Biotech institute considers Tallahassee for new facility

south park county

I didn't figure THIS was part of any existing topic :Phttp://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../608250356/1010 This article on Tallahassee.com tells all about it. This is exciting news because it mentions a high tech research institution eyeing us along with Orlando, Port St. Lucie, and Palm Beach for a facilty that will bring 200 science and laboratory jobs here. "A decision is expected soon".

CRAP! I just realized that's already been posted on the FSU thread. I don't read that one often enough. Sorry.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe now that we have Turbocor here other large groups are starting to notice Tallahassee. Maybe....

Exactly MR! That's why I'm glad we are just in the running for this. That's a prize by itself. If we don't get this company, then we need to study and learn and then act upon those problems of why we didn't get it. IMHO we also need to think and vote in this local election about candidates who can help get us more opportunities like this by resolving our conflicts between local govs. and the universities, those that can help us work on getting a true research park and those that are sincere about economic diversity and have a plan to achieve that goal.

Good find there BCH. As an ex-resident of Boca, I'll say it's gonna be very hard to beat their offer. What's even more difficult is to beat the location they are offering. Did you see how fast PBC and Boca (one of 20 something cities in PBC) got on the same page w/this deal? Our one city and one county could not get on the same page w/the Tuborcor deal. That MUST change and again we need to elect folks that can and will change that....can't say that enough.

The old IBM park site Boca is offering is a much more glamorous and prestigious than our sad old lonely site on Orange Avenue. Plus if they move folks from San Diego to FL, I'm sure they'd pick Boca or PSL or Tally since the two sorta look and act like each other.

The article refers to our (Tally) offer as the 11th hour offer. What gives w/that I wonder? Did we get in the game late? And most importantly, what is our offer and why do we in Tally know the details of the PSL offer and the Boca offer but not the details of our own offer?

Good find there BCH. As an ex-resident of Boca, I'll say it's gonna be very hard to beat their offer. What's even more difficult is to beat the location they are offering. Did you see how fast PBC and Boca (one of 20 something cities in PBC) got on the same page w/this deal? Our one city and one county could not get on the same page w/the Tuborcor deal. That MUST change and again we need to elect folks that can and will change that....can't say that enough.

The old IBM park site Boca is offering is a much more glamorous and prestigious than our sad old lonely site on Orange Avenue. Plus if they move folks from San Diego to FL, I'm sure they'd pick Boca or PSL or Tally since the two sorta look and act like each other.

The article refers to our (Tally) offer as the 11th hour offer. What gives w/that I wonder? Did we get in the game late? And most importantly, what is our offer and why do we in Tally know the details of the PSL offer and the Boca offer but not the details of our own offer?

I am intrigued with Tally's offer, what ever that may be. I doubt it would be enough, but as long as the city makes a decent attempt to lure such opportunities to the area I will be satisfied. At least it is a step in the right direction and it is nice to know we have some visibility on the national radar.

COT + Leon Co. + FSU + FAMU + TCC + State Gov. + St.Joes + Prayer = A Chance.

From the article that Seminole posted above:

"The hard part for us is finding how to get the city and county to participate in the deal," Law said, adding he has alerted local elected officials about the proposal.

Again I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I'm gonna be voting on 9.5 and 11.7 according to how they handle this project. First and foremost, in a normal city/county government world, Law would never have to worry or question their support. They should have already committed their full support. However, if they ALL don't step up to the plate and quit fighting and realize how HUGE this thing is and can be and fully support it in every possible way, well then they sure don't deserve to represent me in any way, shape or form.

From the article that Seminole posted above:

"The hard part for us is finding how to get the city and county to participate in the deal," Law said, adding he has alerted local elected officials about the proposal.

Again I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I'm gonna be voting on 9.5 and 11.7 according to how they handle this project. First and foremost, in a normal city/county government world, Law would never have to worry or question their support. They should have already committed their full support. However, if they ALL don't step up to the plate and quit fighting and realize how HUGE this thing is and can be and fully support it in every possible way, well then they sure don't deserve to represent me in any way, shape or form.

Agree 100%. I wish I could air that post as a commercial.

Take the following with a grain of salt:

I have learned from a very reliable source that Tally has a VERY VERY good shot at this. Again, the info channel is somewhat grapevinish and I cannot confirm anything at this time, but supposedly TP is already planning hiring phases in Tally. The source is in the human resources field and has current email exchanges with the TP human resources office.

I've heard a few other things, but I'll have to confirm all of this before I go crazy spreading rumors. I should know more by monday.

I spoke to Commissioner Katz at church today and he informed me that the city and county are all on board with this one. At this point its about trying to figure out what the institute wants so the city and county and prepare a package for them. Looks like this could be serious. I told him and Cliff Thaell today, either way this shakes down, its good that Tallahassee is a player.

I sent the following to the comissioners a few min ago--

"Hello,

As a life time resident (22 years) of Tallahassee, and now a graduate of Florida State University (soon to be going into medical school at FSU), I strongly encourage you to put together one heck of a deal for this institute to move to Tallahassee. There is no substitue for the economic boost and the people that this company would bring to Tallahassee. It would bring a much needed boost to our struggling (if you consider Tallahassee as even having one in the first place) biotech job market and encourage the growth of high tech jobs-- something that this city badly needs to keep some of it's brightest here. As a graduate of Lincoln High school, I know that many of my fellow classmates are not coming back to Tallahasssee now that we have graduated college because there are no jobs such as these-- the best are going to go where the best jobs are. However, I decided to stay and go to FSU in hopes that my city would one day bring in many buisnesses such as this. FSU, with their new medical school and emphasis on the biological sciences, is in dire need of buisnesses such as the Torry Pines Institue. This sort of industry will help attract brighter graduates to the area and students to FSU, and then help keep them around. I say, "Good job bringing Turbocor here. However, now it is time to really stand up and show that you are interested in making Tallahassee a major player in the biotech/high tech industry. Put together a package that Torry Pines cannot resist and bring them to Tallahassee."

Thank you, and I hope this falls on open ears.

Jack Laney"

"Hello,

As a life time resident (22 years) of Tallahassee, and now a graduate of Florida State University (soon to be going into medical school at FSU), I strongly encourage you to put together one heck of a deal for this institute to move to Tallahassee. There is no substitue for the economic boost and the people that this company would bring to Tallahassee. It would bring a much needed boost to our struggling (if you consider Tallahassee as even having one in the first place) biotech job market and encourage the growth of high tech jobs-- something that this city badly needs to keep some of it's brightest here. As a graduate of Lincoln High school, I know that many of my fellow classmates are not coming back to Tallahasssee now that we have graduated college because there are no jobs such as these-- the best are going to go where the best jobs are. However, I decided to stay and go to FSU in hopes that my city would one day bring in many buisnesses such as this. FSU, with their new medical school and emphasis on the biological sciences, is in dire need of buisnesses such as the Torry Pines Institue. This sort of industry will help attract brighter graduates to the area and students to FSU, and then help keep them around. I say, "Good job bringing Turbocor here. However, now it is time to really stand up and show that you are interested in making Tallahassee a major player in the biotech/high tech industry. Put together a package that Torry Pines cannot resist and bring them to Tallahassee."

Jack Laney"

thanks for that jack

"Hello,

............."Good job bringing Turbocor here. However, now it is time to really stand up and show that you are interested in making Tallahassee a major player in the biotech/high tech industry. Put together a package that Torry Pines cannot resist and bring them to Tallahassee."

Jack Laney"

Great Job Jack.

You don't by any chance have a brother named Ernest do you? I also went to Lincoln and I had to go through my year book because your name sounded familiar. I didn't see you but I recognized Ernest's face. Did you go to Swift Creek also?

Great letter again. I'm going to have to follow it up with a little something of my own to reinforce the great points that you've already made.

:thumbsup:

"At this point its about trying to figure out what the institute wants so the city and county and prepare a package for them"

I think they could of figured this out by the packages offered by other cities. I fear Tally might be moving slow here. Cross my fingers.

I am kind of surprised at the average...even below average traffic on this thread. This is hands down the biggest thing that has happened to Tally (possibly....hopefully), economic wise, than anything I can remember. This makes the Tubocor (sp?) deal look like chump change with you consider the possibilities.

I am kind of surprised at the average...even below average traffic on this thread. This is hands down the biggest thing that has happened to Tally (possibly....hopefully), economic wise, than anything I can remember. This makes the Tubocor (sp?) deal look like chump change with you consider the possibilities.

I think it is because no one wants to get their hopes set to high.

Archived