Guilford,Davie lead Triad in Housing Growth

DCMetroRaleigh

Guilford County outpaced Forsyth County in housing growth from July 1, 2004, to July 1, 2005, according to recently released estimates by the U.S. Census Bureau.

Guilford County's housing stock increased 2.3 percent, or 4,535 units, to 200,648 units, ranking it No. 1 in the region. For the same period the previous year, Guilford County's rate of growth in the number of housing units rose 1.7 percent.

Other counties in this region that ranked in the top five with the highest rate of growth in housing stock were Davie in second place; Forsyth, third; Ashe, fourth; and Alleghany, fifth.

Forsyth County had an estimated 146,751 units, a 2 percent increase, or 2,912 units. That compares with an increase of 1.7 percent from 2003 to 2004.

The Triad was not the highest growth area in North Carolina. Counties around Charlotte and at the coast did well.

Brunswick County had the highest rate of growth in the state, rising 5.8 percent from 61,116 units in 2004 to 64,647 in 2005. Other counties with strong growth included Union County, up 5.5 percent; Currituck County, up 4.2 percent; Wake County and New Hanover County, each up 3.8 percent; and Iredell County, up 3.6percent.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1149190159658

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can certainly understand Currituck increase. The HR metro is slowly creeping its way south. Not only that the prices of houses and of course the pull of the outer banks is drawing people in from north of the border. If the two states ever looked at linking Raleigh and Norfolk then expect that growth to increase since hwy 17 and 258 suck. I wish an interstate spur (note I did say wish) or a turnpike or divided hwy option would be considered up there. Taking 95 to 58 across to HR is a little out of the way.

Does eastern Guilford have any plans on infrastructure improvements. I remember going to Burlington using state roads instead of 40/85. I can't imagine continued growth there with same type of roads. Of course that leads to the sprawl debate but it is a catch 22.

Planning for widening Hwy 70 may begin this fall with construction set to begin in 8 years. Knowing NCDOT, we will be knocking on the door of the year 2020 before we see it completed. If no other infrastructure changes are planned between the 2 cities, the whole area will be a big cluster f--- of traffic. 70 needs to be widened now.

Does eastern Guilford have any plans on infrastructure improvements. I remember going to Burlington using state roads instead of 40/85. I can't imagine continued growth there with same type of roads. Of course that leads to the sprawl debate but it is a catch 22.

Archived