Biotech institute considers Tallahassee for new facility

south park county

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a shock, the COT & Leon Co. blew it again. LOL, the only reason I'm not insanely pissed about this is the fact that I'm almost done with school and leaving this aggrevating, underachieving region is starting to look like a blessing.

Frankly, I don't understand. FSU verus PSL should have easily favored the former on rational, objective criteria. Even in terms of economic wealth, how can a third-tier town McDonaldized suburb have more resources to draw on than the capital of the fourth most populous (and hence powerful) state in the Union?

I am not partial to either city in a narrow sense, but to risk tens of millions in taxpayers' money in an attempt to build a biotech cluster in Port St Lucie rather than alongside one of our very few promising public institutions makes absolutely no sense, scientific or economic.

The so-called city and county leaders that failed to raise matching funds should be let go into the private sector to learn how flat the world has become and how increasingly backward and impoverished our State will find itself thanks in no small measure to megamaniacal, incompetent, and vulgar elected officials, from Tallahassee to Miami.

I will also say that some credit is due to PSL. Whatever their vain and hopeless aspirations, the city likely mortaged its future on the Torrey Pines venture by financing it with up to $70 million in impact fees (taxes). At least it is bold, even if they have virtually no chance of attracting major bio/pharmaceutical industry firms, given their lack of a skilled workforce, poor primary and secondary education system even by FL standards, and underdeveloped infrastructure.

As for TP, its president must naturally seek the best offer for the organization...

Alas, where is Jeb on this one?

Really!!! They had me thinking that the decision had alreday been made. :huh:

"Local economic development officials say despite their best efforts, their bid falls short of what California-based Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies will need for a new research facility in Florida."

Sounds like towel has been tossed in the ring. PSL must have wanted it more.

Tallahassee is content with low paying state and Wal-Mart jobs.

FSU came up with $30 Million. We heard no other figures from anyone else in town...I wonder why. We all know damn well they either werent' there or they were weak. Not only were they weak, the powers that be did nothing to get St Joe involved. This just sucks.

WHere was FAMU with $$$? How about TCC with the $$$$? The city also? FSU came to the table but you can be damn sure they will get crapped on like normal by city politiicans in the future despite trying so hard to bring high paying, high tech industry to the area. FSu has one hand tied behind it's back with the local yocals running our economy.

When FSU wanted to build a research park (University Park) it caught HELL because all these parties demand equal voting despite not putting in equal resources. This is just another example of Tally having a bunch of short sighted instutions that at best are 'hangers on' content to demand equal benefits but they won't do equal lifting.

Don't ever expect tally to have any concentration of high tech, biotech, etc. The writing is on the wall. Our politicians think "the Dollar Store" while other cities in this state are thinking silicon valley. Pathetic.

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet-Tallahassee DQ :yahoo:

Thank you so much for your intelligent insight on this matter.

For a City and County that pride themselves on being among the smartest in Florida, we've got a bunch of stupid idiots in charge around here. What good does it do to turn down this type of "Once in a lifetime" opportunity given our need for more jobs in this community and our desire to diversify our economy, namely with clean industry. What better way too put Tallahassee on the map than to bring in a major institute capable of so much innovation.

Ratcliff can kiss my black a**. I'm not a person who uses dirty phrases like that, but truly it is how I feel right now. His pride, and ignorance is standing in the way of my lifelong dream to see Tallahassee become a world class city. I'm not crazy, but right now I feel like acting like I am.

I'm going to write a letter to each and every commissioner, university president, and player in this matter to let them know where we/I stand on this issue. Ratcliff doesn't have to worry about me or my support anymore. Everyone here supports local business, but this is for the better of the community and he's not wise enough to see that.

Edited to add:

This is the letter I've sent to all commissioner's tonight

Dear Commissioners:

What's wrong with you people!? Honestly, don't you see what's happening here? Tallahassee/Leon County is in the position to lure genuine diversity to the local economy and we seemingly concede to Port St. Lucie?

I've heard rumor that FSU, and FSU only has offered $30 million worth of incentives to lure the Torrey Pines institute, where is the money from FAMU, TCC, Capital Regional Medical Center, Tallahassee Regional Hospital, The City of Tallahassee, Leon County and others? Why is this not a priority for this community to invest in ITS OWN FUTURE?

