Cityscape construction thread

MJLO

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been waiting for CityScape to submit for FAA height clearance and it looks like they finally did!

Not only is it another step closer to development, but it also gives us a definite on the height of each building and an estimated build time.

Study (ASN): 2007-AWP-5520-OE

Work Schedule: 10/01/2007 to 12/15/2009

Other Description: 45 Story Hotel/ Condo Tower

Structure Height: 510 ft.

Study (ASN): 2007-AWP-5521-OE

Work Schedule: 10/01/2007 to 12/15/2009

Other Description: 27 Story Office Tower

Structure Height: 375 ft.

Im gonna have to get down there and take some pics. How does the whole phase thing work? is it once they finally get done with phase 1 they'll start phase 2 or will they ever be under construction at the same time? also with the parking garage under patriots square, will it meet the az regulations for a safe building? its kinda old right?

This is a total guess, but from the time table they have given us, it looks as though Phase II will start after Phase I is complete.

The whole project is supposed to be finished by late 2011. Phase I's time table is October 2007 - December 2009, which would lead me to believe that Phase II would be late 2009 - late 2011. Also, I'm sure it's very dependent of how Phase I will sell. I don't doubt that Phase I will happen, but we'll have to see about the rest.

As for the parking garage, part of the project includes fixing the garage. From what I've heard, the garage was originally built to withstand having a 20 story building built on top of it, so safety isn't an issue. They need to fix somethings like water leaks and such.

There's always an issue. Is the city financing part of the parking garage refurbishment and it will thus be available for public use, or is it all privately funded?

It does seem like bad timing for this to be going up since they'll be relying on condo sales. I think just the sheer novelty of owning a tower condo in Downtown Phoenix will sell them, but it won't sell nearly as well as it would if they had gotten it up by '06.

There's always an issue. Is the city financing part of the parking garage refurbishment and it will thus be available for public use, or is it all privately funded?

It does seem like bad timing for this to be going up since they'll be relying on condo sales. I think just the sheer novelty of owning a tower condo in Downtown Phoenix will sell them, but it won't sell nearly as well as it would if they had gotten it up by '06.

Well not to mention that, but those condo's will be finished after Phase one of LRT is up and running and the other lines are following fairly close. Which is why I don't see to much of a problem with them still building condo's downtown, we are just riding the first wave of the kind of infill that happens with it.

Are the parking garages at the malls in the Valley used for Park & Rides right now?

I'm all about the mixed-use, self-containment. I just don't know whether or not the selling points are going to be worth the price. Aren't they going to start at something like $350k for a one bedroom, or have they not gotten into that yet? I guess that's still cheaper than most new homes in the Valley and that it's not in flippin' Anthem or Avondale.

Getting a grocery in there should, at the least, open up the whole sector for tons of residential growth.

That's what we need here in Tucson and I'm appalled that no one seems to understand this. There are so many examples out there.

I think that's certainly something Phoenix needs to look into. First Fridays is just up the street and that has quite a bit of outdoor live music, but there's nothing in actual Downtown right now.

A regular outdoor festival is something that, I think, every city needs in its Downtown.

• 4 weeks later...

From CityScapes website:

CityScape to Break Ground

On Monday, October 22, the CityScape project team will break ground on the 2.5 million-square-foot, mixed use project. Check back for new announcements and project updates!

And bigger news from AZCentral.com:

Kimpton plans to open Phoenix boutique hotel

Jahna Berry

The Arizona Republic

Oct. 19, 2007 02:22 PM

Kimpton Hotels, a San Francisco boutique hotel chain plans to open a hotel in downtown Phoenix, a company spokeswoman confirmed on Friday.

The hotel, which will be part of CityScape, will have about 250 beds and will include condominiums, said spokeswoman Jamie Law.

On Monday, developers Red Development LLC and CDK Partners LLC will break ground on a $900 million, three-block development in the heart of Phoenix. The development will include apartments, shops, restaurants and offices.

CityScape developers plan to announce deal with Kimpton and a financial services firm during groundbreaking festivities on Monday.

Local media reports have indicated that Wachovia Corp. plan to announce Monday a Phoenix expansion - the same day as the CityScape groundbreaking.

Archived