to get my hair cut, a girl there got a call and had it on speaker phone, so we heard everything... and I didn't want to hear any of it. Plus, why would you tell someone when they called earlier you were busy "taking a [CENSORED]" ? The public doesn't need to know!

Indeed. The other day when I was getting my haircut, the woman who was cutting my hair made three calls while cutting my hair. She even spoke on the phone while cutting it. It was uneasy watching her snip away and making an appointment to get her nails done. What usually takes 10 minutes took 30. I thought it was pretty ridiculous. I can understand personal space and privacy, but when youre at your job, unless its an emergency, it can wait.

My pet peeve are the one-handed steering wheel turning-manuevers that go along with talking while driving. Scares the hell out of me when people are so into talking they swerve into the next turning lane. ~yikes~

I just heard that accidents related to cell phone distractions have now surpassed accidents due to driving while intoxicated!

But in most other ways, I think cell phones are cool as hell. Dick Tracy is here:)

Everywhere I go in public these days, there an inumeral amount of people using cell phones. Am I the only who notices this problem? Is anyone else annoyed by the general public's rampant use of cell phones?

Don't worry, when all of those people get brain cancer and the original myth is proven to be fact, you won't have to worry about it anymore.

I don't mind it as long as they aren't being obnoxious. I understand people want to talk with their friends and family in public like on a street or in a mall or something. But when it's in a doctor's waiting room or at a restaurant it's annoying.

Here's my cell phone style

Vibrate or a low ring that's isn't obnoxious

Text message more - if its only a few words you have to say.

Hang up whenever I get on a bus or train

Hang up when getting on elevators and stairwells. In my old building, my room was near a stairwell. People would yack on their cell phones and their voice would echo throughout the stairwell. Hated it!

I didn't have a cell phone until August 2003. One of my cousins was trying to avoid paying $200 to break his contract, so he passed it to me and my mother was urging me to get one for emergencies. Other than that, I was dead against getting one. I don't even use mine much. The only people that call me are either my mother and aunt or places like the doctor or whoever I can get a message and contact them on breaks or something.

Everywhere I go in public these days, there an inumeral amount of people using cell phones. Am I the only who notices this problem? Is anyone else annoyed by the general public's rampant use of cell phones?

I noticed it 5 years ago or more. Lots of people have been using cell phones for many years.

Though define "problem". Problem for you because it annoys you, or problem for society?

I love it when someone sitting near you at a restaurant or coffee shop is listening to music on their cell phone (on speaker). Usually a teeny bopper. Nothing like listening to your favorite crunk from some crappy little speakers on your new Razr.

Well, I use it as a house phone replacement. It's cheaper, portable, and has this nifty camera thing I never use. I never answer my phone in restaurants unless my imaginary wife is having our imaginary baby. If I'm in unfamiliar areas while driving, I'll pull in a parking lot when I'm on the phone though unlike many others I saw driving on the interstate today on their phones going well under the speed limit in the left or center lane(s) nearly causing several accidents. On a side note, what part of

Everywhere you go there are people on cell phones. I stood at an intersection one time and just watched how many people were on cell phones. It seemed 3 out of 5 were chatting away. I absolutely hate people who drive slow and don't pay attention because they are on their cell phones, I just want to ram them (oops, a little road rage).

Some people are just addicted to cell phones. I have a friend who is a text messaging whore. He can text faster than he can type and is always on that thing, I usually have to take his phone away.

I do like cell phones, use mine as my home phone and like the fact that I can contact someone whenever I need, but please, put the phone away when you are checking out, at a restaurant, while driving (if you can't multi task), and at the gym.

I dont mid people talking on cell phones if they dont have an obnoxious ringer and they arent driving or walking. Some people are so obsessed with their phones that they use them all the time. In the doctors office waiting room is the worst, its super quiet so all your hear is this guy talking to his brother about how he can fix his exaust on his car(really happened the other day).

Oh and yeah, i also REALLY hate when someone trys to listen to music on their phones. I just wanna go up to them, slap em, smash their phone, and ask them if they realize that 1)- that is really annoying and 2)- it sounds like s**t.

I can't understand the people that can read and drive. Now that is scary :o

I saw that the other day too. The person was driving a GMC Yukon right behind a Miata. I can't imagine what would've happened if the miata had to stop for something. Stupid multi-tasking soccer moms.

Unfortunately, I have 2 of these things attached to my belt daily. One for work and one personal.

I topped the company charts one month by racking up 4200 minutes in usage. I also had 2100 minutes of personal cell phone usage that month as well. (Yes over 88 hours on the phone in one month!! :shok: )

As far as how I use my phone,

- I don't talk while driving unless my headset is on.

- I don't text and drive

- If there's a sign that says no cell phones allowed, I leave the phone in the car or at least turn it off.

- If I'm in a theater, nice restaurant, meeting, etc. I either turn the phone or ringer off, depending on situation.

- I never talk while being waited on.

- I never talk on the phone while pumping gas ( I don't want to be the person featured in the Weekly World News as the gentleman who proved this theory true.)

Well, I use it as a house phone replacement. It's cheaper, portable, and has this nifty camera thing I never use. I never answer my phone in restaurants unless my imaginary wife is having our imaginary baby.

Ha! You know, no one I don't think has brought up the whole issue of people who want to look busy and important-- what would they do without their cell? And if they are really important and busy, they would go hands-free. Just like Romulox from ATHF, if anyone remembers that...

I guess since I sorta grew up with the cell phone culture, it's no big deal to me, and I don't see what the big deal is. The exception that bugs me, of course, is drivers who don't pay attention.

Indeed. The other day when I was getting my haircut, the woman who was cutting my hair made three calls while cutting my hair. She even spoke on the phone while cutting it. It was uneasy watching her snip away and making an appointment to get her nails done. What usually takes 10 minutes took 30. I thought it was pretty ridiculous. I can understand personal space and privacy, but when youre at your job, unless its an emergency, it can wait.

i hope you didn't tip her. if that happened to me, i would've told her to get off the phone and if her manager wasn't around, i would've called (especially if the place was a chain). that's very unprofessional and could've resulted in a terrible haircut.

in response to the general thread... i don't mind cell phones except in the cases recchia mentioned, but i'll add a couple...

people who use nextels who aren't using them for business

people who talk loudly on them everywhere (or people who spend ten min saying "what? i can't hear you")

people who don't turn their phones to vibrate or off in the theatre

people who answer their phone in the theatre (movie or otherwise)

people who don't turn their phones off in classes

Archived