This is truly frustrating for me and many of those I've spoken to on this issue. I don't normally take this type of tone with elected officials, but you all are supposed to work for the better good of this community and its citizens and that's not happening. Elections are around the corner, surely this will not be forgotten when my family and I cast our ballots.

Mayor Marks, Commissioner Katz, Dr. Bill Law, and FSU deserve special recognition for trying to do all they could to rally support (If you've worked to support this and I've failed to mention you, my sincere apologies). If this institute does decide in Tallahassee's favor, it will be greatly to their credit. For the rest of you who aren't intelligent, creative, or brave enough to make this investment in the Capital City of America's Fourth Largest State, I leave you in the hands of the good Lord.

Sincerely,

T.J. Lewis

Tallahassee Citizen

:angry:

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet-Tallahassee DQ :yahoo:

Thank you so much for your intelligent insight on this matter.

For a City and County that pride themselves on being among the smartest in Florida, we've got a bunch of stupid idiots in charge around here. What good does it do to turn down this type of "Once in a lifetime" opportunity given our need for more jobs in this community and our desire to diversify our economy, namely with clean industry. What better way too put Tallahassee on the map than to bring in a major institute capable of so much innovation.

Ratcliff can kiss my black a**. I'm not a person who uses dirty phrases like that, but truly it is how I feel right now. His pride, and ignorance is standing in the way of my lifelong dream to see Tallahassee become a world class city. I'm not crazy, but right now I feel like acting like I am.

I'm going to write a letter to each and every commissioner, university president, and player in this matter to let them know where we/I stand on this issue. Ratcliff doesn't have to worry about me or my support anymore. Everyone here supports local business, but this is for the better of the community and he's not wise enough to see that.

:angry:

First off, it's not Friday yet and as far as I know, the fat lady hasn't been heard from. There are folks working as we speak and it's still possible we might pull it off. I'm pissed about this too, but not that much at Bob. I disagree with him, but where is Grippa? Where is DePoo? Where is Sauls? Where is Proctor? Where is all this pro business leadership that crowd is susposed to be so famous for? Where is Desloge and the Chamber?

I appreciate that Bob is about supporting the homegrown businesses. I'm one of them and except for the big political spenders (real estate/construction/road builders, etc.) we get squat in terms of attention from local government. I think he's (Bob that is) wrong on this, but maybe not. We've had that biotech company that Holton started out across from the old Sams for what, 4 years or so? I haven't seen any local businesses (except for the afore mentioned real estate/construction, etc.) prosper from them being here. The same thing goes for the new compressor plant out in innovaton park, or that Israeli military contractor (also in Innovation park). Where are the local spin-offs that those (heavly funded) businesses our tax dollars helped to create?

Folks, just like politics, business development is all about "follow the money". Ask yourself who's going to make money from this deal if were to happen. That's what is being discussed behind closed doors right now. The good old boys are trying to figure out how they can make a buck from this lab coming here. They don't care anything about new jobs or making life better for anyone except their own buddies.

So don't be so sure that Bob's as much of a boogie man as you guys are making out.

"I appreciate that Bob is about supporting the homegrown businesses"

Name one. FSU is the 1st or 2nd biggest in the city and it's president recently wrote an article discussing what FSU brings to the area in terms of jobs and stated that the local area need to support and invest in FSU. Nothing. So Bob isn't supporting FSU.

Name a business he is supporting. Saying it and doing it are two different things.

The other issue is I would MUCH rather attract a high tech research company to town that could create spin offs than say 'support' our local ABC liquor business or Walmarts.

Spin offs take critical mass and in a concentrated area. Tally has no real research park and no critical mass. To argue that high tech doesn't work that well because we have 1 reserach spot by itself near a walmart as an argument not to bring more....that is just a weak argument.

Bob is a complete ZERO. Honestly, I can't even believe you attempt to defend it. Your entire argument makes zero sense also.

I would never vote for Bob R. He means failure for Tally. If he doesn't get voted out of office, Tally deserves everything it gets (or doesn't get in this case)

Name one. FSU is the 1st or 2nd biggest in the city and it's president recently wrote an article discussing what FSU brings to the area in terms of jobs and stated that the local area need to support and invest in FSU. Nothing. So Bob isn't supporting FSU.

Name a business he is supporting. Saying it and doing it are two different things.

The other issue is I would MUCH rather attract a high tech research company to town that could create spin offs than say 'support' our local ABC liquor business or Walmarts.

Spin offs take critical mass and in a concentrated area. Tally has no real research park and no critical mass. To argue that high tech doesn't work that well because we have 1 reserach spot by itself near a walmart as an argument not to bring more....that is just a weak argument.

Bob is a complete ZERO. Honestly, I can't even believe you attempt to defend it. Your entire argument makes zero sense also.

I would never vote for Bob R. He means failure for Tally. If he doesn't get voted out of office, Tally deserves everything it gets (or doesn't get in this case)

stjoe, I agree with you 100%. I understand your passion on this issue and I ask that you keep it up. I've written letters to just about everyone I can think to write a letter to. Now I just have to sit back and pray.

Thank you all for standing up for Tallahassee's future.

Actually I named three. Holton's pharmacutical research company is pretty large, high profile in it's industry. I guess we didn't spend tax dollars on it. We did spend tax dollars (a lot of them) getting the Israeli folks here and have recently spent more on getting the Canadian company here. We haven't gotten any benefits that I can see from the Israeli's and it's looking like all the big jobs at the compressor plant are going to outsiders. Look at all the new research companies that have moved to town because the Mag Lab is here. Oh wait, except for a spinoff that sells ties with photomicrographs on them, there don't seem to be any.

Joe, I'm with you on biotech being on balance a good thing. I'd like us to be finding cures for cancer and diabetes and heart disease etc. It's a pretty clean industry. It brings smart (and progressive) people to town. I really want this deal to happen. It will be good for me if it does for lots of reasons including financial ones. I'm just pointing out that the real discussions going on around this issue by the people who count, are all about who is going to make money out of the deal. Nothing wrong with that. I like making money, but let's not fool ourselves and talk about new jobs or "spin-offs". It's going to take a lot more than a few little labs to make that happen.

FSU came up with $30 Million. We heard no other figures from anyone else in town...I wonder why. We all know damn well they either werent' there or they were weak. Not only were they weak, the powers that be did nothing to get St Joe involved. This just sucks.

WHere was FAMU with $$$? How about TCC with the $$$$? The city also? FSU came to the table but you can be damn sure they will get crapped on like normal by city politiicans in the future despite trying so hard to bring high paying, high tech industry to the area. FSu has one hand tied behind it's back with the local yocals running our economy.

When FSU wanted to build a research park (University Park) it caught HELL because all these parties demand equal voting despite not putting in equal resources. This is just another example of Tally having a bunch of short sighted instutions that at best are 'hangers on' content to demand equal benefits but they won't do equal lifting.

Don't ever expect tally to have any concentration of high tech, biotech, etc. The writing is on the wall. Our politicians think "the Dollar Store" while other cities in this state are thinking silicon valley. Pathetic.

TaureanJ and others,

I am grateful to one and all for your response to the proposal for a Holton-Houghten/TP-FSU/Wetherell alliance. Although I wish that I could offer some good news, I will share with you the following commentary that I published elsewhere tonight:

President Wetherell has personally responded to my message! Unbelieveable! Suffice it to say that you are fortunate to have him at the helm at FSU--it's the first time that I ever heard of a president/CEO of any major organization, public or private, actually reading, and much less replying, to an ordinary citizen's or client's concerns. An honor indeed...

Alas, the night is dark. Apparently no money is forthcoming from the city/county or local developers/donors, as in Orlando's landing of The Burnham Institute.

As far as his response to my inquiry, President Wetherell simply hinted that it was too late in the process to entertain my proposal and that, unless the State came through with more funding, TP in Tallhassee would never be.

Can any "insider" among you implore Prof. Holton to intervene? He has both the means and the mind to sway Houghten/TP and approach President Wetherell to jointly save the day...

A long night ahead...

Don Quixote

People don't stay in the same job forever. In a few years these out of town might find a new job and where are they going to look for replacements at?

The question will be where will they go to look for new people? Will they recruit nationally? Or look to FSU and FAMU for people?

These places are great for interships also.

Go for it TJ. I'm not going to give you his address or phone number, but a smart guy like you can find the address in about 15 seconds in public records on the internet, along with the name that his phone is listed under.

He is correct. A search of the LCPA took about 10 seconds...time for you to walk the walk!! (seriously, you need to).

What really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really pisses me off is that WE LOST TO A DAMN SUBURB!! Tallahassee had all the advantages except for desire from the local leadership.

Again, I'll kick the hell out of this horse until it is nothing but vapors. I can't except that the powers-that-be are this inept. Seriously, when will it end? Is there a conspiracy out there to keep Tally stagnant? I have lived outside of both Tuscan and Austin. Both cities have many similarities w/Tally, especially Austin, but the difference is their leadership. Not only do they capitalize on their oppertunities, but they actively seek them as well. Get this, I know it's mind boggling, THEY ACTUALLY SUPPORT THEIR UNIVERSITIES!!

Voting is commonly a choice between the lesser of two evils. That being said take a look at the individuals who are running for local office. No compitence in the incumbents, or electees. Until individuals that have at least a smidgeon of vision start running nothing will ever change here.

TJ, that means you have to run for local office at some point. It doesn't seem that you will be leaving Tally anytime soon and it seems that you are already better qualified then 3/4s of the tools we mention on this board. Decisions, or lack thereof, in the same manner of TP force people like me out of town. I have two kids and I'm not paying my dues in Grad school and Law school just to receive minimal pay from a underacheiving job market.

"Having a major research institution in your community is a huge advantage," Day said.

........if used to your advantage properly. Even if by the sweet graces of GOD Tally did land this thing, why would a competion with PSL be so close? Do we really lack the resources in this community? Could ST.Joe, Devoe Moore, FAMU, TCC, or hell even Ted Turner not hook us up in some way? We can't sqeeze out enough funds from said sources to fund a freakin' building?

We lost this because of a building....a BUILDING.

FSU came up with $30 Million in incentives. Could ALL the other players in town now come up with a building between the rest of them? The bottom line is the players in this town, minus FSU, don't want to invest in something to make it happen.

Here is the other rough news folks. Other areas in the state now have such a concentration of high tech that in the future Tally won't even be considered. So this whole "well we learned from it schtick" is complete and total BS spin to cover for the fact that we have horrible leadership and no vision. Period...the end.

If Tally gave this a good shot and lost...fine, but they didn't. They had 1 player, FSU, willing to fight for this. The rest just watched the action. Tally did not fight hard for this, so I think this all sucks. I am tried of the BS political spin.

I will not vote for an incumbent this election.

I agree with that stjoe. For there to be absolutely no other offer other than the $30 Million from FSU says alot. Is there no 100,000 sq.ft. building sitting vacant in this city? LOL! Probably not, which is good. Other than those darn grocery stores.

To me it sounds like TP WANTS TO BE IN TALLAHASSEE! If they're as smart as they say they are, they won't let our not having a 100,000 sq.ft. building stand in their way.

Like BHCav said, why would Tallahassee be on the same court as a suburb offering twice as much money? The answer is, TP probably wants to be here more than we think. Either that or they're trying to use us to run up the offer from the PSL. Either way, I hold the stance that local leaders are either very smart, or very stupid.

Thanks for those articles.

It sure would be nice to have an extra 100,000 sq.ft tower downtown.

I'll say it again...my friend that works pretty high up for the St. Joe Company says as far as he's aware, they were never asked about donating land or participating in this deal! If Core Communities can donate 20 acres in their Traditions development don't you think St. Joe, the largest private landowner in the entire State of Florida, could come up with 20 acres to donate as well? Is it really just a building that kept this whole deal from happening? This whole fiasco is just simply UNBELIEVABLE! I will pray that the good Lord above will forgive the incompetence of our local community leaders (ha!) and smile down upon us all at decision time.

Archived