Bossier schools face language barrier due to growth

dimebag1980

The Bossier Parish School System is bursting at its seams with students these days, increasing demand for new school construction. With this growth arises a new problem: language barriers. According to the following article, around 20 different languages are spoken by students in the Bossier Parish School System and it's becoming an issue for teachers and students alike.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/3719436.html

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I find it very interesting. I tend to pay attention to this type of stuff because my metro has historically been almost all white. But we are really starting to see quite a few changes as well, including some issues related to this topic. I certainly welcome it because I really would like to see my area become more of a 'melting pot'. Not sure what type of reaction people will have down there. But hopefully this won't cause any problems.

Personally I find it very interesting. I tend to pay attention to this type of stuff because my metro has historically been almost all white. But we are really starting to see quite a few changes as well, including some issues related to this topic. I certainly welcome it because I really would like to see my area become more of a 'melting pot'. Not sure what type of reaction people will have down there. But hopefully this won't cause any problems.

Down here? It's not a problem at all. For at least the last decade Bossier has steadily been becoming more diverse than Shreveport. There have always been more Hispanics in Bossier in Shreveport, but it seems that more people from various cultures are finding Bossier to be a good place to live. Shreveport has its share, though, no doubt. My old apartment complex was VERY multicultural. There were lots of whites, a few blacks, a lot of people from Middle Eastern countries, and some Asians. It was because of where the apartment complex was located, being near two major medical centers and a college campus.

Bossier, however, has a much higher quality of life and seems to be more accepting, these days, than Shreveport. Shreveport's population is mostly black, Bossier's is mostly white. But it definitely seems that Bossier is the more culturally diverse city in the metro, and that's pushing more and more toward Benton as well.

Archived