Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matthew

Forsyth Medical Center Expansion

It looks like Winston-Salem is getting another beautiful tower to add to it's collection. Forsyth Medical Center is expanding with a new north tower that will reach 9 stories and make Forsyth the largest hospital in the Triad, passing Wake Forest University Medical Center for number of beds. The 114 additional beds will transfter from the two storey Medical Park Hospital to the new construction 9 storey building at Forsyth Medical Center as part of the project. The new tower will break ground this fall and could be completed in 2006 or 2007.

Which one is that? Is it the 8 story one at Fourth & Cherry to have been built by Samet, and that is mysteriously referenced from time to time?

When the Dill Pickle Sandwich Shop relocates then we will know Samit is serious about building that 8 story tower. I think a few forum members got excited hearing the mayor or city manager talking about this two weeks ago at a public meeting on downtown development. Both of those buildings Samit wants to demolish for this are over 100 years old. It's a good location though. Its next door to the Nissen Building and Legal Aid Building and will add another building to our skyline. This building will be wicked narrow. It will have a footprint half the size of the O'hanlon Building. I think it's only 50,000 square feet but it will be 8 stories. Sweet! :lol:

Yeah its going up right next door to Wake Forest's new medical center building! I remember Matthew and Yadkinv saying that Hawthorne Hill and Downtown-Midtown are growing into one big skyline and after passing by that site on the bus last week I can see that the two are growing together much faster than even I realized. These two buildings will close the gap between the two.

Yes Downtown-Midtown and Hawthorne Hill skylines are connecting at a fast rate now. The new medical center building is digging a new foundation now and they are already talking about more expansion in West Salem.

It's been quite a while since the last post in this thread but I thought I would update it with a few photos of what the new addition looks like:

IMG_019.jpg

IMG_020.jpg

i viewed the rezoning request for the conference center. we should see construction start on that pretty soon too if all goes well with the city. thanks for the photos.

Not much to update on but I believe the new addition is open. The remaining construction currently going on is the rebuilding of the entrance and landscaping along the main road into the hospital.

Update 11-23-07

2059663303_d967ec0bd5_b.jpg

The Silas Creek Parkway Elks Lodge was sold to Granite/Broyhill LLC for $3.8 million. The developers have said that the land would be developed with a medical park and specialty shops.

I hope they do something with the Days Inn while they're at it. :sick: