Biotech institute considers Tallahassee for new facility

south park county

Great Discussion Here! I would like to offer five points as answers for discussion.

Political

We need a friend in the governors office along with our two US Senators who would be willing to work together to help bring in more business and services to the capital city. During past eight years, we have a had a governor who has made his name by being perceived by the rest of the state as anti-Tallahassee and our two senators have been very apathetic to all things Tallahassee. I voted for Jeb, however, his policies have done much to harm our efforts to lure businesses to the capital city.(for expample, absolutely no offer of help in getting TP to Tallahassee). It should be the policy of the state, to make its Capitol a center piece for the rest of the state. (i.e. Atlanta, Albany, Raleigh, Jackson, Nashville, Austin, Sacramento, etc.) Most of the state of Florida has historically had a hostile outlook on all things Tallahassee driven by the media of South and Central Florida.

Local Government Cooperation

VOTE THE RASCALS OUT!!! We, the citizens of Tallahassee, must become informed voters who understand the importance of voting and make sure ALL those who are anti-business gets the boot.

Support FSU to become a World Class Research University

I could write a book on this, however, the entire community needs to get behind FSU and FAMU in their efforts to draw outstanding talented professors and deans who are research oriented and have plans to take their respective departments to new levels of excellence.

For example, the FSU school of medicine, could become the foremost research school in pediatrics by concentrating on child care research. I don't know how many children's research hospitals are in the state, but we could definitely use one here in North Florida. The spin offs from such a facility would be numerous. Pediatric health care field is always in demand. A can't miss opportunity!!!

Expand the Airport's Mission

See airport threads. Can't really add anything here which hasn't already been stated. International cargo is the way to go. Establish a foreign trade zone around the airport to attract international shipping companies. Also, the airport needs to continue to assist Fed Ex, DHL, Flightline and other air cargo/air maintenance users in their expansions. We need get UPS to establish an air cargo facility here as well. Finally, be relentless in attracting a discount carrier back to the airport. Establish an independent web site for the Airport thats informative and user friendly and regional in its mission.

Support Regionalism

Leon County EDC and the Tally Chamber of Commerce must develop a regional strategy. We have got to make Thomasville, Bainbridge, Cairo, Appalachicola, Quincy, Havana, Monticello, Madison, Live Oak, Crawfordville, etc. feel a part of the Capital Region Family. We must be inclusive. When we have this "Go it Alone Mindset" we all lose and are relegated to the back of the bus when the benefits are being handed out. If this entire region was working together to bring businesses and other services to the region and worked with each other to meet needs, then we will become an economic powerhouse! The benefits are incalculable.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very insightful and intelligent post SD! Vote the rascals out is a great saying!. But what if we don't? Proctor is already back in and looks like Ratcliff will be too............so is progress still possible w/these guys still in office?

Your regionalism idea is heads on. I'm a huge advocate for us combining our strengths. I thought that w/the TP deal. If they couldn't find land or a bldg. in Leon why not look in the surrounding counties? Couldn't a bldg. like TP wanted be built cheaper and faster say in Gadsden County in the Midway area either at the 90/10 park or the new JOE park where the Bud place is now?

SD your airport ideas have always been great. We definitely need a guy like you on the airport authority board. Have you or anyone here ever even been to one of their meetings?

I don't think Charlie or Jim will be a good friend to Tally along the lines you are talking about, do you?

Finally SD and SJ have come up w/the problems that exist and measure on how to fix them. Now my question is where to start? Where would you begin the initial step in the long long process? Who would you begin it with and on what part of the process would you begin it? I'm talking the first "baby-step" here. Ideas from anyone are appreciated.

Poonther,

I thought I did what you requested when I listed these:

"*FSU needs to expand it's mission statement for the Med School to include research.

*FSU's med school needs a teaching hospital. Wheither that is TMH or the new hospital at St Joe's Southside, I don't care, but it should also include residencies.

*The city and county MUST be willing to offer financial incentives to bring in research. It doesn't have to be to the level's of other areas, but it can't be zero dollars like it pulled with Torrey Pines.

*FAMU & TCC must contribute dollars to attract high tech just like FSU. IF these institutions insist on being mentioned as equals with equal votes, they most pull their equal weight. If found it convienent how no local power or media mentioned FSU offered $30 Million to Torrey Pines, but nobody else offered squat. If these entities, as well as the city/county want to be players, they need to stand up to the plate. The reality is all 4 of these players (TCC, FAMU, City, County) act as if they would rather have equal say in very little than have FSU lead with a lot of high tech research. It is the wrong attitude.

*St Joe needs to be brought to the table to bring in high tech. Specifically setting up a research park, something at least 1,000 acres. St Joe did try to bring in business to the area some years back, but got frustrated with the anti business attitude of local politicians and gave up.

*It must be understood by all powers how critical mass is needed to produce high tech spin offs.

*Visiting Austin, Raleigh, & Madison on tax payers dime must end by local politicians. They went to these areas to learn and refused to emulate what these areas do to bring in high tech. Just a waste of tax payer money."

Also, I agree with the other poster who said "vote the suckers out of office". Basically get rid of all the incumbents. Sure there might be 1 or 2 that are OK, but Bob Rackliff, Deb Lightsey, Cliff Thaell, Proctor, etc....they had there chance and failed.

Great Discussion Here! I would like to offer five points as answers for discussion.

Political

We need a friend in the governors office along with our two US Senators who would be willing to work together to help bring in more business and services to the capital city. During past eight years, we have a had a governor who has made his name by being perceived by the rest of the state as anti-Tallahassee and our two senators have been very apathetic to all things Tallahassee. I voted for Jeb, however, his policies have done much to harm our efforts to lure businesses to the capital city.(for expample, absolutely no offer of help in getting TP to Tallahassee). It should be the policy of the state, to make its Capitol a center piece for the rest of the state. (i.e. Atlanta, Albany, Raleigh, Jackson, Nashville, Austin, Sacramento, etc.) Most of the state of Florida has historically had a hostile outlook on all things Tallahassee driven by the media of South and Central Florida.

Is it the case of Jeb not doing enough to lure businesses/etc to Tallahassee, or is it the fact that all the other major cities in the state provide much more incentive at the local level, and appeal that really just blasts Tallahassee out of the water?

I cant think a business would want to be in a town that a Governor helped get them to if the local governments dont want them there. Sure, they would be located in the town, but then it could make for shaky and unfriendly local government relations.

Is it the case of Jeb not doing enough to lure businesses/etc to Tallahassee, or is it the fact that all the other major cities in the state provide much more incentive at the local level, and appeal that really just blasts Tallahassee out of the water?

I cant think a business would want to be in a town that a Governor helped get them to if the local governments don't want them there. Sure, they would be located in the town, but then it could make for shaky and unfriendly local government relations.

Thats why I stated in my next pointer to do the following: "VOTE THE RASCALS OUT".

We need to find out who is anti-business and and anti-growth and vote accordingly.

Poonther,

I thought I did what you requested when I listed these:

You and SD both did and both of you guys came up w/brilliant ideas. However what I'm getting at is exactly where'd you start it off. Which idea would you first start and how would you do it? If the "powers" were presented your plans, they'd immediately put it on the back burner or commission in about 5 years a study. :angry:

So let's say you are the guys in charge. What would be that first initial step? Would you form a meeting of all the players: County, City, FSU, FAMU, TCC and folks from the surrounding counties and give them each a task to perform? Or how would you do it?

Reason why I'm asking is often times in this community we have the right ideas, we just don't know where or how to start implementing them. Of yeah and just assume the same RASCALS will still be in place, so you need to work w/them or around them.

Last point, while I agree that JEB! working w/some folks in our community would be difficult, make no bones about it, JEB! has never been a friend to Tally.

I appreciate that Bob is about supporting the homegrown businesses. I'm one of them and except for the big political spenders (real estate/construction/road builders, etc.) we get squat in terms of attention from local government. I think he's (Bob that is) wrong on this, but maybe not. We've had that biotech company that Holton started out across from the old Sams for what, 4 years or so? I haven't seen any local businesses (except for the afore mentioned real estate/construction, etc.) prosper from them being here. The same thing goes for the new compressor plant out in innovaton park, or that Israeli military contractor (also in Innovation park). Where are the local spin-offs that those (heavly funded) businesses our tax dollars helped to create? So don't be so sure that Bob's as much of a boogie man as you guys are making out.

One I don't believe any tax money went to Holton's Taxalog place. It's just really administrative offices. The real research is and has always gone on in NJ. As for the Israeli company, they created another business in town and the original company is one of the top ten private employers in town w/over 200 people.

Now today, look what the spin off company is doing:

$15 million dollar contract

As for Tubocor, they aren't up and running yet, so who knows what will happen there.

I'm for investing money in local start ups too IN ADDITION to bringing companies to town. My question for Bob R. is if this is SO important to him, why has NOTHING been down yet w/that money? It's been what over 6 months since the Tuborcor vote and I've read nothing on the County Commission agenda about a plan to implement "this project" ole Bob R. is so passionate about. So yeah, ole Bob maybe the boogie man. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived