DTFW: The Carnegie

eastsider

thecarnegiekj2.jpg

The Carnegie is a new 16-story, 300,000 sf office building planned for the corner of Lamar & East Thrird Streets in the Sundance Square area of downtown Fort Worth. EOG Resources Inc. has already committed to lease 50,000 sf of space in the building. Construction on The Carnegie will begin in January 2007 and should be complete in June 2008.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram: Ed Bass to lead tower project

Fort Worth Business Press: Build it and they will come: Planned tower is filling up

• 4 months later...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plans were released today for The Carnegie in downtown Fort Worth, The 16-story building will be 280,000 sf with a two story domed lobby and 12,549 sf of ground level retail. EOG Resources will be leasing 100,000 sf of office space in the building. The Carnegie is scheduled to be complete in spring 2008.

Dallas Business Journal: Plans for Carnegie Building released

• 6 months later...

No wonder I like this guy's work so much; he designed the very classy Chapman Cultural Center in nearby Spartanburg, SC! So I've seen his handiwork first hand. I'm VERY impressed with this guy. The brick detailing in the Carnegie impresses me a lot; I didn't think they built them like that anymore.

No they don't make them like this anymore. This building is definitely a throwback. I know some people here in Greenville (you know the ones, Krazee) that would call this building bland and boring (oddly enough, they're the same ones that complain about the 98 East McBee redesign...which I admit, I don't care for either, but I'm off topic here...). The crown could use a little punch on the Carnegie, but that's the only thing I can really say. I like the overall look of this one. I'm sure there will be more modern infill and lost of glass as time goes on, so this will be a nice contrast to that.

I'm a big fan of Schwarz's - his buildings are traditional, of high quality, have great pedestrian appeal and street interaction, and never veer into cartoonishness. The last office building he did here, the Chase Bank Building from 2002 around the corner from the Carnegie site, is another favorite. They went crazy with the brickwork on this one, and I love it:

1.jpg

2.jpg

749099147_9dcf62d59c.jpg

749955060_0ee43c02c3.jpg

749097637_7b8afd2a12.jpg

749095159_f47c156a1a.jpg

Yes, I am in love! :)

I don't understand how anyone could think architecture like this is bland and boring. Granted, admittedly I didn't pay much attention to architecture before becoming a member here, but since then I have come to appreciate what buildings like this do for a city.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates from today - the Carnegie's 8th floor is now underway. Halfway there!

1097312016_2d7a7445c5_o.jpg

This shot is from the entrance of the Fort Worth Public Library, also designed by David Schwarz. Just past the Carnegie, you can see an Art Deco Revival-style parking garage and the top of the Chase Bank Building mentioned earlier in this thread, both also designed by Mr. Schwarz:

1096217693_232ab57704_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived