Biotech institute considers Tallahassee for new facility

south park county

Mayor Marks just got my vote (I was planning to anyway) b/c of what you said. What do you mean he seems the most excited? What's wrong w/these people?? They ALL should be jumping up and down, working 24/7 on this project and do whatever it take to make it happen. Hell, Debbie should vow to quit smoking if they come to town. :)

Dr. Law wants to put some finishing touches on the incentive package and re-address the City Commission on Friday. Mayor Marks pretty much insisted that the other commissioners be available on Friday to vote on moving to the next step. Everyone else just seemed so non-chalant about reconvening to discuss the incentive package - or maybe it was just my perception. Mr. Katz seemed to have a look of concern on his face because his question to Mr. Law was whether or not TP was aware that Tallahassee could not compete financially with the other offers. Mr. Law's responded with a yes, which was encouraging to me.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Mr. Katz seemed to have a look of concern on his face because his question to Mr. Law was whether or not TP was aware that Tallahassee could not compete financially with the other offers. Mr. Law's responded with a yes, which was encouraging to me. "

Tally can't afford NOT to compete with the other offers. This just shows you the mindset of local leadership. Also ignoring that FSU is offering 10 times that of what FAU was for one of the competing offers.

If local leadership was worth a hill of beans they would be pushing St Joe to also sweaten the pot, but St Joe also got sick of local leadership and their anti business mentality.

ALSO, FSU gave the state $5 Million to help it attract the Burhnam Institute to Orlando...you would think the EDC, Local Polititians, and FSU would be going to Jeb now and asking for some help here as a reward for FSU's team play.

Bottom line, if you aren't aggressive, hardworking, wisely thinking, and trying hard, you can't compete. Our politicians need to step up to the plate on this one.

another thought...where is Innovation Park, TCC, & FAMU with chipping in to bring IP to Tally? FSU is offering $30 Million. Shouldn't these others do something similar? I often here that they should all be equal in areas like Innovation Park governance and with the University Park idea. Shouldn't they all come equally to the table now?

another thought...where is Innovation Park, TCC, & FAMU with chipping in to bring IP to Tally? FSU is offering $30 Million. Shouldn't these others do something similar? I often here that they should all be equal in areas like Innovation Park governance and with the University Park idea. Shouldn't they all come equally to the table now?

I agree and where in the heck is Leon County govenment. This center will have regional implications and I don't understand how the county can come up with creative ways to raise taxes, but shy away from something as major as a new biotechnology center.:angry:

Well we haven't lost this race, so I won't bash the local powers that be .........yet. What is Oxymoron Park going to give in this context? I see why FAMU may be somewhat handcuffed at the moment considering they are thying to get back on track financially.

Well we haven't lost this race, so I won't bash the local powers that be

In that spirit of that good Karma, I sent my same letter to the Leon County Commissioners. I changed the part from the City letter where I thanked them for bringing Turbocor, to telling the County nicely that they let us down on Turbocor and this was their chance to make that mistake up to us.

That might even prompt Ole Bob to respond personally.

Like others here, I urge you guys on UP and you LURKERS TOO (I see you) to pop off a fast letter to all the City and County Commissioners about Torrey Pines and how important it is to our community. In this 11th hour they need to know we are holding them accountable. This is especially important since the Democrat has "dropped the ball" on getting the story out about how close we are to this thing. It only took me 10 minutes to do the whole thing and email them.

Here's a link to County Commissioners info.

Here's a link for City Commissioner info.

I'm sure most of you have seen this story about TP from the Democrat today. It's about time they ran another story. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I was disappointed in the story. It could have been much more in-depth like the other stories I read from down south. I would have enjoyed them getting comments from City/County Commissioners on how they feel about the project and what they are willing to do for it especially from those running for office again. I also find the headline very passive-aggressive negative, but then again I maybe nit-picking here.

T.P. STILL looking at Tally

Here's the reply I got from the Democrat Executive Editor about why it took them so long to run a story about T.P. I was very sad to learn they didn't take it serious b/c they didn't have faith in us or our offer. Of all people they should have been our biggest cheerleaders regardless of what they thought the outcome would be......well of course that's just my humble opinion.

Thanks for the note. You are right, we would have liked to have had the story first. However, I do think that a story about Palm Beach not getting the project might understandably appear first in the Palm Beach Post. We are in close contact with Bill Law and others about the project and have been for more than a week. We have reporters working the story here, in Port St. Lucie (which we always thought was the top competitor because of the size of their offer) and via our Capitol Bureau.

Bob Gabordi

Quick edit here: Just received a reply from B. Rackleff. I won't publish it since I know him and he talked a lot of personal stuff w/me in the email. Bottom line, we WILL NOT support any subsidies for Torrey Pines (he still thinks PSL has it locked) and is proud NOT to have supported Turbocor. He's all about monies for start-up local companies. I am too, but I'm for both. I don't think it has to be a choice. Anyway I thanked him for his reply (he's the only one that has replied) and told him it saddened me greatly that come 9.5 based on his growth and economic issues, he would not be receiving votes from my household. :cry:

Looks like you get your wish SJ, two votes here for Mayernick. :shok:

I'm sure most of you have seen this story about TP from the Democrat today. It's about time they ran another story. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I was disappointed in the story. It could have been much more in-depth like the other stories I read from down south. I would have enjoyed them getting comments from City/County Commissioners on how they feel about the project and what they are willing to do for it especially from those running for office again. I also find the headline very passive-aggressive negative, but then again I maybe nit-picking here.

No you are not being nit-picky, I got the same impression from some of the Commissioners during Dr. Law's presentation yesterday. I felt like Mayor Marks and to a lesser extent Commissioner Katz were on an island by themselves. I hope it's all my misinterpretation, I really do. If anyone sees the recorded meeting please let me know if I'm being a little too harsh.

Like many of us here on this forum, I to am very frustrated at how nonchalant our community leaders seem to be on this issue (except for Dr. Law & Mayor Marks...Thank Goodness!) They don't seem to have any fight in them. As many others have already stated, our community leaders should be working in concert with each other & present a united front to Torrey Pines that we really do want them to locate here & we're willing to fight for the business. Is it because decision day falls on the Friday before a long holiday weekend or would they react this way any day of the year? Who really knows why but it's pathetic! (again, except for Dr. Law & Mayor Marks) I also have just e-mailed all our City & County Commissioners insisting that they stand up & fight for TP to locate here & to present a united front for the sake of our community. Also, a contact of mine who is pretty high up within St. Joe Company told me this morning that, as far as he knew, they have not been contacted by the City, County, FSU, or anyone else about being a partner in this TP deal. That's a crying shame if that info is indeed accurate. The largest private landowner in our entire State sitting right here underneath our noses & they don't even get asked if they would be interested in participating in a project like this... :angry:

Another update: Just got an email from Thaell. He's ON BOARD for Torrey Pines. He wants it bad, but he too thinks that PSL has a lock on it b/c of the Letter of Intent they sent last week that TP has publicly stated is NON-BINDING.

He blasted me for accusing him of NOT supporting Tuborcor. He reminded me that he DID vote for it and also made a trip to Montreal to visit them. Great news from Cliff. His email was charged up and he's in full support of T.P.

Looks like "Cliff's a Keeper" in my household.

This T.P. deal sure it making is easy in helping me decide on these difficult voting choices.

One last update: Just got another email from Democrat Executive Editor and he stated that Dr. Law asked them NOT to take the story to the local politicians in order not to "turn this into a political free-for-all." The Democrat says they are very much on board w/this project and fully understand its importance.

On Preview: You are RIGHT Glenn, not even asking St. Joe to participate is insane.

Quick edit here: Just received a reply from B. Rackleff. I won't publish it since I know him and he talked a lot of personal stuff w/me in the email. Bottom line, we WILL NOT support any subsidies for Torrey Pines (he still thinks PSL has it locked) and is proud NOT to have supported Turbocor. He's all about monies for start-up local companies. I am too, but I'm for both. I don't think it has to be a choice.

HOW ABSURD!!! So he's just ready to lie down & give up & we're only in the 3rd quarter! Do they ever stop to think about how many " start-up local companies" might result from a project of this magnitude locating in our community??? UNREAL! Take your frickin' heads out of the sand & realize we operate in a global marketplace & our community leaders (actually non-leaders) have all got to get aggressive & pursue deals like this because they don't come along everyday! Why can't they see the big picture??? Do they not think that existing local businesses will benefit from something like TP coming here? And do they even stop to think about how many new local businesses might form as a result of TP or something similar locating here? I am extremely aggravated with Rackleff & most all of the others right now....unfrickin' real!!!! :angry:

HOW ABSURD!!! So he's just ready to lie down & give up & we're only in the 3rd quarter! Do they ever stop to think about how many " start-up local companies" might result from a project of this magnitude locating in our community??? UNREAL! Take your frickin' heads out of the sand & realize we operate in a global marketplace & our community leaders (actually non-leaders) have all got to get aggressive & pursue deals like this because they don't come along everyday! Why can't they see the big picture??? Do they not think that existing local businesses will benefit from something like TP coming here? And do they even stop to think about how many new local businesses might form as a result of TP or something similar locating here? I am extremely aggravated with Rackleff & most all of the others right now....unfrickin' real!!!! :angry:

Agreed. When you mix ignornace and ego, well, this is what happens.

A vote for B. Rackleff is a vote for no new job growth, economic growth, or Tally growth. That is the bottom line.

If a district 5 elects him, Tally deserves not to prosper.

[br][br]I think Frank M can beat him if folks who want to see Tally prosper clearly look at this issue.

Quick edit here: Just received a reply from B. Rackleff. I won't publish it since I know him and he talked a lot of personal stuff w/me in the email. Bottom line, we WILL NOT support any subsidies for Torrey Pines (he still thinks PSL has it locked) and is proud NOT to have supported Turbocor. He's all about monies for start-up local companies. I am too, but I'm for both. I don't think it has to be a choice. Anyway I thanked him for his reply (he's the only one that has replied) and told him it saddened me greatly that come 9.5 based on his growth and economic issues, he would not be receiving votes from my household. :cry:

He's proud? :shok:

^I co-sign. Tallahassee needs ALL the economic & job growth it can get. I'll be the first to say that I want Tally to prosper. Therefore, the one who is about progression is the one who gets my vote.

As an outside observer, I take the liberty of interjecting some advice into your discussion. To say the least, a Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies (TP) partnership with FSU holds equal or greater potential in terms of scientific and economic impact as the The Burnham Institute going to Orlando and Scripps Florida building its east coast campus in Jupiter. As Floridians, we would take comfort in PSL as a second option, but certainly that location would not offer the conditions to turn the TP opportunity into a transformative investment. At best, a deal involving PSL would lead to a third-tier life sciences cluster in our admittedly third-tier life sciences state.

It seems that your community is at a crossroads and my hopes are with you. However, the situation calls for true leadership.

My contribution to the debate, and I trust that someone can act upon it, centers on recent headlines regarding the legal disputes between Prof. Robert Holton and his MDS Research Foundation versus FSU and its president.

To both Prof. Holton and the President of FSU, take what has been an acrimonious clash of personalities and (otherwise legitimate) priorities and come together to build a biotech industry in Tallahassee/Florida. Specifically, I respectfully suggest:

1. Holton/MDS commits the $12-plus million just returned to him by court order to the TP venture. Holton partners with TP/Houghten and together build the world-class synthetic organic chemistry program that he envisions in the context of TP's drug discovery efforts.

2. FSU adds to its current $30 million land/services offer by "refunding" the other $18.5 million that Holton wanted back in the form of postdoctoral fellowships/researchers to staff TP/Holton and provide transitional space for TP in the new interdisciplinary chemistry building already under contruction. FSU and Holton both retain their honor, as the $18.5 million becomes an interest-free loan that FSU "repays" with doctoral students, postdocs, lab space, etc., over say 7-10 years as part of the incentive package for TP. Meanwhile, FSU keeps the actual cash donation to finish the new chemistry building and welcomes Houghten/TP/Holton there, maybe 2 floors for TP/Holton, while TP's own 100,000 sq.ft. state-of-the-art facility at the FSU science park is under construction.

I hope these ideas do not seem far fetched. I sincerely believe that Holton and FSU's president working together could turn a nasty affair not only into a partnership with TP but launch Tallahassee into the vanguard of biomedical research nation-wide, especially in drug discovery and development.

Can someone contact Holton and FSU with these thoughts...

Onward and upward.

Don Quixote

Very good points Don Quixote and welcome to UP-Tallahassee! I'm digesting all your comments & running the numbers before I respond in more detail. Thanks for bringing up another angle for us all to consider on this issue.

Thank you, Glenn.

I have sent messages today to most of the major parties involved but fear they may not entertain the proposal to the extent that you have, even if it reaches them at all in this late hour.

Nevertheless, I am truly heartened by your support and look forward to your critical analysis of the numbers.

Don Quixote

What a shock, the COT & Leon Co. blew it again. LOL, the only reason I'm not insanely pissed about this is the fact that I'm almost done with school and leaving this aggrevating, underachieving region is starting to look like a blessing.

What a shock, the COT & Leon Co. blew it again. LOL, the only reason I'm not insanely pissed about this is the fact that I'm almost done with school and leaving this aggrevating, underachieving region is starting to look like a blessing.

Frankly, I don't understand. FSU verus PSL should have easily favored the former on rational, objective criteria. Even in terms of economic wealth, how can a third-tier town McDonaldized suburb have more resources to draw on than the capital of the fourth most populous (and hence powerful) state in the Union?

I am not partial to either city in a narrow sense, but to risk tens of millions in taxpayers' money in an attempt to build a biotech cluster in Port St Lucie rather than alongside one of our very few promising public institutions makes absolutely no sense, scientific or economic.

The so-called city and county leaders that failed to raise matching funds should be let go into the private sector to learn how flat the world has become and how increasingly backward and impoverished our State will find itself thanks in no small measure to megamaniacal, incompetent, and vulgar elected officials, from Tallahassee to Miami.

I will also say that some credit is due to PSL. Whatever their vain and hopeless aspirations, the city likely mortaged its future on the Torrey Pines venture by financing it with up to $70 million in impact fees (taxes). At least it is bold, even if they have virtually no chance of attracting major bio/pharmaceutical industry firms, given their lack of a skilled workforce, poor primary and secondary education system even by FL standards, and underdeveloped infrastructure.

As for TP, its president must naturally seek the best offer for the organization...

Alas, where is Jeb on this one?

Archived