Cityscape construction thread

MJLO

Today has been a good day for me, i've been researching alot. Still haven't been able to get out and get some of those pictures I used to take. I'm wondering about CityScape. Has anything new come out about it lately? Is it dead in the water. I don't see it as anything more than a fantasy plan. But it sounded like more could come from it. But with the lackluster construction marked downtown. It makes me wonder if something on that scale could be built. Other cities sure. But there's such a lack of focus on downtown Phoenix construction. With so much developement going on in the valley. I wonder if there is truly a market for such a project.

What do you guys know?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not huge news...but at least there still seems to be talks ongoing about the project...

Downtown plan points to park changes

Monica Alonzo-Dunsmoor

The Arizona Republic

Aug. 23, 2006 12:00 AM

DOWNTOWN PHOENIX - The city's Parks and Recreation Board will get an update on a commercial development project that will likely result in major changes to Patriots Square Park at Central Avenue and Washington Street.

The $900 million mixed-use project, called CityScape, will include retail and condominium space and is expected to encompass three city blocks at the southern end of downtown. The park sits on one of those blocks.

The project's developers are trying to reach an agreement with both the city's Parks and Recreation Department and its advisory board about the best use for the facility. The goal is to incorporate the other elements of the development plan while still maintaining some of the public space that the park currently offers. Negotiations on the project are ongoing at City Hall. Developers have said they believe they will need Phoenix's assistance to make the deal financially feasible.

Deputy City Manager David Krietor said there would be an opportunity for public input on the park changes and the retail project in the coming months. The proposal will ultimately go to the Phoenix City Council for final approval.

The parks board meeting is open to the public and will take place at 5 p.m.Thursday at the City Council Chambers, 200 W. Jefferson St.

The proposed high-rise complex would contain four towers, about 1,200 condominium units and up to 100,000 square feet for a public plaza. It would also include a 150-room boutique hotel and retail and office space.

thanks hx_guy

Make sure that when you are posting articles that you quote only part of the article and provide a link for the rest. UP guidelines can be sticklers for that kind of thing. But you're right about that not saying very much about the news part of it all. It seems to be on shakey ground if you ask me.

• 3 weeks later...

"CityScape, with its four towers that could soar as high as 400 feet, is critical to Phoenix's downtown development goals"

Exactly!

All I can suggest is that you go to the public meetings and try to offset the others. I bet that most people in Phoenix would support this, but the vocalizations are mostly coming from the side against the project.

• 3 weeks later...

Cityscape is supposed to be approved on Wednesday of next week, however- it looks like PSP will not be handed over in it's entirety.

It looks like approximately 1/3 of the park will be "given" to RED for redevelopment, along with 3/4ths of the parking garage if I'm not mistaken.

Kinda cool huh? A Billion Dollar investment in our core?

This was in the Daily Star today:

Phoenix City Council approves $900M downtown CityScape

I'm sure it's in the Republic as well.

What's the deal with this?

"The city will invest in the project, purchasing an underground parking structure and paying for repairs on a parking garage at a cost of $96.5 million."

So are they buying two structures? Are these already used by other buildings?

heard Pat McMahon, talking about CityScape being approved on KTAR today. He gave a pointed commentary in favor of it being built. What he said is alot of what I have been saying since I've been here. The project is good for the city, giving downtown the little bit more it needs to get it well on the way to where it should be, given it's size. He layed it down pretty good about the people who have been standing in the way of progress in the Valley for decades. I knew I wasn't crazy.

• 1 month later...

I know that CityScape has been approved, does anyone know where it stands on moving into the construction phase? Or could it still be subject to cancelation given the nature of the business. I'm just not sure if it's a done deal or not.

• 2 weeks later...
I emailed John Bacon recently and he replied back with...

"We are currently working through the public input process with the Parks Board on the re-deign of Patriots Park. There are a series of public meetings that will be held during the next few months. I would encourage you to participate in these if you are available. We hope to be able to announce the dates/locations very soon.

We continue to talk to a targeted group of retailers, but have no plans for additional announcements at this time.

Progress continues on the design of the parking garage.

We hope to have additional updates on the Web site soon.

Thanks."

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

406223809_829efb5754.jpg

I give you vacant lots, and a scattered view of Patriots park, hopefully in the coming months, this angle will be full of dirt excavators, and cranes, as four of Phoenix's tallest will rise.

• 2 months later...

Novare announced that they will be entering the Phoenix market by the end of this year. They are one of the nations largest builders of high-rise condos, and are based in Atlanta. I believe CityScape is where they will build their first project. The good thing about Novare is that they typically do multiple highrises in the markets they enter.

http://www.novaregroup.com

• 3 weeks later...

Some recent rumors about CityScape...

"-He expects shovels to be in the ground in two months.

-He expects delivery to tenants around Fall '09

-He expects stores to open for business in early 2010.

-He confirmed discussions with Changing Hands.

-A.J.'s will be two-stories, 10,000 square feet on each level.

-The residential tower will be the tallest building downtown (and thus in the state) at 42-44 floors (no height given in feet). My guess...at least 500', but probably not much more.

-They are going hard after one of a kind, specialty retailers.

-Bashas is also committed to open (a Bashas) near the ASU campus downtown.

-He showed me new renderings that have not been released to the public yet, but says new announcements will be forthcoming shortly."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived