Charlotte too boring to host a super bowl?

Bradley89

NCB...your 80,000 number could be a pre-Katrina number, and it could be a "metro" number. The NoLa Visitors Board didn't make it clear if their 27,000 number was just for NoLa of the entire metro. They also didn't mention if that number reflected "new" numbers post-Katrina. I think it's obvious that the Charlotte number is for the metro just because of the way it's worded. I'm sure all those rooms are not just in the city limits. So...it could be an apples to oranges comparison anyway. Who Knows?!

The 27,000 rooms is for the city of New Orleans post-Katrina, pre-Katrina the hotel room count was 38,338.

The 30,000 listed for Charlotte is for the entire metro area, 22,651 rooms are within Meck county, not sure about the city limits.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was actually Jerry Richardson promising to the fans that they would get to the superbowl in 10 years, which they made good on.

No, I believe he said the Panthers would win one in 10 years, which didn't happen. What good is getting there without winning it? Just ask the Bills. In the Panther's defense though, he should have given them 15 years to win one, not just 10. It took the Bucs over 20 years to win one.

No, I believe he said the Panthers would win one in 10 years, which didn't happen. What good is getting there without winning it? Just ask the Bills. In the Panther's defense though, he should have given them 15 years to win one, not just 10. It took the Bucs over 20 years to win one.

Right...they didn't win one until their 27th year. And there are plenty of teams still looking for their first - including the Panthers, 15 out of 32 teams have never won the Super Bowl.

• 1 month later...

I can definitely confirm the "too cold" reason.

On a tour of BOA in late November 2004 on a beautiful day, were told the same thing by the tour guide. They have built a gigantic press box which sits 2/3rds empty on regular season game days in the hopes that someday the NFL will get real.

We laughed openly as we are from Canada and they hold outdoor Grey Cups (equiv. of Superbowl for CFL) in temperatures at or below 0 F.

As always, the Superbowl is to entertain the corporates, real football fans would freeze their butts regardless - but that's a differnt rant entirely ;)

They said Regina (Saskatchewan Canada) - my hometown - would never get the Grey Cup either because it's too boring.... well, guess what - the CFL finally gave in and we had our first one in 1995 and it still held up as one of the best hosted Grey Cups EVER and we've had another one since in 2003 with equally favourable results. In fact, we're strongly in the running for the 100th Grey Cup ever... so NEVER SAY NEVER!!!!

Then grant NY a super bowl as soon as their new stadium is built.

I believe NYC is building a domed stadium in Manhattan as aprt of a huge redevelopment project. At least that was the plan at one time. Hell, even Arizona has a dome!!! :blink: I think JAX is probably the closest city with an outdoor stadium to host the SB.

The NFL's rules apparently say that a city can host a Super Bowl with an open air stadium if said city has an average daily high temperature of at least 50 in February. According to weather.com, the average for Charlotte in that month is 56. So the cold weather rule isn't really the reason for not having one here.

Metro, you make a very good point. But even regardless of our temperature, Charlotte is nowhere near capable of hosting a Super Bowl at this point. Hotels are probably our biggest limiting factor right now. Coastal cities have been able to slide past this rule because cruiseliners can be brought in to accomodate for them. We'll have to see some kind of major hotel boom before the NFL will consider Charlotte.

I believe NYC is building a domed stadium in Manhattan as aprt of a huge redevelopment project. At least that was the plan at one time.

FYI - The domed stadium proposal for Manhattan was shot down last year. The 2 NY area football teams are going to build a shared stadium in New Jersey.

Haven't the games already been promised out pass that point?

The Super Bowl has been awarded as far out as 2010, Super Bowl XLIV. It will be played in South Florida. http://www.superbowl.com/features/futuresites

Bids have been taken for later years, up to 2015 I believe.

You are correct about St. Louis planning a bid for 2015. It was withdrawn after they failed to get a referendum passed to improve Arrowhead Stadium.

Good find Metro on the temperature rule. I always believed we were too cold, but that clearly isn't an obstacle. That's great news. Everything else is fixable!

