WNBA Team is Coming to Rogers!!!!!

KJW

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New name for the folks on this board: "Arkansas thinkers". (I don't think it was meant as an insult. )

BTW, an article in the News yesterday or the day before confirmed something we speculated on: according to the paper, the primary impetus the owners see behind ticket sales (initially, at least) will be Wal-Mart and the vendor presence (and that makes me wonder...I can see that group springing for much of the Texas League tickets, especially if the team had located to Rogers, but the WNBA? Hmmm...)

New name for the folks on this board: "Arkansas thinkers". (I don't think it was meant as an insult. )

BTW, an article in the News yesterday or the day before confirmed something we speculated on: according to the paper, the primary impetus the owners see behind ticket sales (initially, at least) will be Wal-Mart and the vendor presence (and that makes me wonder...I can see that group springing for much of the Texas League tickets, especially if the team had located to Rogers, but the WNBA? Hmmm...)

Can't get your link to work. As far as the teams go, for them to be successful the whole metro is going to have to get behind them. Benton County has a lot of things going for it and Fayetteville does have the university which will remain it's main sports draw. But I do think these teams also need to look to Washington County to be successful and while many of the teams will probaly be located in Benton County not all of them will be. I think a Texas League team has every right to be in Springdale as any other NWA city. Fayetteville has had to learn to share and that it's not the only 'center'of the metro anymore. But I think as much as Benton County has going for it, it also has to realize it also isn't the 'center' of the metro either and needs the support of Washington County as well. Not everything can be located in Benton County. :D

There is no way a WNBA team is coming to NWA. For starters somebody, or a group is going to have to pony up $10 million to get a franchise. Who in their right mind would want to kick in a few million for that? Also the WNBA is shaky as a league. They can barely keep franchises and attendance in huge cities. Several big cities have ended up dropping their franchises over the last couple of years. Google WNBA and read some of the articles about what's been going on the last few years. A rural state like Arkansas ain't gonna turn fans out in big enough numbers to sustain a WNBA franchise.

Welcome roninnwa to the NW Arkansas Subforum.

I think we can agree that WNBA coming to Northwest Arkansas is a longshot, but this investor group seems optomistic about bringing a league here. I'm not saying it's a done deal or anything, but the development the media has portrayed is very interesting.

There is no way a WNBA team is coming to NWA. For starters somebody, or a group is going to have to pony up $10 million to get a franchise. Who in their right mind would want to kick in a few million for that? Also the WNBA is shaky as a league. They can barely keep franchises and attendance in huge cities. Several big cities have ended up dropping their franchises over the last couple of years. Google WNBA and read some of the articles about what's been going on the last few years. A rural state like Arkansas ain't gonna turn fans out in big enough numbers to sustain a WNBA franchise.

Why are here posting? I have read all three of your post and you have done nothing about attack what is being done. You totally bashed the Barber Group, John Nock, and now the idea of a WNBA team in NWA. Sounds like this isn't quite the forum for you.

I haven't seen any kind of attack by roninnwa. All I saw was a legitimate opinion about a sport that has been receiving nothing but low opinions. The part about "a rural state like Arkansas" holds some merit, even if there are some states out there more rural. The fact is Arkansas is a rural state. I didn't see where roninnwa said NWA isn't good enough for a WNBA team... seemed to me he was saying the WNBA isn't good enough for NWA; or anywhere for that matter.

Let's try to cut new posters some slack unless there's a legitimate complaint.

I haven't seen any kind of attack by roninnwa. All I saw was a legitimate opinion about a sport that has been receiving nothing but low opinions. The part about "a rural state like Arkansas" holds some merit, even if there are some states out there more rural. The fact is Arkansas is a rural state. I didn't see where roninnwa said NWA isn't good enough for a WNBA team... seemed to me he was saying the WNBA isn't good enough for NWA; or anywhere for that matter.

Let's try to cut new posters some slack unless there's a legitimate complaint.

I'm with you. He didn't say anything others didn't, including myself.

Why are here posting? I have read all three of your post and you have done nothing about attack what is being done. You totally bashed the Barber Group, John Nock, and now the idea of a WNBA team in NWA. Sounds like this isn't quite the forum for you.

Remember that everyone is entitiled to their opinion as long as it's not a personal attack on this website.

Ron, welcome!

It will be interesting indeed to see how this plays out, won't it?

I reread my posts from last night and realized there was a bit more of grumpy old man in them than what I

I think that's why the league is looking into smaller metros. Ones that don't have other pro sports and are hoping that it might help draw more support to their league.

:rolleyes:

Guess we're loudmouths here in NWA (BTW, there are currently 14 teams in the "W"...so according to this we're looking at another 6-11 squads (which they think the league can hold)...again, don't count out Mayor Coberly (below):

mayor_photo.jpg

Orender would like to see the league expand each year with another franchise and said she currently has interest from five non-NBA cities. She said she sees the league leveling off around 20-24 teams. Of those currently interested, Bentonville, Ark., is the most vocal about gaining a franchise. City officials from Bentonville say they are more than willing to pay the $10 million for the rights to own a franchise.

Monarchs coach John Whisenant said there is enough talent to expand.

"This league has matured into a very competitive league," Whisenant said. "In the last four or five years everyone says there is much more parity."

Whisenant said even looking at his own roster, he knows if he played rookie Kim Smith more often she would be a playmaker.

"I think Kim Smith would be an outstanding player in this league, but she's not getting much of a chance (behind more veteran players)," Whisenant said. "I think in the next 10 years you'll see a lot of players you can expand with."

http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?acti...L-WNBA-09-05-06

(Northwest) Arkansas Business has a front page story on the sports influx into NWA...covering the LPGA events, the Arkansas Aeros and Stars, the Wranglers and the new Bentonville Arena. Among other things:

- Chris Talley of the Bentonville Arena group says NWA was the largest stand-alone market in the US not to have a pro sports team until the flurry of developments this year;

- The Bentonville/BV C of C president echoed that the WNBA presentation went "very well" but said a lot of things have to fall into place for NWA to get such a team;

- Mr. Talley said that he expects 25% of the visitors/revenue to the Arena to come from out of state;

- The president of the Springdale C of C said the Wranglers deal was never really about the baseball team, but all the ancillary development and money the stadium complex would generate.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW, DIPLODOCUS...GOOD JOB BY YOUR TEAM!

ROGERS -- A sports arena planned for Bentonville got a new name and a new city on Thursday morning.

The Northwest Arkansas Sports and Entertainment Arena, a $55 million, 9,000-seat arena, was slated to be located near the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport in southwest Bentonville and carry that city's name. Street infrastructure concerns forced the move to Rogers' Pleasant Crossing development, said Chris Talley, developer of the arena project, in a news conference at Rogers City Hall.

Talley and 12 investors have financing in place and expect the arena to open by Sept. 15, 2008, Talley said. He also announced a name for the expected WNBA team -- the Arkansas Diamonds.

The arena, which is to be located south of the Wal-Mart Supercenter at Pleasant Crossing, on the east side of Interstate 540, is planned to house both women's professional basketball and, possibly, hockey.

The only piece of infrastructure not in place for the 30-acre arena development is an overpass for Pleasant Grove Road at I-540, but Talley noted that the Nov. 7 vote in Rogers will make that happen.

http://www.nwaonline.com/articles/2006/10/...enachangewz.txt

Archived