Non-Smoking Restaurants in North Carolina

cranberries

The link between second-hand smoke and cancer is dubious. Allergies aside, I'm skeptical it would be possible to get any long term lung problems from brief exposure to trace amounts of tar and carbon monoxide.

http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35422

The current Surgeon General's Report concluded that scientific evidence indicates that there is no risk-free level of exposure to second hand smoke.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Charlotte Business Journal had an article online today saying that nearly two-thirds of all NC residents are in favor of a state-wide smoking ban:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stori...html?from_rss=1

I certainly hope something sweeps the state in the coming years to make it hard to smoke anywhere in public unless it is at least a designated smoking zone.

Here is a list of chemicals in a typical cigarette for those who think it is harmless:

benzene, formaldehyde, ammonia, acetone, tar, nicotine, carbon monoxide, and arsenic

Tell me again why those who do not smoke should be put in a position where they have to come in contact with those who do smoke? This has been the debate for a long time and it is hard to come up with a solid answer to solve the problems.

• 2 years later...

I can't believe I'm typing this, but NC is very close to actually having a smoking ban in all restaurants. I believe the current version also bans smoking in bars if it allows patrons under 18 years of age. I'm thrilled that this is so close to passing considering it is the standard in a lot of other states. I'm looking forward to reduced waits for seats at restaurants (typically the smoking section has immediate availability but you have to wait for non-smoking). The partitions in restaurants (i.e. Cracker Barrel) do nothing IMO so this is a godsend.

Looks like this is going to get signed into law. The house approved the final version earlier today and now it moves on to Perdue to sign which she said she will do. I can't believe this is happening in our tobacco rich state!

The final version that actually passed bans it in all restaurants and bars. (The media says there's an exemption for "private clubs"...but if you read the fine print, it says clearly Nonprofit clubs....ie, the local Elks Lodge or a country club. ) The only for-profit bars exempted are those classed as "Cigar Bars", which are defined as those that make at least 25% of their income from cigar sales. (Interestingly, the exemptions are so narrow that even hookah bars will go out of business unless they have an outdoor patio.)

The final version that actually passed bans it in all restaurants and bars. (The media says there's an exemption for "private clubs"...but if you read the fine print, it says clearly Nonprofit clubs....ie, the local Elks Lodge or a country club. ) The only for-profit bars exempted are those classed as "Cigar Bars", which are defined as those that make at least 25% of their income from cigar sales. (Interestingly, the exemptions are so narrow that even hookah bars will go out of business unless they have an outdoor patio.)

Ah, that's great! With so many versions I must have gotten confused as to which one actually made it through. :)

Banning smoking in restaurants is kind of silly in my opinion. It should be left up to individual establishments; there are plenty of bars and restaurants that do this now without a law. What needs to be ban is most of what's SERVED (grease and sugar galore); this is exponentially more dangerous than second hand smoke. In 100 years, maybe the only thing you'll be able to order at a restaurant is TOFU or some derivative of TOFU.

In Kennesaw, GA (TGIFs), the bar area has been glassed-off from the dining area; where smoking is allowed. Plenty of ventilation.

America can be so hypocritical at times, personally, I think alcoholism impacts more lives than smoking (work, family, DWIs, etc); and I'm speaking from experience.

My favorite bar in college (in Virginia) had a no smoking rule until 10pm. I thought it worked out well. The place was well ventilated enough that you wouldn't know they allowed smoking at all if you were just in there for lunch or dinner, but you could smoke if you were out late having a few drinks.

• 4 weeks later...
In Kennesaw, GA (TGIFs), the bar area has been glassed-off from the dining area; where smoking is allowed. Plenty of ventilation.

America can be so hypocritical at times, personally, I think alcoholism impacts more lives than smoking (work, family, DWIs, etc); and I'm speaking from experience.

I wouldn't be so against smoking in restaurants if smokers were the only ones that had to endure the heavy cloud of cigarette smoke. One big difference between serving unhealthy foods and letting you smoke amongst non-smokers...you can choose a healthier choice from the menu, you can't exactly choose for the person not to smoke. Of course you could choose to go to another restaurant and avoid the one that has smoking, but why should anyone have to be restricted to restaurants that only offered non-smoking dining?

Non-smoking in restaurants levels the playing field for all restaurants and customers. You're not going risk your health if someone next to you chooses the 100g of fat dinner plate, but you will by sitting in a non-smoking section and many restaurants as most don't have good ventilation and have a joke of a partition.

Well, I look forward to sitting in Cup A Joe without the huge cloud of smoke mucking the place up.

I'm still very angry that they made exceptions for cigar bars but not hookah bars though. Do NC legislators even know what a hookah bar is?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
agreed. And I'm not even a smoker. If I remember correctly, these restaurants and bars are private establishments and should have the right to dictate whether smoking should be allowed or not in their own place. The customer base decide whether or not to patronize the place because of smoking/no smoking rule. If a customer does agree with it, he/she does not have to eat or drink there. Let the free market decide.

Well at this point it makes no sense to argue. The ban will be in place come January. NC will then join the majority of the states who have bans. Which also includes the majority of industrialized nations. Pretty soon even most third world countries will have these bans....many do already.

Kinda moot to argue now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived