Any of you ever visited Greenville, NC

erm1981

Hey i was just looking over at Greenville, NC's website and it looks like a very nice place to visit. The population is 69,000 give a few. Just wondering if any of you have ever visited this place? I know its in the SC forum but thought it would be an interesting topic. If you have been there how does it compare to our greenville in south carolina? The website is here:

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey i was just looking over at Greenville, NC's website and it looks like a very nice place to visit. The population is 69,000 give a few. Just wondering if any of you have ever visited this place? I know its in the SC forum but thought it would be an interesting topic. If you have been there how does it compare to our greenville in south carolina? The website is here:

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/

It's an eastern NC college town. East Carolina is a huge school, second biggest, if not the biggest college in the state. It's also a regional community for the very rural eastern third of the state. Lots of medical centers, regional businesses, etc. The community has a rural mindset, probably a lot like a Florence SC does. I've been to Greenville on the way to the Outer Banks before.

It has a pretty good medical school from what I've been told, and sometimes gets good rankings based on that and being a college town. It's somewhat of a hub for eastern NC, but by no means is it a major city in NC like our Greenville.

Their medical school is well-known for the training it offers in rural medicine, and that should tell you a lot about Greenville, NC and its surrounding areas. In terms of the medical school's other strengths, I am not sure beyond that. It is a solid public medical school, but nothing to write home about. I would put both of our SC medical schools ahead of ECU in terms of education and reputation.

My own impression (and this is based entirely on what I remember seeing on the TV after Hurricane Floyd) is that it's extremely rual over there. I think the comparison to Anderson is probably spot on.

South of Maine, eastern North Carolina is the most rural area in the eastern US. It's a huge, huge piece of territory. Hyde County, NC, just to the east, has more deer than people, and probably as many black bears as people.

Anderson, SC may not be quite the comparison. Due to it being a center of the rural economy, Greenville, NC is closer in comparison to Florence, SC. It's a stop along the way to the beach for many, it has a nice regional university, good medical centers, etc.

i went to a couple of parties at ECU when I was in high school. I didn't like the feel of it. It is a college town but not on the level of Chapel Hill though. Due to it has no urban core or anything to pull all of the area toghether. Not a big fan of the city at all. When I lived in Hampton Va I would sometimes take US 13/17 which pretty much takes you through the eastern towns and cities of NC up to the Va state line. I prefer the older quaint towns along the way...Elizabeth City, Hertford, Edenton. Goldsboro, Kinston, Greenville just don't appeal to me. The only city that far east and north I do like is Rocky Mount. It has a small urban feel to it and has an edge to it. Hardees used to be headquarted there FYI.....

It's an eastern NC college town. East Carolina is a huge school, second biggest, if not the biggest college in the state.

It's not quite the largest in the state. It only recently "passed" Chapel Hill as the second largest but has a long way to go to become larger than NC State.

I have to agree with NcSc though, Greenville just doesn't have the college town feel. It reminds me of University City in Charlotte where I go to school. There's a lot to do, it just doesn't feel like you're near a college. There's no core and there aren't nearly as many people walking around with friends off campus like in CH and NCSU, to name a few. The best college town in NC is definatelly Boone where ASU is.

Greenville, SC to me feels more like a city rather than G,NC which to me is trying too hard to be a city. The 85 corridor shows a lot of potential for growth in the next few decades as the Charlotte and Atlanta metros become more influential.

It's not quite the largest in the state. It only recently "passed" Chapel Hill as the second largest but has a long way to go to become larger than NC State.

I have to agree with NcSc though, Greenville just doesn't have the college town feel. It reminds me of University City in Charlotte where I go to school. There's a lot to do, it just doesn't feel like you're near a college. There's no core and there aren't nearly as many people walking around with friends off campus like in CH and NCSU, to name a few. The best college town in NC is definatelly Boone where ASU is.

Greenville, SC to me feels more like a city rather than G,NC which to me is trying too hard to be a city. The 85 corridor shows a lot of potential for growth in the next few decades as the Charlotte and Atlanta metros become more influential.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. At this point, though, Greenville's growth really isn't dependent upon Atlanta and Charlotte. :thumbsup:

^I really don't see how it ever has been. Sometimes I think too much is made of the city's location on I-85 in terms of its present-day growth and influence. Sure I know that interstates contribute to growth, but Shelby, NC is also on I-85 and it isn't exactly booming.

Shelby is too close to Charlotte to 'boom'. I think that is a crucial difference.

My parents live in Greenville and they have moved around quite a bit, mostly in the South. They really love Greenville. They both work for ECU and are from Tallahassee originally. Greenville reminds them a lot of what Tallahassee was like when they were younger. I would not say that Greenville is the place for young professionals, but is great for families...or college kids.

It kind of feels like one big suburb. It has a very small downtown area that butts right up to campus. It has a lot of potential, but the city has not done enough to attract business there and I think a lot of businesses shy away from the campus proximity as opposed to neighborhoods. The area around the river downtown is quite nice though.

I would not put in the same class as Greenville SC at all. They are totally different, though Greenville NC is growing a lot...it seems to be growing out, not up.

That said.....GO PIRATES...BEAT NAVY!!!

Shelby is too close to Charlotte to 'boom'. I think that is a crucial difference.

That's exactly it, cities that are close to Charlotte don't stand a chance to have their own 'boom' on the level that cities outside of the direct metro do. I wasn't saying that Greenville was a product of Charlotte or Atlanta, their growth will only help the growth of Greenville as commerce increases between the two. Thus, Greenville sits in a very good spot to continue consistent growth for decades to come.

I think that is why Greenville-spartanburg-anderson will continue to lead the state in population increases. The 85 corridor is just a more powerful boost to have near a city and greenville is between two of the fastest growing cities in the south. People that dont want to go to atlanta or charlotte might just check out greenville and like it here a little more. I live near powdersville in anderson county and i think someday we might be in the greenville city limits. We have some very tough annexation rules. IN SC you have to have i believe 75% or 100% of the majority agree on annexation before it can become a part of the city. That makes it very hard for us to grow number wise like some of our North Carolinian Peer Cities. Common SC get with the program!!!!

-Evan

Shelby is not located on 85. Its on US-74, which is an important highway in the area. I think its starting to become an exurb of Charlotte to an extent (its in the CSA now).

Ive never been to Greenville NC, and all I knew about it before hand was that Eastern Carolina was there.... I might make it a point to stop by though.

It is interesting that Gville NC is larger than Gville SC in terms of city population, any many people think that NC's is larger based on this fact...

Don't you hate it however when people who are not from around here refer to Greenville,SC as Greenville,NC? I hear this on national newscasts from time to time and one time I heard a comedian (I think it was Paula Poundstone in the early 90's) performing at Furman keep refering to Greenville,SC as Greensboro, NC. :blink:

Archived