IN PROGRESS: Hope Artiste Village

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have run by this all the time, and have always thought, "Wow, what a great complex this is... How can someone not snap this up?"

I'm glad to hear it'll have a future. Until looking at that aerial shot, I never knew it was so long, and I didn't know there was a building in the back too. The square footage must be impressive!

- Garris

From the Pawtucket Times: "Project architect Dana Newbrook of city firm ai design ltd. noted [that the project] will later incorporate a 225,000 square foot mill just over the city line on Rand Street in Central Falls, at about $38 million. USG also just broke ground on 150 condo units in the former Greystone Mill in North Providence, and is taking a 156-unit proposal to the Providence Zoning Board on Aug. 29 for a Valley Street mill once home to U.S. Rubber."

So USG is doing 1. Hope Webbing 2. Greystone Mill 3. Valley St. and 4. Rand Street in Central Falls.

I wonder if the Rand Streeet project is the same Paramount Greeting Cards building that USG decided not to do because of uncertainty over the historic tax credits.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am writing from the "Hope Artiste Village" the new home for New Harvest Coffee Roasters. We came here from Rumford where we roasted for 5 years in a great old mill building that will soon be residential condos. Shocking.

So we built out about 3,000 square feet of this massive complex, our neighbors include Seven Stars bakery (just production in their amazing 7,000 sq. ft space), Ahlers Design (also kicked out of Rumford for res. condos), some furniture designers, some art studios, a martial art studio....

Plans are pretty impressive for the complex with talk of not only light industrial and artist work space but artist live/work space, retail, restaurants etc.

Hopefully it will become a space that not only attracts those of us who are in production and make things but also for those who provide services to the community. There is talk of a theater for performances, eateries etc.

We'll see......

I wonder if I'll be able to smell the coffee here in the Summit neighborhood. No joke. When the Hope Webbing place had a candy factory several years ago I could smell the corn syrup when the weather conditions were just right.

We have an afterburner/oxidizer that incinerates smoke and chaff so I'm sorry/happy? to say no smell should float on over to you. As much as some people love the smell of roasted coffee, the oxidizer makes us better neighbors to people and the enviroment.

That said our hallway may get you a bit jittery but the smell of warm bread from Seven Stars will help you calm down.

We have an afterburner/oxidizer that incinerates smoke and chaff so I'm sorry/happy? to say no smell should float on over to you. As much as some people love the smell of roasted coffee, the oxidizer makes us better neighbors to people and the enviroment.

That said our hallway may get you a bit jittery but the smell of warm bread from Seven Stars will help you calm down.

I am writing from the "Hope Artiste Village" the new home for New Harvest Coffee Roasters. We came here from Rumford where we roasted for 5 years in a great old mill building that will soon be residential condos. Shocking.

So we built out about 3,000 square feet of this massive complex, our neighbors include Seven Stars bakery (just production in their amazing 7,000 sq. ft space), Ahlers Design (also kicked out of Rumford for res. condos), some furniture designers, some art studios, a martial art studio....

Plans are pretty impressive for the complex with talk of not only light industrial and artist work space but artist live/work space, retail, restaurants etc.

Hopefully it will become a space that not only attracts those of us who are in production and make things but also for those who provide services to the community. There is talk of a theater for performances, eateries etc.

We'll see......

• 1 month later...

For those that are interested, Pawtucket Open Studios "First Annual Professional Meeting Days" is this Wednesday and Thursday (May 9th and 10th) from 11am-7pm. www.pawtucketopenstudios.com

There are a bunch of mills on the tour and it is an event geared toward promoting the artists, designers and businesses working in these great old buildings.

If you do attend, feel free to come on by the roastery for a cup of joe.

Gerra

• 1 month later...

My girlfriend, Beth, worked the opening party this past Saturday (last night). She said is was really busy from about 9 o'clock on, and there were three bartenders. It's a nice place, and while they still have a temp CO and not all their booze selection, the food smelled great and they have a real menu, not just a bar menu. They had music outside and in, and they've got pool tables and booths. Once they get rolling a little more, i think it's gonna be a great place to get a drink and meet some people, and very different from what a lot of other places are like. I need to get over there myself, I missed the opening party, but from what I hear, it's got this sports-bar/music-venue-in-a-mill feel to it that the Green Room/Snookers used to have, without the propensity to attract the eurotrash (because after all, it's still Pawtucket). It's only too bad that it is such a lonely destination right now, without too much else around it to attract more traffic.

• 1 month later...

PROJO:

"Hope Artiste Village in Pawtucket set to open

The first residential tenants of the Hope Artiste Village in Pawtucket will occupy the live/work studios in September. Among the tenants are Ahlers Designs, Warlick Furniture Design, Internal Arts, Warehouse on Earth, Jen McWalters Pilates Studio, The Hive Gallery, Rhode One Technology and Michael Green Sculpture. The village will hold an open house Sept. 14. Hope Artiste Village in one of the largest mill restoration projects in Rhode Island."

• 7 months later...

Archived