• 3 years later...

I don't buy the cold weather thing. Detroit hosted a few years ago. Indianapolis is going to host in a few years and they are similar to Charlotte in size. Not having enough hotel rooms is a more legitimate reason.

Indi and Detroit both have domes, we would need a dome on our stadium first before the number of hotel rooms in the city would become an issue.

This thread may be getting off topic, but I thought I would chime in... We are talking FOOTBALL, right? I add my voice to not buying the cold argument. The lack of enough hotel rooms are definitely an issue - but not the weather in Charlotte in January. I say that with certainty.

It has been stated, BY NFL OFFICIALS, that the optimum superbowl setting is in a city with either a dome or an average january temperature of 70 degrees. Charlotte is actually cold at night in january...There is no reason but to buy the weather issue. Nobody is going to pay 500+ dollars a seat to not be comfortable...

It has been stated, BY NFL OFFICIALS, that the optimum superbowl setting is in a city with either a dome or an average january temperature of 70 degrees. Charlotte is actually cold at night in january...There is no reason but to buy the weather issue. Nobody is going to pay 500+ dollars a seat to not be comfortable... I say this with certainty...

I was told by a NFL official that a superbowl will not be held in an arena where their is no dome roof. This has been the policy for the last decade. So, Charlotte is out.

VERY untrue. 80% in the last ten years have been in open air environments. and this years is outdoors as well, however, they have all been in Florida or Arizona, or sunny san diego...

And to further prove my point. The Superbowl has been around since 1967 and Pasadena is the furthest north city with an outdoor stadium to EVER host the Superbowl. Average high in pasadena is 65 degrees. average high in charlotte is 50, its also not been held at there in 20 years.

VERY untrue. 80% in the last ten years have been in open air environments. and this years is outdoors as well, however, they have all been in Florida or Arizona, or sunny san diego...

And to further prove my point. The Superbowl has been around since 1967 and Pasadena is the furthest north city with an outdoor stadium to EVER host the Superbowl. Average high in pasadena is 65 degrees. average high in charlotte is 50, its also not been held at there in 20 years.

I probably was given a half truth. Based on previous postings, the dome is required if the average temperature during Superbowl season is below a certain temperature. That makes sense to me.

I probably was given a half truth. Based on previous postings, the dome is required if the average temperature during Superbowl season is below a certain temperature. That makes sense to me.

It is temp. that rules out CLT. Other than that, a lack of downtown hotels. But in my (almost completely unbiased) opinion, Charlotte has a much better and vibrant downtown than recent hosts Jacksonville and Tampa. This may not has been the case in the 90's, but I've been to both in the past few years and I'd rate Charlotte's downtown above these.

It is temp. that rules out CLT. Other than that, a lack of downtown hotels. But in my (almost completely unbiased) opinion, Charlotte has a much better and vibrant downtown than recent hosts Jacksonville and Tampa. This may not has been the case in the 90's, but I've been to both in the past few years and I'd rate Charlotte's downtown above these.

I wholeheartedly agree about Jacksonville. I've never been to Tampa, but downtown Jacksonville did not compare to Charlotte a couple of years ago when I went down to see the Jags play the Panthers. On the other hand, on that particular day, the Panthers did not compare to the Jags...it was a loss. Charlotte def. knows how to host an event. We got high marks 16 (give or take) years ago when we hosted the Final Four, and things have changed drastically since then uptown. Speed Street always gets high marks as well as any ACC tournament we ever host. While the Super Bowl takes it to another level, I am totally confident that the city would take their efforts to another level as well.

To me, Charlotte's weather would be fine in Jan/Feb to host the game, but I'm not a decision maker. I wish there was a way to get a definitive answer on this. The number of hotel rooms will continue to grow, and if there's ever a serious bid for the Super Bowl, we can get creative in solving that problem. Jacksonville brought in cruise ships to solve their lack of hotel rooms (extremely smart idea). I think we could at least match that level of problem solving if need be.

Archived